Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

pnumoman posted:

I usually toss the last sip due to sediment, but when I don't want any sediment at all I just put a coffee filter under the press.

Sounds about right. I usually only have to deal with it if someone poked a hole in the filter because I typically do drip coffee. I'm thinking about picking up an aeropress because it looks like it'll make sediment free coffee, but I'm somewhat concerned about the need of a hot water source. Specifically, I can see me being way to lazy to do it. Just to highlight how lazy I am, I often use a keurig because I just stick a pod in and push a button. Not much other reason though. Are there any good solutions for this (e.g. electric tea kettles perhaps)?

On another note, when I do brew coffee besides that, it's "ground" in a blade "grinder". I'm thinking about replacing it soon, but counter space could end up being an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GrAviTy84 posted:

you answered your own question. I just have this Aroma brand one I got from Target for 22bux. Stainless steel, fast, works well.
I just wasn't sure if tea kettles would heat to a proper temperature. Looks like I need to put in an Amazon order :cheers:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lord Dekks posted:

Just wanted to pop in and re-iterate what someone posted back on the first page of the thread, that a cheap grinder and fresh beans is still going to blow pre-ground store bought coffee out of the water.
Yeah I figured that was the case (also I saw that in this and the previous thread). I just don't like the little blade grinder too much. I'll probably just run it into the ground before upgrading.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

lemoz posted:

After reading this thread I have decided to dive in to the deep end. NO more shall my coffee be from Starbucks !!!!!

I bought an Aeropress and a hand crank grinder, which will arrive tomorrow. I will also be getting some fresh roasted beans from my local roaster. I fully expect to be blown away by my first cup or this thread is the best form of false advertising ever :colbert:.
I liked the wonderfully accurate description of the Starbucks Roast. That stuff is one of the things that I always use milk/sugar.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Aeropress just came in today :3:. Makes pretty strong coffee when following the directions, but after adding water to get to "drip coffee strength" it seems significantly weaker. Any suggestions?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

traveling midget posted:

Any recommendation on electric kettles with programmed temps? Or is a regular kettle and a thermometer easier/better?

I know someone mentioned a Cuisinart electric kettle earlier in the thread. From what I can tell from the tea thread, it's accurate to +/- 2 degrees (but C or F?). I'm not too picky so I'm using the Aroma kettle and just going by cooling off from boiling.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I should probably find a good (and preferably relatively inexpensive) source of coffee beans. Someone in my house keeps buying Starbucks when it's on sale for roughly 7-8 dollars a bag. Probably the big thing that I get hit by is shipping when buying online which seems to add about 5 dollars. I'll probably check by a local coffee shop and see if they sell beans and if so, how fresh they are.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If I want a decaf for when I feel like having coffee soon before going to sleep, what are good (preferably inexpensive since it'll likely be around for a while) options? I know that the water process decafs are supposed to be good, but I'd like to see if I can get something for maybe 10-12 dollars a bag including shipping if applicable. I suppose I could just order two bags (one decaf one regular) from somewhere.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

that Vai sound posted:

Are you sure you need decaf for that? Good quality coffee (arabic) has less caffeine than generic coffee (robusta). I typically have one cup of coffee a day, and sometimes none, but one cup in the night won't make a difference for me. Of course, the alcohol may be helping out with the sleep. Have you tried normal coffee in these cases before?

Yes I have tried it, and it does end up making it difficult to get to sleep.

nm posted:

Remember that basically you need a higher quality coffee for decaf than regular as the process leaches the flavor out. A bad place to cheap out.
Good point. Looks like I'll just put in a two bag order to Counter Culture or something to that effect.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gravity Pike posted:

People expect Starbucks to "taste like Starbucks," every time, wherever they are in the world. The only way to get such a consistent roast is to burn away any of the origin characteristics, so only the roast characteristics remain. Consistency is more important than quality.

Yet they still bother to get beans from different origins for some reason (probably just so that they say they do). As for the brand consistency reason, that's probably a good part of it due to the brand mentality that seems to be prevalent.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

nm posted:

In fact, my understanding is that they buy decent quality beans. Not exactly single origin small estate stuff, but better quality than average. And they they ruin it.
I think it is the consistency and ease issue, but it is a shame.
Also, a lot of people really buy the "dark roast=flavor" thing as light roasts from grocery stores generally tastes like water.

My point was that despite roasting it to the point that you probably can't tell where it came from, they still bother buying those beans.

EDIT: Oh wait you were agreeing with me :coffee:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
For now I put in an order to see if Green Mountain's whole bean stuff is any good. I ordered the Mocha Java, which seems to have pretty good reviews, and a random water process decaf blend. Should I play around a bit with single origin coffees as well, and if so, what is usually good to try (Kenya, Sumatra, and Ethiopia are already on my list)? Moreover, is Green Mountain at least a decent source?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jyrraeth posted:

Also I successfully got my boyfriend using a french press instead of instant coffee. Finally!
I assume that you also got him to upgrade the beans too, correct? The main thing keeping me from doing french press is that I do like my cup of coffee to be clean (i.e. no silt/sediment). I've been using an Aeropress for a couple months now and it seems to work pretty well :).

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rockcity posted:

Actually it's french press that does. Caffeine content in coffee is largely related to brew time so a full steep in a french press is going to get the most caffeine out of a coffee bean. By serving size, espresso has the least amount of caffeine out of any brew method so anyone who talks about the whole boost thing it's in their head. A latte is going to have less caffeine for the same sized cup than just a cup of drip brewed coffee. Beyond that, coffee used for espresso tends to be darker in roast which also reduces the amount of caffeine in the beans themselves.

That doesn't sound entirely right. I don't feel like going in to look at the hard copy of the journal, but assuming that the wikipedia article on the caffeine content of coffee copied the data correctly, 2 oz of espresso has almost as much caffeine as a 7 oz of drip coffee. I don't know what it means by brewed in this case, though I would assume it means something like French press. Granted, caffeine content varies on both the roast level and brewing method so that could be an artifact of what roast level was chosen. The Mayo Clinic page listing some caffeine contents also shows roughly the same results, though it again uses the fairly generic term of brewed. This is all of course, dependent on the methods, which I can't access due to one article not being available electronically (to me anyways) and Mayo Clinic being terrible at citations.

I like how you say that espresso has the least amount of caffeine and then use the comparison of a drink that tends to be like an eight fold (or at best four fold) dilution. Even if your comparison is accurate (which it is), that has no bearing on the relative caffeine concentration unless you also dilute the drip or french press by an identical proportion. If you mean that people think they're getting more caffeine out of things like lattes just because it's an "espresso drink" yeah that's dumb since it's diluted.

By the way I'm only going from a concentration perspective. In reality people don't drink the same amount of espresso as they do drip coffee because that would probably induce some twitching.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 6, 2013

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rockcity posted:

It gets even more exaggerated with a 20z where now a cup of coffee vs. a latte has around 3x the caffeine.
It probably doesn't help that there's the same amount of caffeine in the 16 oz servings as the 20 oz servings. In fact, unless something changed, it's actually worse than what you said (based on Starbucks for the sake of stereotype). In the 12 oz latte I think there's only a single, and a double is used for both the 16 and 20 oz servings. For some reason I thought I read something about concentration (or interpreted equivalent serving as equivalent volume) :downs:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rockcity posted:

No worries, just wanted to make sure things were clear on verbiage. I think most people just assume that because the flavor is stronger and it's more concentrated that it has more caffeine. It's roughly the same amount of ground coffee, but the time it takes to extract it is what affects how much caffeine comes out of the coffee itself (ignoring roast). Espresso has the least by serving, then probably aeropress, drip coffee is next, then probably something like a clever, followed by french press.

Aeropress depends a bit on the method used (e.g. Inverted vs following the manufacturer's instructions), but I don't know what amount of steep time drip gets.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Steve Yun posted:

I would like to make that ice cream. What do you mean by a doubleshot?

It probably means two shots of espresso (roughly 2 oz)

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Does anyone know if it's possible to get just the filter holder for an aeropress (I.e. Black thing that holds the filter in place)? Mine seems to have gone missing.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Steve Yun posted:

Google "aeropress replacement parts"

Apparently the answer for the time being is no because the supplier is out of stock. Welp time to order a pourover since it will share filters with my drip machine.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Archer2338 posted:

You mean this place? http://www.aeropress.com/aeropress-replacement-parts/
They seem to be taking orders still...
(Ordered from there before, was legit).

The specific part I need is listed as out of stock

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fart Car '97 posted:

Are there any decent smaller form factor, conical burr electric grinders? I don't need a hopper that holds two week's worth of coffee at a time but every decent electric grinder seems to fall in roughly the same size bracket.

They're mostly similarish in terms of countertop space since the cheaper ones have big hoppers and catch bins while the pricier ones meant for single dosing have bigger motors and/or burrs. The capresso infinity is probably the smallest stock configuration on the cheap ones, though baratza sells a single dose hopper if the hopper size is the main concern. After that we're on probably looking a price jump to stuff like thats more in the price range of the Fellow Ode (flat burr) or Niche Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Here are Hoffmann's videos for the Neo and 58 if that would help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye5Amz7ddYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X84AYoNEQw