Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

min
May 12, 2001

Astronaut Jones posted:

Counter Culture Coffee

Pretty much. Counter Culture offers great coffee at very reasonable prices. Klatch is another one of my favorites. Intelligentsia has good coffee but their prices are totally ridiculous, almost all their coffee is over $20 a lb, not including shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

min
May 12, 2001

I'm trying to put together a decent espresso setup. I'm looking to spend about $1500 but there's definitely a little wiggle room. Does anyone have personal experience with the OE Pharos? I don't mind hand grinding at all, I already own an OE Lido for pourover/press and am very happy with it. Being able to save a few hundred dollars on the grinder would be nice.

As for a machine, I would mostly be pulling shots for myself. I'm not too concerned with milk drinks, they would only be made occasionally for friends/family. I was looking at the Quick Mill Alexia with a PID installed. Does this seem like a good/reasonable setup for my price range? I'm open to suggestions, as I'm really quite clueless when it comes to espresso gear.

min
May 12, 2001

Irony.or.Death posted:

I went to a tiny little informal thing sort of along the same lines today; there's a guy at the campus food co-op who's been working with my favorite local roaster a lot lately, so he had a couple people stop by for a taste test experiment - the only thing he varied between the three cups he gave us was the water he used. One with a purified bottled water, one with tap water, and one with tap water filtered through something he got from Culligan. I have understood in an abstract sense that water is important but it was cool to have such a stark demonstration; the table was almost unanimous that the bottled water made the worst coffee and the Culligan filter the best.

And here I thought I was going to be done buying coffee equipment for a few months.

Do you have any information on the "something" from Culligan? I've been thinking about getting a better water filter.

min
May 12, 2001

Armed Neutrality posted:

Also, back to the Geisha discussion, my friends company apparently buys Panama Geisha from origin for about 5-6000 bucks a ton, and passes it on to companies like Intelligentsia for a modest 10% mark up. It makes for some interesting math when you break it down to a 12 buck cup!

$2.5 - $3 a lb for Geisha? That sounds highly unlikely: http://auction.stoneworks.com/ES2012/final_results.html. The cheapest lot there went for $29.00 a lb.

min
May 12, 2001

Armed Neutrality posted:

They buy direct from the farms and only
sell by the container load (18 tons I think?) so I think they might be a step or two higher on the sourcing ladder than that auction site. I'll ask him at the next opportunity.

That auction IS directly from the farm as far as I know. Geisha is that expensive. The price you are quoting is closer to the price for "typical" specialty coffee. For example, in Counter Culture's 2011 direct trade transparency report the vast majority of their coffees were purchased for over $2.00 a lb, most closer to $3.00-$4.00. The point I'm trying to make is $12 for a cup of Geisha isn't out of line when you take into account how much the coffee itself costs. If I had a local roaster that served Geisha I would certainly buy a cup, because I hate dropping between $40-80 for a half lb bag. I still usually do it once a year or so for a treat, it is truly great coffee and I believe every coffee nerd should try it at least once.

min
May 12, 2001

a handful of dust posted:

What's the best way to clean a glass-lined coffee pot?

I picked up a Bonavita drip machine with the thermal carafe, and it's oily as hell inside after a couple weeks of use. The instructions say to use vinegar or lemon juice, and never scrub it or use a bottle brush, but the vinegar isn't doing poo poo.

I use Joe Glo to clean all my coffee equipment. I honestly have no clue what is actually in it but a little goes a long way and it seems to work great for me. I'm still using the container of it I bought over 2 years ago.

min
May 12, 2001

I can confirm that the George Howell flow restrictors do not properly fit in the electric Bonavita kettles. However, I was able to shove it in there after trimming the tip a bit and it works just fine. I'm very happy with how it pours.

edit: Any opinions on Bow Truss? I want to try a new roaster and they have a natural processed Mexican coffee that sounds interesting.

min fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 18, 2014

min
May 12, 2001

becoming posted:

This is true now, even before the flow is restricted. What I have taken to doing is using a cheap kettle to boil water, then I pour it into my pouring kettles. I use a thermometer to confirm temperature. Usually it's a little cooler than I want it, so I put the pouring kettle onto the (now turned off but still hot) burner and let it warm up a bit. Then I make my coffee. Significant downside: that's another kettle to take up space on your counter or stove.

Thanks. Presumably you mean making the tip narrower, not shorter? With how inexpensive they are, I am not sweating giving it a shot, though it occurs to me now that with the Kalita and Takahiro kettles, there may be no real point in doing so. Do you find you are still able to pour quickly - filling up a press pot, for example - or is it pretty much "now this is really slow"?

Yes, narrower, not shorter. The pour is quite slow with the restrictor, which is not a problem for me since >90% of my brewing is some form of pourover. I would agree that you probably don't even need one with how great the pour control on the Takahiro kettle is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

min
May 12, 2001

I thought Tonx was above average coffee. I would put them on the same level as most other high end "3rd wave" roasters I've tried. I was a subscriber for about a year, the biggest thing I liked about it was the random factor of it. I liked getting a new coffee every other week and got to try some coffees I never would have chosen for myself that I actually ended up enjoying. I cancelled to home roast a little more and to be able to try more roasters without wasting coffee. I will probably end up subscribing again on the half sack plan because I really loved the variety of coffee they would send out. It was never boring, even if some were not 100% to my liking.