Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Four years on from the OP, is there a better budget/entry grinder than the Hario Mini? I was just getting into making my own coffee when something so unspeakably disgusting happened to the grinding mechanism on my old one that I just threw the whole thing out.

Looks like the entry point for decent powered options has gone up to $100 if the Baratza refurb site is any indication. I have a Clever Dripper (which I use 90% of the time) and French press and it sounds like the bigger Hario needs some modification to do a fine grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

uninverted posted:

You can't drop a bomb like that and not give any details.

I was shaking out old grounds while holding it over the trash can, forgetting in my early morning stupor that the ceramic burrs are free to fall out once you open the grinder.

As I would come to realize a moment later, a visiting elderly relative had disposed of their Depends in the same trash can.

I'm normally of the "eh wipe it off and it'll be fine" school but that was a bit much :yosbutt::nexus:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm looking for a manual grinder for pourover, aeropress, maybe moka pot (but probably not often). Budget is flexible but decidedly entry level. I do think I would be happy to have the extra capacity when I need it, so I am focusing on options that have an advertised capacity of 30g (I think this rules out the cheaper 1zpressos but their product lineup confuses me)

The following seem like the go-to options:
Timemore C2 Max $70
Timemore C3 Max $90
Timemore C3 Pro Max $100
Kingrinder K6 $100

Based on conversation a few days ago, seems like the Kingrinder is the best deal of the bunch, but am I missing anything?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

PRADA SLUT posted:

just sucking beans out of a weasel rear end

Man you just about had a thread title there, until

i own every Bionicle posted:

Gimmick poo poo made from needless suffering to sell to people who don’t know any better.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm looking for a manual grinder for pourover, aeropress, maybe moka pot (but probably not often). Budget is flexible but decidedly entry level. I do think I would be happy to have the extra capacity when I need it, so I am focusing on options that have an advertised capacity of 30g (I think this rules out the cheaper 1zpressos but their product lineup confuses me)

The following seem like the go-to options:
Timemore C2 Max $70
Timemore C3 Max $90
Timemore C3 Pro Max $100
Kingrinder K6 $100

I got the Kingrinder K6. Seems nice. The finest grind setting ring doesn't index to 0 (more like -4), although the manual does say this is normal. I think. It seems to be a product of Google Translate and that section is odd.

Grinder in hand, I made my first Aeropress coffee using James Hoffman's technique. I found a bag of this at the grocery store that had been roasted in the last month, which I figured would be good enough to dial in some basic technique before tracking down something fancier. I couldn't find a definitive grind setting for the Kingrinder but 60-75 was what I could make out as a reasonable Aeropress setting from random comments on reddit.

Attempt 1: Grind setting around 68. Forgot to start the timer right away and I got the water a little too hot, but I don't think either was catastrophically wrong (like +5F and +/- 15 seconds). Probably swirled a little too vigorously too.

Result: Definitely acidic. Maybe more sour than I would like. Drinkable but I kinda wanted to add some sugar and milk.

Attempt 2: Grind setting of 70 (slightly coarser than before). Water was dead on 200F and I got the timing more or less right. I overshot the pour slightly but probably not enough to matter.

Result: A bit more balanced (albeit a touch weak?) although I'm not sure it's gonna wow me. Tastes pretty coffee-ish but I'm not really picking up "milk chocolate" or "ripe fruit" or anything like that. Just coffee with a touch of acidity/sourness.

I don't want to drink any more coffee today, but I'll try going a little finer again and being more on-the-spot with the recipe next time. I know poo poo all about this stuff though, if anyone has any recommendations on how I should try and dial this in I'm all ears.