Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tippecanoe posted:

The water at my new apartment seems to be quite hard and my coffee is tasting sludgy and boring again, so I may return to using Third Wave Water in the end. Outside of a cafe setting I think it makes more sense to use prepackaged water solutions rather than going all in on an RO system and design your own water; very few cafes even do that yet.
Wouldn't it make more sense to grab a specialized de-hardening filter? They are cheaper then the general filters or bottled water.
They are pretty common in larger hard-water areas, around here the preferred brand is Brita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

Grounds act a bit like sand and can clog a sink pretty easily. Toilet drains probably have a higher tolerance but I still wouldn't chance it, personally.

The dance between putting grounds in the trash and not pouring water into it is the #1 reason I avoid using my FP, and every time I think there has to be a trick to this I haven't figured out yet.

The trick is to pour most of the dry grounds into the trash, before washing it. That way there won't be enough grounds in your pipes to clog them. And if you use a drain filter, the larger clumbs will end up there and go into the trash from there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone got some instant coffee laying around that they can test this on? If it works I’m not gonna buy instant coffee but it might be handy to know for hotel stays

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeWyQoBv/

Pouring water on brown rocks to get brown water? That works. I don't have speakers where I am right now.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

if he's a coffee snob and is interested in a moka pot now I'd put good money that he's watching the hoffman series on it (like everyone else ITT) and am sure he would like the Bialetti Express 6-cup Moka Pot, which will run you $40-50. If you're want to spend a little more consider (in order of how useful they'll be to making moka pot coffee):
- the Bialetti stainless steel heat diffuser ($20)
- a pack of aeropress paper filters ($10 for a bunch, iirc)
- a set of Bialetti replacement gaskets for the 6-cup moka (also around $10)

I only watched the video from the side, but doesn't he recommend going for a stainless pot now? The one he has in the video seems to be a Bialetti Venus, which I would own if it hadn't been sold out everywhere the last time I was shopping for pots.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

It looks like it is trying to market turkish coffee to white people.
Just let the grounds sink to the bottom and start drinking, you pussy.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The thing about eyeballing it on a manual machine is that you need experience to actually make good coffee that way.
While weighing allows you to just follow the instructions exactly.
To make a comparable coffee by eyeballing means that you have pulled enough Coffee on that machine to kill John Hoffman.

Also, afaik home espresso machines (as opposed to mokka pots) are a post war thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I feel like Hoffman's main audience are the people who mix their own olive oil coffee at home right now in response to the video. And not the people who are considering going to a Starbucks for those drinks.