Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just recently accepted coffee into my life. Like I'm not even sure if I truly like it yet but I went and got myself a French press and will probably start down this rabbit hole. Reading about grinders and self roasting is scary. I just want something better than office garbage keurig.

Feels like college and starting with natty and upgrading to craft brew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Picked up an unused Oxo cold brew system at goodwill for $10. Is it worth it to have a dedicated cold brew system or was my French press really good enough? Guess I should make a batch and compare really.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm looking for a replacement coffee brewing timer. I was using Intelligentsia's app which was perfect but I guess its no longer available in the app store. A simple timer that allows me to change the style of brew along with yield and does all the calculations is all I really crave

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Got an Encore as a wedding gift. If I upgrade the burr would it even be possible to churn out a halfway decent cup of espresso if I went with a robot or the like?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What recommendations are there for ship to house fresh roasted coffee? Nowhere local sells roasted stuff and I don't want to gently caress with roasting it myself.

Goon coffee in SA Mart is good

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I will only trust the word of Hoffman. Get him to do it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Who even needs heat? Cold brew

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress it just take caffeine pills who needs flavor!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So I have a robot and want the occasional milk drink. What's the most reasonable way to get some of that good good milk? Any particular frothers or steamers worth looking into?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m fuckin in for any and all free coffee

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I occasionally break out in hives and get real flush. It’s very inconvenient because it’s so inconsistent.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The holidays call for egg nog as a way to spice up your coffee.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I keep buying coffee from dumb Facebook deals that make you pay $8 shipping and you get like 2lbs. I need help I can’t drink this much this fast

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Legit question but is a 2 cup measuring cup not good enough?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

James Hoffman French press and aeropress methods are tops.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Upgraded burr and stepless mod should get you decently far.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The market would probably also literally blow up trying to make something cheap that can withstand 8 bars of pressure of boiling water

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I remember staying at an AirBnB in Paris and fumbling with their moka pot and it was absolutely the worst coffee I ever had. So of course bought one from a goodwill and never used it in hope of making it work.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That’s a very unfortunate color and shape at a glance

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So the upgraded burr and the double step mod?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh nice. I still need to order from them.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Have you tried the multi step mod for dialing in the fiber end? You can get passable espresso but those fine adjustments are why it’s considered not a great pick for espresso. It could be the beans, freshness, whatever are just sitting between the two adjustments that it craves.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have a robot and use a encore. It’s serviceable. You can also get the pressurized basket that gives for even more room for coarser grinds. Robot good and recommend as a means to get into quick and good espresso.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

*Laughs in cafelat robot*

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is there no chance they'll just replace it at this point?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I love making cold brew but the shear amount of coffee required puts me off a bit unless I can find some super cheap beans. I wonder how that would compare.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Drink your normal cup and also pop a caffeine pill

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Coffee Vac is a good value option that Hoffman liked

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lightly longer preinfusion to soak the puck then ramp up? Sometimes I notice my extractions miraculously get better without any changing of variables so it's likely the age of the beans that is effecting it.

Like said above though, if it tastes good I wouldn't worry super much about channeling unless you're getting bad cups.

edit: Just saw that you do WDT so thats prob not it

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 24, 2022

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is it his voice is actually getting used up or just different mics\editing that's creating the effect?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Honestly the upgraded burr is probably the way to go. Sure it’s nice having a fancy new machine but you’re absolutely going to get the best value just throwing in the new burrs.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

One of us one of us

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Robot with the pressure gauge is also pretty important if you do go that route. You could absolutely be blowing past 9bar very easily

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I got blue

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Google Butt posted:

I'm thinking yeah, that's the one.

Also had a random monthly moment of excitement for my kaffelogic. Does anyone know how legit the ready to drink profiles are?

drat December is gonna rock. Excited to have the ability to roast extremely small batches of beans (80g minimum) from an 8lb sweet marias espresso sampler, to then immediately experiment with the Robot. Shits never gonna get boring!

Might as well throw in a nanofoamer for a semblance of milk drinks!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Robot update: Tried to go a little finer on the "fine" setting of my Vario W and choked the shot.

I backed off back to where I was grinding and it pulled fine. Still don't know if I'm making "good" espresso, but it's not bad. Maybe I will need an espresso grinder. :X

Before diving into another grinder you can try getting the pressurized basket and seeing the difference. The other basket will allow for you to grind a bit coarser so you won't necessarily need an espresso level grinder

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spice jars are probably your best bet. You can get some fancy looking ones

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Go to your local goodwill and get a new one that will almost assuredly be there

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea that review makes me want to see how the Baratza ESP is going to turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have a robot and I like it. It makes for a neat counter top piece too. Join us!