Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I definitely forgot to put the catch cup once. I don't recommend that

I don't feel like there's play in the dial, but it's also stepless so if it's not aligned with numbers, its because I put it there unless you meant something else. The line for indicating setting is terrible and hard to read, but I already knew that

No idea about retention, but one neat thing that I've heard is that since the knocker tends to retain mostly fines, you can choose whether you want them depending on if you're doing something like espresso or pourover. I haven't bothered measuring how much, but a decent amount did come out when I ran it while adjusting from 4 to 2.

Spin up time is kinda whatever to me since I was hand grinding before, and for espresso it's like 100 some rotations for 17g. The power button is on the wrong side of the grinder for where I want to put it, but if I move it to the other side, then I may as well have gotten the df83v or something. I probably will try to not move it though. They probably should have just made the lid fully sliding instead of magnetic where you slide it from half on to closed after putting beans in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

thotsky posted:

If you want the most uniform distribution you want the grinder to run at a constant speed, but since the motor takes a few seconds to get to it you're kind of forced to do a hot start.

I mean that's true for any electric grinder. I was mostly commenting that even with that, it's significantly faster than hand grinding

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

What features are you actually looking for? For example, a couple different things can be marketed as preinfusion--line pressure preinfusion from plumbed in machines, steam pressure preinfusion, and 'turn the pump on for x seconds' preinfusion. Like anything in these kinds of hobbies, people will argue to no end on which is the best and why everything else is terrible.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone have an E61 compatible bottomless portafilter they like? The one I ordered got refunded because they couldn't get any in stock, and I want one so it's easier to get a cup under the portafilter. Bonus if the same place sells blind baskets

Also any baskets they like? I got an IMS big bang which has been nicer to work with than the stock ridged baskets, but it's not made of steel so the dosing funnel I have barely sticks and it's annoying

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 23, 2024

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The bottomless there says only compatible with decent, while the spouted says compatible with decent, e61, and lm

Apparently that's only on the build your own. The assembled says compatible with all idk

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I just ordered a normcore because I can get it tomorrow thanks jeff. Basket will be a bit longer because finding vendors for these things is surprisingly annoying

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

And if 24 hours wasn’t enough to effect flavor once ground no one would be grinding every morning.

Has anyone actually tested that though? There's a definitive link between time and staling, but it's meaningless if the difference is too small to be observed. And it feels like everything in coffee that isn't explicitly tested is something that someone decided, with or without testing, was best/true and everyone took for gospel from then on. Then years later, someone tests it and finds out whether it was bs all along or not. Plenty of examples of this in homebrewing, and apparently now in home espresso as well. Really any hobby.

That being said, you may as well grind daily if you grind at all, because it's not like it will be worse, and it should be more consistent.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

trilobite terror posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xve2vums4Ac

I hope this sets up a Hoffmann crossover episode someday

How big of a puck would this have to be to be 9 bar

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Assuming i didn't do the math wrong, it would have to be a roughly 3.4 meter puck

Edit: i forgot the 9 part of the 9 bar or something. Apparently a mere 2 meter puck. either way lol

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 10, 2024

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Get the Nanofoamer Pro and say goodbye to microwaving and wand faff

Instead, say hello to impeller spin out

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Gunder posted:

Nah, they're flow/pressure profiles that the Decent can do. You pick one from the menu and it does its thing according to whatever the profile says.

I mean in theory they could try to do it on a robot

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Is there an actual claim that 'seasoning' in grinder terms is the same idea as a cast iron pan? I was under the impression it's more or less just a way of saying 'breaking in,' and is more or less the coffee equivalent of playing a bunch of pink noise on your new headphones before actually using them.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Jhet posted:

This is the same conversation that wine connoisseurs were having in the 1980s about California wines versus French. Turns out the vast majority of people won't be able to taste the difference, yes.

Assuming we're thinking of the same thing, that was completely different, as that was more of an ingrained old world > new world bias in wine rather than anything to do with being able to tell them apart. Like the coffee equivalent is more like people still thinking kopi luwak is higher quality coffee.

Also a lot of those distribution charts are wildly deceptive, or at least the same thing can be represented in wildly different ways to draw different conclusions. The default view for particle size distribution for a lot of things seems to by volume, in which case fines make up a relatively small percentage of the distribution. But if you change it to surface area or particle count, suddenly it's just all fines, so a "small" change may or may not be in fact very small.

Either way, who cares, if you like the coffee you're making then that's what matters at the end of the day.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Still amazes me how complicated they can make a pour over.

Who, people making coffee machines, or people on the internet discussing the best way to do a pourover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

If you enjoy the ritual part of it, would you consider a good quality hand grinder?

Lord Stimperor posted:

There is no other way