Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I got a Chemex for Christmas and I'm pretty excited to finally use it properly tomorrow (I've been away from my goose-necked kettle, so I've been improvising with a teapot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Some of them have an auto shutoff that turns off like 2 minutes in. The one I use will stay on for over 4 minutes so it's useful if you do pour overs.

Mine does that, but if I keep prodding it every so often it'll stay on long enough.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

RichterIX posted:

Has anyone had good luck brewing fruit bombs in an Aeropress? I'm out of v60 filters so I'm going to tinker with it some, but I'm guessing I need to keep the water temp pretty low?

I quite like this recipe from my regular cafe. I'm not sure if it'll work for anything suuuuuper fruit heavy, but they've never made me a bad coffee before.
https://youtu.be/rcXhKdaZ3F4

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

I accidentally bought Geisha beans today. $30 NZD for 250g. They are delicious though so it’s not all bad.

Which roaster are they from?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Gunder posted:

I recently discovered another important aspect to improving my pour-over technique that's both easy to replicate and makes a large difference in flavour: pour height.

It's mentioned in the most recent Scott Rao pour-over video.

Basically, you want the kettle to be as high as possible, without being high enough that it creates the "splashing noise" when the water hits the slurry. You can see a demonstration of what I mean at the 3:43 mark in the video.

Since paying attention to this variable, my coffee has improved noticeably. There was a research paper mentioned in one of the comments on the video that went into exhaustive detail about the physics of exactly why this is important, but YouTube has helpfully eaten that comment, and I haven't been able to google for it. Hope this information helps some of you improve your coffee!
Tried this out this morning, and got maybe the nicest cup of coffee I've ever made at home. I was trying to get the most out of these beans and I've finally managed to get all that peach to come through cleanly.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

gret posted:

Just buy it from Hario directly? They even sell the superior(?) non-tabbed kissing lovebird filters.

https://www.hario-usa.com/collections/filters

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I bought a clever dripper the other day, and have been using the Hoffman recipe, and the results have all just been... OK. I'll keep tinkering, but I must be doing something wrong, because the coffee is coming out pretty weak and bland. I know it's not the beans' fault because they're perfectly good done with an Aeropress and a V60.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Cool, thanks for the tips. Sounds like it'll be a grind size issue and/or a brewing time issue then. I've left the dripper at work over the weekend so I'll try it on Monday and report back

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 9, 2021

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Cool, thanks for the tips. Sounds like it'll be a grind size issue and/or a brewing time issue then. I've left the dripper at work over the weekend so I'll try it on Monday and report back

Tried a finer grind and a sliiiightly longer brew time this morning, and was very pleased with the results. Much happier with the Clever Dripper now, that was a really nice cup of coffee.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

withak posted:

That is a normal and natural part of the chemex's lifecycle. You just order another, larger chemex and continue as before at increased capacity

:yeah:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

For a camping trip where space so limited that instant coffee is the only option, what are people's recommendations?

Camping? Surely this is your chance to use a bripe like God and Paul Bunyan intended.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

"How is it?"
"Not great, not terrible."

Edit so this isn't just an empty meme:
I ordered a Prismo attachment for my aeropress this morning, does anyone have any insight on how to get the best results from it?

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 6, 2023

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah but now you need to buy twice as many! Infinite growth baybeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I once accidentally filled the hollow of my aeropress' plunger with water, then spent thirty seconds trying to figure out why things weren't working how they should. Not my finest hour.