Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've been using a Keurig for the last 2 years. It was a gift that my wife and I wanted, so we bought it, and it finally began to dawn on me that we were paying $50-60 a month on K cups that produce average coffee. My wife loves the convenience of the K cup and likes the flavored coffees, I don't mind putting a bit of work into my coffee and I like Kona blend.

Anyways, we recently compromised and we bought an ekobrew K-cup (It's basically a reusable K cup). For the wife, I bought some ground cinnamon flavored coffee because she was set on that, Gevalia brand. She's happy with it and probably doesn't want anything more. I bought some Kona blend beans by Magnum for 10 bucks for a pound. I have a cuisinart burr grinder that I bought for around 50-60 bucks two years ago that still works.

Anyways, coffee is a million times better, but I know it can get even better than this.

Eventually I want to move to an aeropress, but I'm pretty sure my wife is going to want to stay with the reusable K cup. Also, she probably wouldn't grind just enough beans for one cup at a time...she would more than likely grind enough for the week and then go through that. Onto the questions:

1) I'm using whole roasted beans. Right now I have 3/4 of the bag in the hopper for the grinder. Should I put the remainder in the freezer to keep them fresh or something? I have nothing to base off of, but I'm guessing I'll go through 1 pound a month (I drink one cup a day, and sometimes 2 on the weekends).

2) For my wife's ground coffee, the coffee came in 3-8 oz bags, all vacuum packed. How should I store these opened/unopened?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I know flavored k-cups is probably to you guys like someone asking for ranch at a nice restaurant, but we're working on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

pnumoman posted:

Oh, and may I suggest a french press for the weekends? Cheapo burr grinders are fine for french press, and a french press makes such delicious coffee for so little effort and cost.

Would you guys recommend the French Press or clever coffee drip? It seems like the clever coffee drip does more for less...or is it two completely different things?

Say I were to get completely away from the Keurig? What would be easier to prepare during the week when I wake up at 5 am and want a cup of coffee at 505? I'll extend that to 510 if I need to heat the tea kettle up.

nwin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 2, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nm posted:

I much prefer the CCD. A cleaner cup. The french press will result in abit more oily coffee, which some like, but you get sludge.
However, the CCD wants a finer grind, which requires a slightly better grinder (but not much). Also, you need good filters for the CCD. The milettas (or whatever that brand is) will make your coffee taste like paper. One cup methods are more influenced by paper taste than larger brewers because the flavor gets more concentrated.

A french press will be slightly easier to get done early am as you don't have to pre-wet the filter or stir.

Oil or paper? I just want my coffee to taste like coffee...what about an aeropress? How's that for flavor?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nm posted:

A: oil is a flavor of coffee. Coffee has a lot of oil in it. The filter just takes some out.

B: get a good filter and it won't taste like paper. I use some dutch filters and it is fine. You just have to avoid the mass market brands.

They will both taste much better than whatever you are using now.

Alright my apologies. Thanks for the explanation. Got some links to any decent filters? Preferably Amazon?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ok so I want to buy the clever coffee dripper, but I'd rather pay 17 bucks for it on amazon with free shipping, then pay 15 on sweet marias + 9 dollars shipping. The only thing is finding paper filters for it. Someone here recommended filtropa filters but the aren't on amazon with free shipping. Any other filters people recommend here?

edit: I found some rockline filters...thoughts? There's also the unbleached filtropas that are 3 bucks/100 plus 3 dollars shipping on amazon, so that might be another route.

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 15, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Keyser S0ze posted:

I buy a shitload of stuff from Amazon prime but try to at least throw a bone to good people like Sweet Maria's occasionally for items. It's worth it IMO and really not that much more cash since you'll actually get customer support plus you could just wait until they have some roasted beans and toss them in or buy some other filters or something from them.

nm posted:

Sweet Marias has the best filters in my opinion, the white filteropias 9or however you spell it).
By the CCD and like 4 packs of filters (a year+ worth). Sweet Marias is basically the only place with those filters domestically online in-stock, so you might as well bite the bullet.

Alright, you guys convinced me. Order placed.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat...I received my clever coffee dripper and filter on Thursday, but I've been stuck at home with bronchitis and haven't even wanted coffee yet.

This sucks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Finally had my first cup of coffee through my clever coffee dripper.

So this is what coffee is supposed to taste like? Holy gently caress what have I been missing thinking that Dunkin Donuts and K-cups were what coffee tastes like.

This is a completely different experience, and mind you, this was done with two gently caress ups:

1) When doing the first stir, I jammed my stir stick a bit too far down and tore the paper filter apparently, as I realized that during the pour.

2) I'm using the lovely Cuisinart burr grinder mentioned earlier.

Quick question...it says if the water doesn't drain, then use a coarser grind. I guess you would just notice that as you start pouring the water? Because the water was way higer than the amount of coffee was in there after I was done, and it seemed like it drained all the way through...I guess one more thing to look for tomorrow. My grinder has a whole bunch of settings, but I have it about 3-4 clicks away from it's finest setting right now. I would say it's a bit finer than pre-ground stuff looks out of a bag. I'm really not sure why I would ever use anything coarser.

Once again, loving amazing coffee. Can't wait until it gets even better tomorrow. I added a packet of Truvia as I'm so used to doing that with other coffee, and I didn't have any milk to throw in there like I normally do, but I could easily see drinking this stuff black, which I never usually do.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Finally had my first cup of coffee through my clever coffee dripper.

So this is what coffee is supposed to taste like? Holy gently caress what have I been missing thinking that Dunkin Donuts and K-cups were what coffee tastes like.

This is a completely different experience, and mind you, this was done with two gently caress ups:

1) When doing the first stir, I jammed my stir stick a bit too far down and tore the paper filter apparently, as I realized that during the pour.

2) I'm using the lovely Cuisinart burr grinder mentioned earlier.

Quick question...it says if the water doesn't drain, then use a coarser grind. I guess you would just notice that as you start pouring the water? Because the water was way higer than the amount of coffee was in there after I was done, and it seemed like it drained all the way through...I guess one more thing to look for tomorrow. My grinder has a whole bunch of settings, but I have it about 3-4 clicks away from it's finest setting right now. I would say it's a bit finer than pre-ground stuff looks out of a bag. I'm really not sure why I would ever use anything coarser.

Once again, loving amazing coffee. Can't wait until it gets even better tomorrow. I added a packet of Truvia as I'm so used to doing that with other coffee, and I didn't have any milk to throw in there like I normally do, but I could easily see drinking this stuff black, which I never usually do.
Ok, so I've found the settings that work best for the coffee dripper and I've been enjoying the coffee a bit.

However! Maybe it was because it was just a new experience or something, but NOTHING has matched how the coffee tasted that first day, when I accidentally ripped the paper filter. My coffee mug had the majority of the grounds in it at the bottom, as I realized when I got towards the bottom of the mug and ended up with grounds in my teeth...

However, the taste before the was great- it was so full and creamy...and it just doesn't taste the same through the coffee dripper. Now I've never tasted French press coffee before, but does the above describe how it tastes, since there's no real filter media? How can I emulate that taste? Am I just a complete loving weirdo?

I picked up some beans today from the local roaster and he had some of those bodum plastic carafe French presses for 20-30 depending on size, and I thought about picking one up, but figured I'd ask first to see some responses.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Does a French press use more or less coffee than the clever coffee dripper? I'm using 22g of coffee and use 360g water, per sweet marias recommendation. I don't really have anything to compare it to but that seems like a lot of coffee for what it produces.

I'm curious what French press tastes like but I'm hesitant to spend 20-30 on something if it's going to use the same amount of coffee.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

rockcity posted:

Should be roughly the same. The reason you buy a french press isn't to use less coffee, it's because it's a different style of coffee and has a different taste and mouthfeel.

Right, I'm well aware of why I would buy different brewing systems. I was curious if it used less coffee or not.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I'm genuinely curious about upgrading my grinder...I have a cuisinart burr grinder that I bought a few years back for around 40 bucks. It seems to do a decent job for my French press and my CCD.

I've heard great things about the baratza encore refurb that I can get for 80 or 100 bucks (cant remember which). Am I going to notice any difference by upgrading? And if so, what kind of differences?

I'm just trying to see if its justifiable or not to spend the cash on it. I went ahead and bought some expensive filters based on the recommendations on this thread because one guy was saying anything else would taste like paper, and I noticed Zero difference in the taste between those and the store bought filters, so I'm a bit hesitant to spend the cash unless its justifiable.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

So I'm genuinely curious about upgrading my grinder...I have a cuisinart burr grinder that I bought a few years back for around 40 bucks. It seems to do a decent job for my French press and my CCD.

I've heard great things about the baratza encore refurb that I can get for 80 or 100 bucks (cant remember which). Am I going to notice any difference by upgrading? And if so, what kind of differences?

I'm just trying to see if its justifiable or not to spend the cash on it. I went ahead and bought some expensive filters based on the recommendations on this thread because one guy was saying anything else would taste like paper, and I noticed Zero difference in the taste between those and the store bought filters, so I'm a bit hesitant to spend the cash unless its justifiable.

Pretty sure my question got lost in the midst of butter coffee :wtc:

Cleaned my grinder out today and noticed something that is pushing me in the direction of getting a new grinder. When I brew a new cup, it seems there is a lot of dust left in the storage container (not the hopper the beans go into, but where they go after they've been ground). The grind *seems* somewhat consistent (I have it on nearly the coarsest setting), but it seems like lots of static electricity builds up and tons of powder is accumulated.

Does an Encore still produce powder at all, or is everything consistent? I have no desire to make espresso. The only things I would use it for is the CCD or a french press. I've read that static electricity build up is probably going to be a problem on any grinder within my price range (under $120...currently looking at nabbing a refurb encore the next Thursday they are available).

On another note, is there any level of quality difference in french presses? I bought a Bodum Brazil a few months back and it seems to be working great. The only difference I really see is aesthetic or a nylon vs. metal filter (not sure which is better). Finally, what's the best way to clean the metal filters? I've been just rinsing it out with hot water after each use and then once a week I throw it in the dishwasher, but not sure if I should even be doing that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Question on grinders...the maestro plus vs the encore.

I know the encore replaced the maestro plus, but according to this review the Plus allowed the user to dial in their settings better than the Encore does. Also, the encore seems more geared towards being everything the Plus does, while also allowing users to enter the world of espresso.

I have no interest in getting completely geared out and getting an espresso rig. I like french press and CCD. On the Baratza refurb site, do they ever offer the maestro plus anymore? If not, this is a moot point. However, if they do, would I be better off going with the Plus or the Encore, and why?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

King of Solomon posted:

The Baratza Maestro got discontinued at some point. I don't know how similar it is, but the Baratza Encore seems to be its successor.

Yeah, from what I've seen. Originally the Maestro came out. Then the Maestro plus came out. Then in 2012, the Encore came out, replacing the old Maestros.

The main thing I'm trying to find out is it seems that some reviews said the Maestro Plus was great because it really allowed the user to fine-tune the grind settings for things like french press (40 settings total). When the Encore came out, it was touted as having everything the PLUS did, but also with the ability to grind espresso quality coffee, so it increased the range of settings while maintaining the same number (40 presets). So basically you can't fine tune the Encore as much as the Plus, but the Plus lets you go finer and coarser I think.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you. I have no desire to deal with espresso...I just a french press and a CCD, so I wonder if it would be better for me to get a Plus refurb if they're still available or go for the Encore. In truth, I don't have any idea if they even sell refurbs of the Plus anymore...I guess I'll find out when I check their website in the morning.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So which one is better, capresso infinity or baratza encore?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dammit, it looked like I had an Encore refurb in my cart and then my lovely web browser at work crashed...now it says it's no longer available.

Oh well, gives me some more time to research. After shipping, it looks like I can get the Encore for $100, or I can get the Capresso 560.01 off Amazon for about $88.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I got my capresso yesterday and tried a cup of French press today. I definitely noticed a difference between this and the old cuisinart. There wasn't nearly as much sludge in the cup and it tasted better-not perfect though, still just a tad bitter, so I'm wondering if I can get some recommendations:

20g of coffee
12 oz water about 30 seconds after the kettle started whistling. (When it's whistling is that boiling?)
1 minute steep time, then take off the lid and stir, followed by replacing the lid and steeping for 3 more minutes.

Grind was at the finest coarse setting (one more step and it would have been on the coarsest medium setting if that makes sense...)

Any recommendations? Looking around that might be too much coffee perhaps? I've seen between 4-9g per 4oz of coffee.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

rockcity posted:

Sounds like you actually may have not enough coffee. I use about an 8g per 4oz ratio for nearly every method of brewing that I use, which would be 24g for your 12oz of water. Bitterness typically means over extraction which could be caused by not enough coffee. Try it again at the same grind with 24g of coffee.

Tried 28g to 14oz today and it came out great! I also let the water get a bit hotter. Instead of the second it started steaming out of the kettle, I waited until it was whistling a good bit...I'm guessing that was closer to 200-205 degrees. I'm not entirely sure. I have a handheld laser temperature reader, but I don't think pointing it at the metal kettle gives an entirely accurate reading.

Now for beans...

I've been going to a local roaster and it seems alright, but I only can base it off of things I've had in the past, like dunkin donuts and keurig pods...(yeah I know...I'm working on it). The place has been in business for over 20 years and the owner seems nice and explains some stuff, but it seems like they are TOO big.

https://www.javacoffee.com/

If you look at their website, they have a TON of beans available. He told me that his guy comes in and roasts twice a week, but I'm not sure what he's roasting exactly. When I go to buy, he pulls the coffee beans out of these huge 5 gallon tubs, so I'm just not sure how fresh they really are. Most of the stuff he sells there has flavors added to it like pumpkin and cinnamon, which I'm not into, so I figured I'd try going the online route.

I'm looking at two places so far.

Dodd Coffee, which is local to Houston, but only sells online.

Redbirdcoffee, which was recommended to me on the coffee geek forums.

Any other suggestions? I want to keep it under $14/pound right now, plus shipping. I don't like bitter coffees. I have liked Kona in the past, as well as La Minita Tarrazu, which is something I'm getting from Java Coffee right now. Again, I'll be using mostly a French press, and sometimes a CCD.

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 16, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Uhh...for people that don't want to spend the $200 on a keurig or whatever but don't want to deal with those messy grounds and measuring it out?

I'm really confused why this exists. I'm not gonna go buy k cups without a keurig...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

hotsauce posted:

I guess I was referring to the quality of coffee this thing will produce. But I see your point.

Oh, I was agreeing with you! I was just imagining why people would want it, that's all. My wife and I used to be on the Keurig train...then I realized that all coffee should not taste like that-that's when I came here and bought a CCD and started my downward spiral into coffee addiction. My wife still insists on using the Keurig though. She likes flavored coffees and just pours a million ounces of creamer in it anyways, so it never tastes like actual coffee. I got sick of having all that plastic waste though and spending all that cash on those K cups, so I bought some of those reusable K cups and it works well enough for her. I'd go back to a normal drip, but she only has one cup a day and it's easy enough this way.

As for me, I'm getting an Aeropress for my birthday so I'm pretty happy about that. Now I just need a hand grinder for when I travel and I'm set!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright need some suggestions... I want to buy a popcorn air popper to roast my own coffee. Any brands/things to look for?

Also, maybe a stupid question but once you use this for coffee is that it or can you use it for popcorn? Only asking because someone asked about the whirly pop and they said it would be fine for that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anything new you could recommend? It's going to be a Christmas present from a family member and they'd probably rather just get something off amazon the hunt on eBay for the right one.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Loucks posted:

I am using a West Bend Air Crazy to roast, and so far I've been happy with it. It is actually cheaper at Target if you have one of those around. I can't attest to its longevity since I haven't been doing this for long, but so far it has held up to double batches (since you can only roast about a half cup at a time) with no cooldown like a champ.

Thanks for the response! I saw that popper being offered on sweet maria's but they give a pretty heavy handed disclaimer saying they want to like it but since the product isn't designed for coffee, they don't want to endorse it.

It seems that one you posted is 1050 watts, and reviews are all over the place. Some people say go for that, others say the Poppery or Poppery II is the best(1500 watts supposedly?), but they are older so you don't know what you're going to get off ebay.

I don't need to tell the person right this second, so it won't kill me to do research for a few days. One thing that concerned me looking at some How To videos off sweet maria's is the guy showed one of the plastic tops completely melted through and didn't seem concerned about it, just saying to expect it.

Now, on to something different...coffee advice! I'm just going to list what I've tried with links to each one...if you guys could maybe give me some advice on things I might like or give me some ideas to look out for, I would appreciate it!

I'm still looking for flavor profiles I like. I had been buying 'La Minita Tarrazu from Java Coffee in Texas, that was characterized on their website as "remarkably smooth, with all elements in balance, and bright flavors that fill the mouth."

I liked that but I couldn't get a straight answer of how often that exact coffee was roasted, so I wanted to branch out and see what else is out there. I tried Brazil Sweet Blue from redbird coffee. It was listed as"rich in chocolate and dry-cocoa flavor and aromas. Dense body, balanced acidity and sweetness, and long lingering chocolate and espresso after taste"

The redbird coffee I liked, but adding a small bit of sugar to the coffee really helped the flavor. I liked redbird because they roast on certain dates and send your coffee out, pretty much ensuring that when it's shipped to you, it has outgassed enough and is good to go.

Next I tried Java Pura, out of Houston (where I'm located). They roast on Tuesdays/Thursdays, and are only about 10 minutes from my house. I first picked up a Costa Rican coffee, named Don Teofilo, which is characterized as "an excellent balance of body and acidity, is very aromatic, with tastes of citrus and milk chocolate truffle."

I'm not a fan of this one at all. I've had two cups of it so far and apparently it's their number one seller, but I think the citrus flavor is offputting to me. Having another cup just now, and it tastes almost like a tea to me...and I loving hate tea. It's passable, and I stupidly bought a loving pound of it, so I'll continue to drink it for now. Too bad it's not hot out anymore or else I would just use it for cold brew.

The next I'm thinking of trying is another from Java Pura, It's from Panama, medium roast, called Los Cantares. "This fully washed coffee possesses a medium body, wonderful bright notes combined with hints of chocolate, and closes with a creamy finish."

Another one from red bird I'm thinking is Brazil Moka Peaberry Reserve. Almond notes, delicate sweetness, subtle body, smooth finish.

From reading on some websites, I *think* what I would like in a coffee is decent brightness, more sweetness than acidity, or at least balanced between the two, and coffee/buttery flavors. Does that sound about right based off what I've tasted and my comments or am I completely off base?

Thanks for any help you all can offer.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 13, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Managed to find a poppery II at goodwill for 8 bucks. I figure its worth a shot!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Shouting Melon posted:

Has anyone heard of the Grower's Cup brewing system? Saw an ad for it in a coffee mag my parents bought back from their latest SE Asia trip and it seems pretty unique - like a cross between a K-cup and V60/Chemex.
That seems incredibly wasteful. I couldn't tell from the website, but you're not reusing the bags, right? The bag comes to you with pre ground coffee, so it's still not as fresh as grinding at home.

I guess it could be alright to grab a few bags for a weekend camping trip and it'd be the topic of conversation for 5 seconds. However, I think there's other better methods out there.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

geetee posted:

Do any roasters have sample packs with ~50g per coffee? It's so hard to compare when you're spending a couple weeks finishing a single bag before it goes stale.

This is what I need. There's a store near me that sells small sample packs but who knows when some of them have been roasted...I suppose it could be worth a try though...am I really going to lose much of the flavor profile from coffee that was roasted a few weeks prior? I assume I'll still get the gist of what type of flavors are there? I'm mainly just trying to find out what regions I like without buying 1/2 pound at a time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sweet Maria's has a Panamanian Gesha in.

I just saw on the news that apparently Starbucks has acquired some of this and is charging $7/cup. Any idea how much they burn it though? :iiam:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ded posted:

So the roaster I've been getting beans from has Jamaican Blue. Priced at $70/lb. Is it really that drat good?
I've only had it once and It definitely wasn't worth it..about 6 months ago when I first checked my roaster was selling it for $35/pound. That roaster always puts some sample brews up each day and that day the owner was off so the other two people working decided to brew up some Jamaican blue. I'm guessing its just artificial inflation but I don't know that much about coffee economics to know if that's right.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doh004 posted:

Oh man, this Sumatran Lake Toba 19+ Screen is absolutely delicious. Been using old lovely store bought coffee while waiting for this and the difference is just night and day.

Gonna roast up some Yemen next weekend.

Well, I just jumped into roasting at home. I found a West Bend Poppery (1500 watt model) on ebay so I ended up grabbing it. I also bought a 4 pound sample pack of sweet marias and a pound of that Sumatran Lake Toba above.

So, on to roasting.

I put 1/2 cup of the sumatran in the poppery, turned it on, and roasted for about 5:45. I think I was hearing some very faint cracks around 4:15, but I'm not sure...it wasn't very audible. Around 5:15 I heard some much louder cracks. I didn't want to burn my house down on my first experimentation by letting the roast go too long, so I figured 1/2 cup trial for my first try would be good.

I ended up with the picture below...

I'm going to let it out gas for about 24 hours before I try it out. Any recommendations on hearing the cracks and if this is a decent roast? I'm still completely brand new to this obviously, so advice is appreciated...for the sampler, I ended up with:

Colombia Vereda Pedregal, which it lists as a good SO espresso (no espresso maker...maybe it will still be good as normal coffee?)

Ethiopia Gome Duromina Cooperative

Nicaragua Acopio Suyatl

Sumatra Pak Lintong Joner (another listed as a good SO espresso)

Thanks for any help/insight!

Edit:I also have a infrared thermometer...could I use that to wait until it hits a certain temp and I know to pull it off at that point perhaps?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 11, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doh004 posted:

Going off what Roybot said, sound is definitely a great indicator. You'll get used to distinguishing from first crack and second. It took me a while to realize it's not a crack all at once as the beans reach that point throughout a span of time. I also can't tell from that picture, but don't worry about getting it right the first time. I kept (I should keep doing this but I'm lazy) a log when I started trying to find a sweet spot.

I would definitely suggest you use an infrared thermometer! I use mine and roast to around 440 F to get a good FC+ roast (great for those Sumatran). This is the pic I used for the recent challenge I had with Ricola:

Once it hits 440 I turn of the machine and dump it out into a metal colander and shake it around to remove excess chafe. After about a minute of shaking I then throw it onto a baking sheet that starts absorbing any residual heat.

Awesome. I think I have the same machine as you...any idea how long it takes to get to 440? Also, where are you aiming the laser at? Going off what Roybot said, looking back I honestly think I had just hit the first crack, as I heard something akin to popcorn popping. However...I definitely didn't hear all the beans pop...maybe only 10-15 cracks in a 1/2 cup of beans.

I was mainly worried about it starting a fire as I read somewhere after the second crack it could become a fire concern. Also, it wasn't smoking whatsoever so I'm sure it didn't get hot enough. The beans also aren't as smooth as some other roasted ones I have are from a roaster.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doh004 posted:

I aim it right down the middle and I rest the gun on the top of the plastic covering (that our poppery's have). I tend to use the "max" temperature read on it as you will get readings all over the place.

The first roast will usually hit FC+ around 5 1/2 to 6 minutes at 1/2 cup. The second roast (I allow for about 15 minutes of cooldown inbetween) will usually take 4 to 4 1/2 minutes. I've found time to be a tough indicator of when the roasting is complete. Sight, sound and the thermometer work the best for me.

Don't worry, you won't start a fire if you're smart. I have my popper right next to an empty kitchen sink, and I make sure to have fan(s) venting out the smoke that's being generated and I live in a tiny 350 sq ft apartment. Once you reach the second crack you will see a fair amount of smoke, that's for sure.

Good to know and thanks for the tips...I had no idea you needed to stop roasting in between first/second crack...I figured you would hear the first and just keep it going. Do you take the beans out after the first crack and shake them in the colander and then put them back into the popper after 15 minutes or just leave them in the popper and turn it off for 15 before starting it up again?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doh004 posted:

Oh no, I think you misunderstood and I wasn't being clear. I roast 1 cup of coffee total in 1/2 cup batches. The first 1/2 cup takes longer than the second because the poppery is already heated up.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up...I thought I was going crazy when I read all the other reviews and no one was talking about stopping mid-roast!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I have a standard stove top kettle right now and I don't bother measuring the temperature...I just wait for it to whistle, take it off, wait 10 seconds and then pour.

Having said that, I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and am looking to see if there are any necessary upgrades...

I use a capresso infinity and am not planning on upgrading anytime soon.

For the kettle though. That programmable Bonavita looks nice, but is it $100 nice? Or would I be good just getting a stovetop Bonavita for $30? I also saw a programmable kettle at target yesterday that was $35 made by oster. However it had a lovely spout that is similar to what I have now.

If the spout isn't a problem, I'm inclined to go with the oster. However, if I will notice a huge difference with a better spout (I switch between aero press, CCD, and French press) then it's a question of spending 30 vs 100. Suggestions?

Link to oster: http://www.priceviewer.com/target/248613/Oster-1.7-L-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Kettle-[MODEL-BVST-EK5967]

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Third Man posted:

Is a cuisinart burr grinder an acceptable purchase for aeropress/frenchpress coffee? I know there are better ones out there but I can't afford to spend a whole lot.
I had the cuisinart for a year and it loving sucks. Loud as poo poo and leaves powder everywhere.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

In a sampler pack from Sweet Maria's, I got 2 pounds of beans that are listed as being good for espresso. Since I don't have an espresso maker, are these worth roasting for my normal coffee? I'm going to try it regardless, but would like to hear if it's viable or worth it even.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think I just realized something today. I've been using a poppery 1500 watt for the last couple weeks and using 1/2 cup per normal instructions, but it was always taking a long time (7+ minutes inside) to get to second crack. Today I rewatched the video on sweet Maria's and it seems like I didn't have enough beans- they were flying around from the start. So I added a bit less than 3/4 cup this time and the difference was crazy. Way more audible cracks and it got to second crack in maybe 5:30. I guess I didn't have enough beans so all the heat was just escaping?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

jet sanchEz posted:

I am interested in the Clever Coffee Dripper that is in the OP but it looks like the mechanism on the bottom of it would only be activated by a rather slim cup, is that correct? I like to drink my coffee out of a big honking mug, am I out of luck here?

Yep. It can fit standard mugs and slightly bigger, but if you're putting it in a giant mug you need to press the opening on the bottom with your hand.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cyborganizer posted:

I get your point, I'm just a cheapass. I'll just go ahead and order one since I finally bought a burr grinder this morning after thinking about it for months because I got a good deal for it. Picked up a Capresso Infinity for $56 new (casa dot com with a 30% off coupon "CASA30"). I figure I can always upgrade later to a nicer Baratza, but the Capresso should work fine for Aeropress and CCD, right?

I have the same setup and it works fine for aero press and CCD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wife knocked my CCD over onto the floor and it cracked. Dammit.