Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Did the previous version not come with one? They for sure had one available since you can see a different looking one on the alternativebrewing video that's on the campaign as well as any current product listings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you usually use darker roasts, a lighter roast tends to have more caffeine.

I thought this is for the most part not true

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

I want my kaffelogic now thanks.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

Ok Hoffman is absolutely just making videos specifically for Hames Joffman now (and I love it)

Is this the one about the coffee balls

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

I want my kaffelogic now thanks.

Hopefully this year :ohdear:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

For sure. To be honest, even if it's end of CY23Q1, it'd be well within my expectations even though they initially said septemberish given all the things happening around the world. Would obviously like it sooner though

At least I should be early in the list if they go in order

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Shipping in blocks of 50.. my contribution id is 10 :)

quote:

Contribution Numbers 1 to 200: Commence shipping 6 December to 16 December

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

:f5:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

On this basis we hope to have them clear customs and arrive at our factory in Dunedin mid-late next week. This means the first block of 100 backer units should be on their way before Christmas.

Those first 100 backers will be recieving emails to confirm on tuesday or Wednesday next week
:f5:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I finally got around to cleaning the scale out of my regular kettle, and now it pours too fast to do a v60 easily! So now I’m looking around for other options for pouring kettles.

Let the scale build back up :v:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Kaffelogic shipping information received :heysexy:

I have mine now :D

Well really it was here a couple days ago but it shipped to a different address so I had to pick it up

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Not going to bother with a picture because pictures of roasts don't really show anything of value. First impressions using default profile set to roast level 2.5 (med-light), default level is 3 (med):
1. Not having to pick out chaff by hand rules. No beans entered the chaff collector and no free chaff was left with the beans.
2. Very even roast, though I believe this is typical of air roasting
3. Seems to handle its max listed capacity (120g) just fine. Total time was about 7-8minutes heating, 4 minutes cooling
4. Nice that I can actually reasonably do lighter roasts
5. It's really loud, which probably shouldn't be surprising.
6. Wish the cord was a bit longer. Like even a foot longer would make a big difference for being able to empty the thing easier without having to unplug it.

I haven't bothered with their software thing yet. My previous method was a stovetop popcorn popper which isn't the most precise of instruments.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

There are way more options now, and I think the skerton is probably a waste of money at this point since there are many better options at similar or not too much higher price points. Just about anything from 1zpresso is good, though you have to navigate their models to find what you actually want, and in some cases (e.g. x-pro) finding a retailer that will actually sell you one. On the cheaper side, kingrinder is like a lower budget and/or knockoff (???) version of 1zpresso, which itself is arguably copying the commandante. From what I've read kingrinder does lose some features like being able to adjust the zero point on the adjustment ring, but it's also substantially cheaper. Even lower than that, I think people have generally liked the timemore c2.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ZP6 was the pourover one. It's exactly $200. The only other cheaper options probably worth considering from 1zpresso for pourover are the X Pro or Q2, the first of which needs to be imported if you're in the US. I got mine from a canadian shop. While the X can calibrate its external adjustment ring, it can only do so in increments of a couple clicks at a time, where I feel like the K-max can do so within single clicks, but it's ultimately not the biggest of deals.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

eke out posted:

- my heating element died roast #17, but they responded quickly and immediately sent a replacement unit without any hassle, no complaints

my heating element went out even earlier, and that's counting the setup "roast," and I'm pretty sure I've heard other people having this issue too. I wonder what's the deal with it...maybe the whole "turn it upside down and shake to get beans out reliably" might not be doing it any favors.

Hopefully they figure something out at some point because dying in under 20 roasts is pretty bad. Other than that, my least favorite part about it is the whole "pick up the entire roaster and invert/shake to empty" step.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

yeah I have no clue, I just hope it's not something that's just going to keep happening. Perfectly possible it could be an early run thing since I was in the first set of shipments

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

If anyone cares, 1zpresso is selling the X-Pro for the US market now. I like mine well enough for what I paid to a canadian retailer, but 1z has the j-max on sale for the same/cheaper price, and I think you'd be crazy not to get that instead unless you want something smaller.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The j-max is pretty cheap right now if you were going to go manual

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

A manual grinder for 14-16oz is probably like 40 seconds of grinding depending on a bunch of things like grind size and how fast you're turning the thing

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Something Awful Forums > Goons With Spoons > Coffee: crankin' it until I have a sloppy puck

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

My understanding is that the encore *can* grind fine enough, especially if you use the little calibration thing they have inside it at the finest setting, but its steps are pretty large for espresso so you might have only 1 or 2 clicks that work remotely well, and its distribution isn't necessarily the most consistent. Maybe good enough, maybe not depending on your standard of good enough

also *points at thread title*

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

According to the video, this grinder is made by a company that basically does OEM work, making grinders for other companies to rebrand. But I'm not familiar enough with this market to tell what's a rebrand and what's a knock-off.

These two things are not mutually exclusive OP

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Microcline posted:

Looking at the OP, I'd say the Saeco Aroma is about what I want at a reasonable price. However, the OP is from 2011 and it doesn't seem to be manufactured anymore.

Is there a modern equivalent?

If you're near me, you can have mine.

The saeco aroma at the time was more or less a gaggia classic with a different skin.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

bizwank posted:

There are a number of super-auto Saeco and Gaggia machines that are nearly identical inside, but the Aroma and the Classic have nothing in common other than both being home espresso machines.

Guess I'm remembering some "fact" that was actually just speculation from over a decade ago. Either way I wouldn't recommend one since there's a reason I don't use it much

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Glockamole posted:

I was thinking about getting into roasting lately. 8 oz of coffee gets me through 10+ days, for context of how much coffee I drink. Are there any glaring reasons not to try an SR800?

Depends on if you will want the extended roast chamber, either the official extension tube or aftermarket like razzo roasting, since they make things easier even if you're not roasting more than the stated capacity of the standard chamber. Once you buy one of those, especially the razzo one, it cuts pretty heavily into the value proposition of the sr800 vs something more expensive.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Sir that is very clearly the sr540

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I'm an idiot and ordered the turin legato / CRM3007L. Surely I will not regret this

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

My Capresso grinder finally died after 9 years. Are you guys still recommending it, or is there something better at that price point?

Is 150-200 'at that price point' for you? I'm not sure there's really been much new/interesting in the $100 range in the last decade other than hand grinders, and the capresso remains sub-100

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

There absolutely are affordable geishas out there now, just generally not grown in Japan.

I got a 12oz of a Colombia Geisha that was absolutely incredible for about $22.

Uh. Do they actually grow it in japan? Wouldn't it be ethiopian in this case? Note that the variety is properly called gesha

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

lmao a hell of a line without context

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

It's a messed up naming thing. It definitely was called geisha at certain points, but I think the preference is towards calling it gesha these days as they both refer to a name in a different language, but one links it to a japanese thing while the other doesn't.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

If you're willing to go up to 250, it may or may not be worth looking at the following as well:
1. Kingrinder K4/K6 if you don't mind hand grinding and want to save money (120-140). These have external adjustment but you cannot reset the zero point unlike many others.
2. 1zpresso Q2 heptagonal if you want something portable want to save money, and don't mind hand grinding (110)
3. 1zpresso K/J/X ultra/max or zp6 depending on your preference if you want a nice hand grinder, (150-200).
4. Baratza encore ESP. It's baratza for better and worse. It can actually do espresso out of the box. $200
5. Turin/MiiCoffee 40mm conical chinese rebranded burr grinder (SD/SK/D40). 150-200ish right now on preorder, presumably arriving soon since it's waiting for customs clearance. This one is only just now coming the US market, so it's not clear how many teething issues it will have like the DF64 had, but it's seemingly been very well received by youtubers. The stepless versions of these can do espresso.
6. Fellow ode. Maybe you can find one of these closer to $250. Whole latte love has it listed at 300 and there's one amazon listing at 289.
7. Fellow Opus. $200

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Seems like the solution is an Aeropress that you can shake

The Russians used a spoon

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Bandire posted:

There's currently a big Reddit panic (yeah I know, sorry) about the new Gaggia Classic Pro EVOs. Allegedly the non-stick coating inside the boiler is flaking off and coming out it tiny chunks. Its most obvious when running the steam wand into an empty cup. Whole Latte Love and Gaggia themselves are looking in to it.

Not sure if anyone here has a new EVO, but its worth keeping an eye on if this turns out to be more than a Reddit circlejerk.

nothing like a cup of fluorocarbons in the morning

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

What’s the going rate for a bag of beans from y’alls roaster of choice? This afternoon the baristas at my local place were discussing the owner’s most recent price change that took their cheap blend bag from $16 to $18.50, or the old price for their better single origin bags.

Whatever beans I order from sweet marias + equipment deprecation and like 3 cents of electricity :v:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Let's be real, the money going back to growers is probably minimally different between buying it from a roaster and sweet marias. The price difference is mostly going to the roasters, distributors, and their landlords.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Home roasting pays for itself quick as gently caress man, I'll never regret picking it up years ago. Picked up 5lbs of Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Halo Beriti for $40

Much like home brewing it depends on how much you spend on equipment :P

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Google Butt posted:

My kaffelogic heater element died and I need to order some good rear end espresso beans in the meantime. Any suggestions?

The durability on these things seems like they leave something to be desired

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I guess the df54 is on the way. I am half tempted to get one even though I absolutely will not need one in march unless I want to have dedicated grinders for espresso/filter as well as one for decaf. One is a hand grinder, but still....

Well that and the hand grinder I have at the office lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

My timemore 78 came in today :woop: