Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I keep hearing about putting coconut oil in coffee - does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just tried the coconut oil in coffee. I didn't really find it that interesting - it had no flavour at all and just kinda floated on top of my mug. It wasn't bad or anything, but I'm not sure how anyone would try it and even remember it enough to want to do it again.

Though I've read some of those articles about bulletproof/buttered coffee, and they frame it as a kind of breakfast, which is reasonably appealing to me as a way to get some morning calories in.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

electricmonk500 posted:

It's not really a flavor thing. Also, you are not supposed to just dump the oil on the coffee, you emulsify it by stirring vigorously, using a whisk, or throwing it in a blender for a few seconds. When the fat is emulsified it gives a lot of body to the coffee and some flavor

Going to try it in the morning and report back.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I keep a blender next to my espresso machine. I'll pour the shot on top of the oil, dump it into the blender, and give it a zap.

Now that I type it out, I wonder if it'd be worth trying a mocha protein shake with coconut oil..... I'll report on that too when I get around to it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Reporting back on the coconut oil.

I added about a teaspoon of it to a 4-5 oz cup of coffee. It's ok. I like how my coffee was a bit of a foam. I don't like how much it cooled off in the 8 seconds in the blender (though that was something I expected). Certainly goes down faster. I think this would be more of something that I'd be willing to order from a coffee shop (possibly one set up to make sure my coffee is still hot after emulsification) than to make at home.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

electricmonk500 posted:

Yep, that's what I use, works fine.

I am going to buy one of those immediately to give this poo poo another try, with the hopes that it doesn't cool my coffee off as much as the blender did.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dik-dik posted:

...why not just continue to drink your coffee black?

Curiosity and boredom, mostly. The frother at the place I checked after work was $18, so I am yet without a frother.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheJeffers posted:

The originator of the "bulletproof coffee"/buttered coffee meme is a scam artist who also wants you to buy his "upgraded, low-mycotoxin beans" for dubious health reasons that appeal mostly to paleo diet cultists. (By the way, if you're not using grass-fed butter as your added fat, you're doing it wrong!) Someone at Stack Exchange posted a reasonable analysis of why this is BS.

If you enjoy this stuff in your coffee, more power to you, but I don't think the benefits are any greater than simply eating whatever amount of fatty substance you're putting into the coffee.

Oh yes I was fully aware of that. If nothing else the grass-fed butter part should set off a million alarm bells. Adding fat to my coffee just sounded interesting enough to try, and I had enough other things that I figure I could use coconut oil in (popcorn!) to give it a shot.

I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow, but after my first try I think it's probably more of something to use in smoothies or iced coffee than something I'll have every morning (partly because :effort:)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BearJazz posted:

There's no wrong way to enjoy coffee, friend. If you like the coffee you drink, then there is little in life that is more wonderful.

I wholeheartedly agree and wholeheartedly disagree. One of the best cups of coffee I've ever had was maxwell instant enjoyed one perfect morning on a backwoods camping trip. Whether they make a serviceable cup of coffee, though, the pod machines are a bit of a ripoff and produce quite a bit of needless waste.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DoBoMi posted:

I know this is awful, but anyone knows a good & cheap coffeemaker?
Because when my family visits me it really is a pain in the *** to make coffee for them all with the CCD.

I picked up an old corelware stovetop percolator for exactly this reason - I can make (actually pretty good) coffee for four and it takes up very little space (especially compared to a drip machine) with no cables and no need for filters or anthing else.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DoBoMi posted:

Thank you for your answers!
But to be honest, I don't want anything fancy like the chemex or the vacuum pot.
Both look awesome and interesting, but I don't want to have to explain something to my family and friends.

It seems like many coffeemakers produce bitter coffee, so I looked around what I could get for a bit more money..

Anyone ever heard something of the Moccamaster? It looks pretty awesome to me, even though it is a bit more expensive than the other solutions.

Usually if the coffee is turning out bitter it means that you overheated it a bit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My apologies if I missed it somewhere earlier in the thread, but the anecdote about the Greek espresso shot has me wanting to ask the experts on this.

Can anyone explain the appeal of diner/truckstop coffee? I know that objectively speaking it's stale, mass-produced crap, but I (and others) have found that there's a particular appeal to it. I actually know one guy who maintains that he likes it better that coffee from anywhere else, even having been to a number of places that roast/grind their own. I'm pretty confident that you've heard this kind statement uttered before. Note I'm not trying to claim that defenders of lovely coffee are correct and that we should throw out our espresso machines in some kind of anti-elitist iconoclasm, so please don't :getout: at me, but now and again I too find myself craving this certain coffee flavour.

Now obviously a big part of this familiarity: it's a type of brew to which people are accustomed, and that it tends to be pretty consistent from one place to another. But there has to be something else going on there, and I don't know enough about the chemistry of brew processes to explain it. Anyone?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What's the advantage of the gooseneck?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Geburan posted:

In my youth I had a fairly steady MtDew habit. Over time I managed to get on a normal sleeping schedule and wean myself off caffeine. Then a baby happened. One year in I'm drinking a (small) can of MtDew a day just to get by. I'm a grown adult with a big boy job (thought it is in IT). I would like to transition to something that will kill me less quickly.

I've never really enjoyed coffee and I'm hoping you folks have some suggestions about how to change that. There are a couple issues I have. One, I don't react well to hot drinks. Hot chocolate gets a pass, but even most soups I struggle with. Tea can get the hell out. Two, I find coffee extremely bitter. I do have hope, because I really enjoy Thai Iced Coffee. I've never been able to recreate it at home though. I would also like to avoid buying a bunch of stuff if I can. Any suggestions? Cold brew seems like a reasonable path to pursue due to the heat issue. Am I way off?

Thanks!

If you don't like bitter you probably don't like coffee. I'd really suggest that you try something like coke zero, because the amount of sugar you'd need to dump into coffee to make it palatable to you will likely just make it into Mt.Dew.

NOW, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Thai iced coffee is like Vietnamese iced coffee. That's simple: a very dark roast, ice, and sweetened condensed milk. It has been my experience that it gets served in a pour over in restaurants. You could also try exploring the cold brew coffee methods that get discussed every second page in this thread.

What do you dislike about tea? Have you tried many kinds? I agree that some kinds of tea can gently caress right off, but it could be that you just tried poo poo tea. You could check out the tea thread, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

anyone have a good playlist of v60 pourover recipes? I have a particular recipe I've been using for a while that my local shop uses, but then someone gave me a chemex over the holidays and I went and watched a few chemex recipes and then went and tried out 4 or 5 more recipes since then.

The thing is... I've not found anyone who does one like my local guy's. I asked him about it, but his English is almost nonexistent, and all I know is that it's basically his original recipe based on stuff he learned in Shanghai. His thing is that he loves fine grind and fast extraction and the flavours from the early part of the extraction, so he'll do two bloom pours at 15 seconds each then pour to 75%, then very cautiously pour the last 25% in the middle once some of the water has filtered through, with minimal agitation. An ideal pour for him is a perfectly conical coffee bed up the sides of the filter rather than the flat bed that Hoffman seems to prize. The theory, from what I've gotten out of him, is he does that to reduce the proportion of bitter late extraction flavours as the water level drops below parts of the coffee bed. He also kills the pour at 2:00 exactly, discarding the rest. A typical proportion for him is 15g/325g, but discarding 50-75g at the end, leaving him much closer to the 15g/250ml that most other recipes call for.

It makes a good cup, but nothing I've found so far works with any similar assumptions. Has anyone seen a v60 recipe that resembles this?

(if you want to try it, when I make it at home, I grind about 20% finer than I would for a typical v60 - 15g coffee: pour at 0 bloom pour to 30g, at 15 bloom pour to 60g, at 30 pour and agitate to 275, at 60 pour gently in the centre to 325, pull it off at 120, and usually top off with a splash of water from the kettle.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gunder posted:

I've posted this recipe a few times in the thread, but it's easily the best tasting recipe I've ever used. The video uses a Kalita Wave, but it works just as well with a V60.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsGf3R9mc0

Pay particular attention to the section on pour height. That makes a huge difference in adequately churning the coffee bed.

This is a good, straightforward method. It's basically the same broader approach as Hoffman's updated "small pour" v60 method, but with two pours instead of four, and pretty similar to what I've been doing lately since I started researching different approaches.

Could be in the OP.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you really want to go nuts with pour over filter experimentation, if you folda basket filter into quarters and open it like a chemex filter it fits nicely into a v60

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not going to read the paper or watch the video but even the basic idea of seasoning a grinding burr is laughable, because as noted you need heat do do that properly, and the basic seasoning method used for steel and cast iron pans actually goes above metallurgic temperatures that will change the characteristics of steel (tempering), so either it does nothing, or it ruins the burr's steel by softening it.

The exception is polymerizing oils such as get used in woodworking, and those will harden without heat if left for a long time, but they don't get hard enough to make a difference in this context (more like a wax): if you put a softer coating on top of a harder coating for a tool piece that functions via its hardness, that softer coating just flakes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I impulse purchased some green coffee beans from an Ethiopian grocery a couple days ago.

I ran out of coffee today so I just toss-roasted some of the green beans over the stove and did a horrible job of it (I've since looked up some tips and I'll try again with better technique).

I brewed them up and it was drinkable but whatever. And then the last few sips in the cup had the most remarkable toffee flavour I've ever had from a cup of coffee.

Is this how addictions start?