Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

that Vai sound posted:

I'm on the eastside of the lake, so getting over to Seattle for coffee is not the quickest option. But since I'm not in any particular rush, it might work for starts.

Another Eastsider here. Now I'm sure there are many different ways of going about this and let me suggest probably the shittiest one.

I started drinking coffee at lovely diners back when I lived in Wisconsin. There's only one way to go from there.... up! I'd probably just go to a breakfast place like the Brown Bag Cafe (hell, even Denny's) or something else around here and getting standard drip coffee. The way I look at it is this:

If you've never had beer before, don't start with something like Sint Bernardus Abt 12. You'll only spoil yourself and might have a difficult time learning to appreciate the better things. Start with Miller Lite. Cheap, not much flavor (but better than Bud), easy to drink (in mass quantities). Coffee, as well as beer is generally considered to be an acquired taste. As you begin to develop a taste for it, you might discover that you want to try something better. Then you can start exploring better options.

All of this being said, I'm not a huge coffee drinker and would like to explore more of it myself. I drink at least a cup or two a day but it is usually just drip. Luckily, I now live in a great part of the country to see what the world of coffee has to offer. I'm not a snobby dick when it comes to coffee, but since I started with standard lovely diner stuff I can now aspire to be a snobby dick and hopefully will be someday. :colbert:

Basically, start small and work your way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

nm posted:

lovely coffee will just make someone think they don't like coffee.

Very true, and I wanted to mention this but didn't because I'm retarded. Don't drink BAD coffee/beer at first because then you may be turned off by it and never bother trying it again.

However, this is where we differ. I don't find diner coffee to be bad. I don't consider Miller to be bad. If someone offers me either, I won't turn it down because it isn't good enough for me. They are just fine, but maybe not good or great.

My point was to establish a baseline. If you go straight to the top then you are missing out on everything along the way and will probably put you on the fast track to being an offensive douche. If you start at the very bottom then you may end it right then and there and not even bother to try it again. Perhaps somewhere in the middle is a good place, although I'd suggest a little further down. It's the journey that makes it fun. :v: