Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks to this thread I've acquired an Aeropress, a manual ceramic burr grinder, and some whole beans from Blue Bottle this past week. Coffee is awesome now and I don't even add milk or sugar any more. Now I just need to find a quality vacuum/flask tumbler thing.

Just last week I was using Mount Hagen instant coffee. Though it's still pretty good if I don't feel like grinding IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm really glad I bought a $5 thermometer. I was wondering why my coffee in the aeropress tasted so bitter and it turns out the water was too hot and was burning the grounds. They smelled wonderful when I ground it but after I took a sip it was just foul so I knew I was doing something wrong. Get a $5 thermometer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Third Man posted:

I'm thinking of putting together a small coffee kit to take to work, and looking at grinders on sweetmarias, would this be adequate for french press/pour over: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/grinders/electric-grinders/bodum-bistro-electric-mill.html

I was thinking about getting a hand grinder, but if this does the job for less money and significantly less effort I'd rather go with that if I won't be able to taste a huge difference.

If you're doing a coarse grind for the French Press it should take like 30 seconds to manually grind for one cup. You can do it while waiting for water to boil.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you just nuke the milk without frothing it you can call it a cafe au lait.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've gotten the hang of the Aeropress now and want to try something else. I've been looking at the various pour overs and am wondering why anyone would choose something over the Clever Dripper? It looks much more convenient with no technique needed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't think of that. I can make coffee for 2 on the Aeropress but it must be tricky on the Clever Dripper. I guess the Clever is only used for 1 serving at a time.

Do you brew for the whole 4 minutes that they recommend? I like my coffee hot and that sounds like a long time to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Casull posted:

I'm thinking of portability, as my current coffee setup fits in a travel pack nicely anyway (mostly, the blade grinder's the bulkiest) and I'd like to keep it that way.

Once I have more money, I'll get an electronic burr grinder for home as well! :buddy:

While I'm at it, I should get a new single-cup brewer, though that's not as necessary as my 4-year-old plastic Melitta one is still serviceable. It's just not as nice as a glass or porcelain one.

I prefer the Mini because it has a lid. On the Skerton model if you try to grind quickly the beans go flying out the top. You also have to hold it down on a table or something while grinding. With the mini you can hold it in whatever position and grind away. I don't use my Skerton anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tried the Clever Dripper for the first time today and it tastes wonderful. I was worried the 4 minute brew time would make it bitter or become cold but I didn't have any problems. I made sure to preheat everything like was suggested here. Thanks for the help guys.

It's a little easier to set up and clean than the Aeropress. I'm going to try out different brewing times, I defintely needed to try a few different ones before I was happy with my Aeropress.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 30, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Went to a Blue Bottle cafe yesterday (great poached eggs in addition to manual pour overs) and I've never seen so many iPads in one place outside of an Apple Store. There's something really hosed up about going to a place that sells $5 cups of coffee and less than a block away you can find the sketchiest part of San Francisco full of crackheads.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My ceramic Bonmac came in a sturdy box. Keep that for transport.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Started out with just an Aeropress and pre-ground coffee a few weeks ago.

I just took this pic this morning. I went a little nuts - Hario burr grinders, Hario kettle, Bonmac dripper, Hario carafe, Zojirushi mug, and I'm still planning to get a better scale in the future!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Xeom posted:

Can goons recommend a cheap coffee maker for a broke college student with no time to do hand drip and such?
Right now I am looking at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KBZ95Y/?tag=squidoo047-20 .

I figure at this price range ($>25), it really does not matter what you buy.

Clever Dripper.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do people recommend such short brewing times for an Aeropress (less than a minute) while the Clever Dripper needs 3-4 minutes? ANd does anyone else really dislike the idea of diluting the coffee from the Aeropress with more water after making it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Metanaut posted:

Probably because people generally use finer grind with AP? Slightly finer than drip is the common recommendation.

After trying countless techniques, I've found my favorite to be basically this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ics7oymw8

Except I usually do it inverted.

I've actually used these instructions but I'm still messing something up, probably the grind like you said.

After using the Clever and the Aeropress for the past few weeks I think I ultimately prefer the $14 ceramic dripper from Bonmac. It looks like a Hario V60 but it has a tiny hole instead of a big one and uses normal filters. I've got my routine down to make consistently tasty coffee for what I like.

24g beans ground to look and feel like soft sand (#25 setting on the Baratza Encore)
Add 350g water slowly over the course of 3 minutes, including bloom time.

That's about it, I don't even need to use a special pouring kettle.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 11, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is this a good French Press grind?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AriTheDog posted:

The big pieces yes, the tiny fine stuff, no, and since it's all going in the FP together, no, it's a pretty terrible grind for FP. The key to good FP coffee is in a regular grind so you can get an even extraction (and no sludge).

That's how a nearby coffee shop ground it when I asked them to show me what a french press grind is supposed to look like :wtf:

They make good espressos but I avoid everything else there

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does anyone here have both an Able Kone and a French press? I'm using the Able Kone lately and like it a lot because it doesn't filter out the oils. Is a French press going to taste pretty much the same?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I read that you should be using about 15 pounds of pressure to push down a French press. I'm trying out different grinds with my Baratza Encore and Bodum Chambord (4 cup) and I don't need any pressure. I set it to a coarse grind and the plunger went down easily. I set it to medium (about a Chemex) and it was exactly the same. I set it for the Hario V60 (fine) and it's still exactly the same when I plunge it. Do I have a defective plunger? I don't notice a difference in amount of sediment, but I also don't drink the last few sips.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know what that means

I'm using these instructions, should I try something else?
http://www.bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guide/french-press/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's another thing - the coffee doesn't taste all that good. I'm getting richer and more aromatic coffees from my pour overs. I think I need to let it brew longer than 3 minutes.

Also cleaning a French press sucks.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 22, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've had a Nespresso and a k-cup and both were just ok. My morning pour over takes about 5 minutes and tastes way better.

It takes about 2 minutes to boil the water, you can grind the beans during that time in 30 seconds. 3 minutes to do the pour over. I can understand wanting instant coffee in the workplace or whatever, but I can spare 5 minutes at home.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have several different cones and you really do need to just pour a little at a time with all of them. Otherwise it will just fall through and you'll get less than a minute of brew time. I have a Bonmac ceramic cone that's easy to use because it has a tiny hole on the bottom but you still need to stand there and pour for about 2-3 minutes. You don't need to use much technique though so it's very easy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Doh004 posted:

To move the subject off that tangent, am I the only one who sometimes gets a hankering for a sweet creamy "coffee"? That's how I started drinking coffee, and have since moved on to drinking it all black, but sometimes it'd be great to say gently caress it and drink a liquid dessert.

Hell yes. Every Saturday and Sunday I go down to a good cafe and get a full fat latte and I love it. I just drink black on weekdays.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is Illy supposed to be good? I was at a Sur La Table buying kitchen stuff and they had cans of pre-ground Illy brand coffee. Looks like Folgers.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 17, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Had brunch at a restaurant today called Outerlands and they surprisingly made and served coffee in a 6 cup Chemex. A girl was manually grinding the beans in some huge contraption too. Felt sorry for her but the coffee was pretty good.

I feel like a snob now because I noticed they weren't using a scale or a timer while making it :colbert: It's a busy restaurant though so understandable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mandalay posted:

Chemex require a lot of babysitting but would strictly speaking be better for brewing multiple cups (since you asked for larger sizes). The Clever (L) that I use every morning brews a fairly generous cup though, certainly more of a yield than an aeropress.

I find the Chemex very easy to use. The thick paper filter makes it so you can use a pretty wide gamut of grind sizes. You don't even need a special pouring kettle. I think my Chemex owns and use it every day.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well not *need* but it certainly makes using something like a Hario V60 a little easier.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought a $30 Hamilton Beach electric kettle and it works great. Heats up water in a minute or two to about 200 degrees. I use a $20 thermometer from thermaworks http://www.amazon.com/RT600C-Super-...words=thermapen

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you stirring it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah the grind setting seems to be different on each Baratza machine. I have it set to 22 on my Baratza Encore. If I set it finer then it's way too small and clogs it up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought it on Amazon and it's the large

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't titanium really soft? Steel/ceramic sound better for long term.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bonavita's knockoff of the Clever kind of looks ugly. I was hoping a non-plastic one would have a nicer design. I hope Clever will just make a ceramic one already.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ceramic feels nicer in my hand and i like that they are heavy :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It might be this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mupueSMHBJQ

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You shouldn't do that. In the video you can see when he does that some of the water just shoots straight down. But he only did it for a second to reintegrate the grounds on the sides that moved up too much. Better to try to keep the bed of grounds low in the first place IMO.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Here's how I've been doing it.

42grams of coffee
300 grams of water
300 grams ice

Put the ice in the Chemex and then just brew the the coffee with the water. I use really fresh roasted beans though, usually less than 3-4 days old. Don't need any milk or anything, it's already very sweet and fragrant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. If you do it this way it's ready to drink right away. It only takes 4-5 minutes of work.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Much less than a french press but there is still some. You won't be drinking the last couple sips in the cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When did parklets become a thing and why are there so many of them