Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

traveling midget posted:

Looking for a good drip coffee maker, but can't drop $300 on a Technivorm?

Check out the $80 Zojirushi Fresh Brew.

• Stylish automatic coffee brewer with 1.5-liter thermal carafe
  • Stainless-steel carafe keeps coffee hot for hours
  • 1025 watts; electronic clock/timer with preset function; auto shut-off for safety
  • Clever brew-and-serve lid design; easy-to-read water gauge
  • Measures 15 by 12 by 9 inches; 1-year warranty

Seems to perform better with chilled, not cold, water. Fits the normal gold cone filter if you should want that. Enjoy!

This is a great drip coffee maker. It brews at the correct temperature if you use room temperature / tap temperature water. I fill the carafe with filtered tap water, and away we go.

There are, however, quality control issues with this model. The first one I had leaked water straight into the electronics, and onto the countertop on the first fill. The second one has a non-functioning spot on the LCD (the upper half of the first 1), straight from the factory. I'm not returning this one, because it does its job perfectly, which is to brew a great cup of coffee. I don't use the clock or the timer or any of that horse poo poo, but it irks me that it's broken right out of the box.

I picked up one of these for my wife's birthday:

Compak K6. 64mm flat burrs, 320W 1300RPM motor, 3.75lb bean hopper, an extremely accurate doser, a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. Right now, it's full of my favorite espresso blend, The Roasterie's Super Tuscan. After moving 1000 miles away from them, it was a blessing to find out they ship free!

Also, we just received our first 8lb sampler from Sweet Maria's. I love me some dry process Ethiopian beans, and the Gr. 3 Dry Process Yirga Cheffe did not disappoint at a city roast.

I'm almost afraid to post in here... This thread isn't going to get closed / get GrAviTy84 probated, is it? I don't even know this place anymore. :(

PainBreak fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

origami posted:

Do any of you brew and then make your own iced coffee? Any tips aside from 'just add water and chill'?

You're best off using a toddy maker, and cold brewing. I use this one, which is essentially a giant french press:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-French-Press-Coffeemaker-51-Ounce/dp/B003NG922U

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Mmm... Roasted up a batch of Ethiopia Sidamo Special Prep to a City+ last night. Start to finish was ~14 minutes, which was absolutely perfect. The fruits of my labor were fruity indeed. Heavy notes of sweet blueberry, but with plenty of acidity to balance it out.

This is my favorite coffee. This one.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Doh004 posted:

I've been reading up on the Sweet Maria's website about roasting my own beans. Before I invest in an expensive electric roaster, I wanted to try to stove-top methods in one of those popcorn poppers.

I currently live in a small studio apartment in New York City, so I don't really have access to the outdoors. Would it be dangerous to do so in my situation?

Do you not have a deck / patio thing at all? With a Whirley Pop, a heavy gauge extension cord, and a $10 hot plate from Walgreens, you're set to roast outside.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Now that I have 10lbs of it in my hands (well, it's a Christmas present to my wife), I wanted to mention that Sweet Maria's got in a Dry Process Ethiopia Sidama Aleta Wondo. It cupped at a 90.6 at City+, and I'm pretty excited to give it a whirl. A few years back, I tried a very similar coffee (Ethiopia Sidamo Aleta Wondo Special Prep) and it was one of the best coffees I've ever tasted. It was like drinking a cup of blueberries.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

dema posted:

Guy at the coffee shop down the street conviced me to get a pound of this stuff:

Ethiopia Worka

Good Lord. I'm totally getting strawberry in the aftertaste. Fantastic stuff.

Dry process Ethiopia beans (particularly from the Sidama (formerly Sidamo) region) are my absolute favorite. At a medium roast, the acidity is perfect, and the roast doesn't overpower / cook off the cherry's flavor. I roast about 1.5lbs of beans per week, which keeps my wife and I in awesome coffee heaven. In fact, I just had some this morning. :)

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Anderron Shi posted:

Got a pound of Ethiopian Sidamo tonight, just roasted yesterday! No more Starbucks for me.

Did you order it online, or can you find it locally? Was it dry process, or wet process? To what stage did you roast it?

Ethiopia Sidama Aleta Wondo Special Prep is far and away my favorite single origin. Sweet Maria's is out of it now, so I'm drat glad I ordered a bunch. Taken to just barely the end of first crack, it's heavenly combination of chocolate and blueberries. Being excited about how awesome the coffee is, and how consistently I can achieve this roast makes it easier to get up in the morning than the caffeine content itself... But, since I didn't roast the piss out of it, the caffeine content is higher, as well! :science:

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

etcetera08 posted:

I read this thread over the last few days (while making coffee) and..

No, I don't think that's true at all. The vast majority of comments regarding any expensive espresso equipment in this thread were in response to people asking about machines after they were already in a top tier of prices or people describing their own setups. Both of which are perfectly valid, neither of which are elitist.

Every time a completely new person has wandered into the thread they've either gotten good advice about making good coffee cheaply or gotten advice about where to go to try good coffee. The accusations of elitism here are ridiculous.

For content, I am a relatively poor student so I drink french press every morning. I've been trying a bunch of Kaldi beans (St Louis roaster), but I may order some Klatch, Verve, or Counter Culture next time I need some beans. I need to buy a burr grinder but I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

Kaldi's has pretty decent beans. LatteLand in KC uses their beans, and I quite liked the espresso. If you're using their offerings, you're doing well on the bean front.

As for Alleric's post... It's already been covered, but you have no idea what you're talking about, and I wish you wouldn't spread misinformation. You aren't making espresso with that rig. The comparison isn't a BMW M5 vs a Kia. It's a Kia vs a Cessna, when you can only reach your destination through the air.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

What's better about it?

It's better, because it has a co2 canister that pressurizes it, and also creates fake crema. You can use nitrous cartridges, but amazingly enough, it creates less crema that way. Gee, I wonder why.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
In case anyone's curious about roasting with an air popper, Sweet Marias is doing a live broadcast right now (2PM Central) to demonstrate.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sweet-marias

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

cyberia posted:

A quick google search pointed me to a place called Mead's Corner. They advertise 'fair trade' coffee meaning they probably have a better class of bean than Starbucks and their barista may have some knowledge / passion for coffee. I'm not local though so I have no idea how true this is.

In terms of not liking the bitterness of coffee, almost all the third-wave coffee shops in my town use very light 'fruity' blends that have absolutely no bitterness to them. I get my beans from here to give you an idea of what regions / names you should try. So find somewhere that has a few different blends and try them all until you find one that you like.

Also, I don't know how much of a faux pas it is in this thread but I have one tsp of sugar in my coffee because I think it tastes better so if you enjoy coffee with a bit of milk / cream / sugar it's ok to drink it that way (in my opinion).

Also try different types of coffee like cappucino, caffe latte, flat white, etc to find out what you like best.

edit - a more comprehensive google search reveals that the Fresh Roast Coffee Company may be a good place to try some coffee. There's also a list of the best coffee shops in your area and a shop that sells beans for you to take home and try making coffee yourself.

I am a terrible coffee snob, and I take my coffee with both cream (full fat, no bullshit) and sucralose, unless I am cupping. Sugar / sweetener brings out flavors, much the way salt does. I don't find it a sin at all to utilize an ingredient that boosts flavor. I also loving love msg. Mmm.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Those look pretty good for a whirley pop. keep it up! You might be better off tapering off the heat at the beginning of the roast. That is to say, preheat the roaster, add the beans and spin quickly to prevent charring, then turn down the heat after a few seconds (to about a medium) and ease up on the spinning a little and let it coast up to first crack. Remember that the gearing of the whirley makes it so that the stirrers stir something like 3 times per crank, so 2-4 rps is quite vigorous spinning. Then kick the spurs to it in the middle of first crack and crank the heat and spin 2-3 rps to just the start of second crack.

You can try vice versa, too, race to first crack then ease up and coast to second. Welcome to roast profiling. All of this will affect the flavor profile of your coffee and some roasting methods will work better with some coffees and work terribly with others. One thing I've noticed is that dry process coffees with their more variable coffee bean sizes, tend to not like whirley pops in general, but in order to get them decently right you gotta take it pretty low on the heat side and crank it like mad. Peaberry coffees, because of their shape, take very well to the whirley.

I roast dry process (Ethiopian) almost exclusively, and I prefer not to heat up the Whirley Pop beforehand. I put the beans in cold, and stir consistently at medium heat. I turn the heat off about 3/4 the way through first crack, stir for two more minutes, and it comes out very evenly, and with the fruity profile I feel it should have, while not being overtly acidic. In short, it's wonderful coffee, and preheating the Whirley Pop is nonsense.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Ok I will try that with dry process next time. Thanks.

I've taken to the hot air popper lately because it doesn't require me to crank.

Amen to that... There are days that I absolutely love roasting coffee, and days that I think, "gently caress... do I really have to crank this thing for 15 minutes?" Between my wife and I, though, we go through a little over 1lb/week.

I've also found that roasting about 3/4lb at a time gives me the most even roasts. Less, and I feel like there's not enough mass churning around to evenly dissipate the heat. More, and the poor little whirley arms just don't have the rear end behind them to create that sweet, sweet tumbling action.

Edit: drat you, Maria! When will you get in some new DP Ethiopian? I just had to order 10lbs from the Coffee Bean Corral, lovingly known in our household as HORSE BEANS!

PainBreak fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 28, 2012

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I'm kind-of disappointed with Coffee Bean Corral. I placed an order for 10lbs of Ethiopian Sidamo Special Prep (DP), and when it arrived it was 3lbs of the Sidamo, and 7lbs of Ethiopian Niguse Lemma Natural, substituted without bothering to contact me.

Luckily, it's pretty good coffee, although not as good as the Sidamo (and it was slightly more expensive per lb), but it's pretty discourteous to substitute something and not ask the customer first.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

AriTheDog posted:

Why don't you just bitch at their customer service people? You paid for one thing and got something else.

I get the feeling it's a pretty small operation, and it's not like I won't use the beans. I guess I don't feel it's worth the hassle of shipping back $50 worth of beans, or yelling at them, or what have you. I don't think they would change their business practices if I yelled at them--I'm guessing they thought they were doing me a big favor by substituting more expensive beans, and that it would be ridiculous for a customer to be upset about that.

Instead, I will just choose to not do business with them in the future, and buy from Sweet Maria's exclusively, while telling strangers on the internet about my experience.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
So... My wife made me aware of this commercial yesterday. What in the gently caress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpC39-yITdA

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Imagine you're the CEO of Maxwell House, your company makes cheap, mass-market coffee. A renewed interest in hobbyist coffee has emerged in recent years. What else are you going to do in your commercials?

Imagine the same setting, but for LG microwaves. Now, imagine the guy throwing a fit, because his steak has grill marks on it. Why would you want that fancy poo poo? Just put it in the microwave, and in 1 minute, it's done! Just let radio waves do the work! Why am I spending so much money, in such a fancy restaurant, if you guys aren't making my steak in the microwave?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

pnumoman posted:

The thing that makes me blind with internet rage is the implication that people who actually like the taste of good coffee are richy-rich snobs that don't drink 'blue collar' coffee. gently caress that poo poo, that douche in the commercial is a suburban bitch with a drip. Everyone knows real 'blue collar' men only drink convenience store coffee that's been on the burner for at least 4 hours to properly reduce down into acrid sludge, along with a pack of reds for breakfast.

Bougie-boo motherfuckers with their pricey Maxwell poo poo. :rolleyes:

At least at the end of the commercial, they play the sound of a toilet flushing. Oh, that's a coffee pot? Who would know?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I just realized, the guy isn't eating there. Watch it again. The looks on their faces say it all. The waiter is just loving done with it, and the customers are terrified.

It's obvious, the waiter knows who it is instantly. It's Rick, or "Rick the Dick" as they all call him. Fired from Starbucks after plunging his member in the White Chocolate Sauce and offering it up to his manager (a 17 year old named Stephen who never left home without his trilby hat), he is now homeless, and a registered sex offender.

When he's not standing atop a pair of upside-down Folgers cans on the corner of 53rd and Madeline, screaming to everyone that stale coffee is a lie, he's wandering into the bistros along Weber Street, a discarded Mr. Coffee tucked under his arm and a Maxwell House mug in his hand.

PainBreak fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 11, 2012

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

dema posted:

There is debate that it grinds better with the weight of the other beans on it. Might be best to compromise and keep it half full.

You have a relatively small hopper, so I wouldn't worry about it. Mine holds 5lbs, which is pretty excessive for home use, so I will never have a pretty, full hopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I got my wife a sub to Craft Coffee, which is pretty much the same price as Tonx, but you get 3 4oz curated samples each month from different (well known) roasters.

Their customer service is top notch, as well.