Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

NM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Just got a Baratza Encore and a Clever Dripper. Suggestions on grind size? I've tried 20 as recommended by others online (e.g. somewhere between drip and press) and it just tastes kinda "flat". I'm using 22g fresh ground Costa Rican with 350g water, steep time of 2:30 with a 1:00 draw down. Of note, it doesn't drain completely within that last minute. Try upping to a grind setting of ~30? Or go finer with a shorter brew time?

Ironically the grinder the Encore replaced (a disc burr Cuisinart piece of garbage) seemed to make a more nuanced cup at similar grind settings, despite having less grind consistency...

amenenema fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 17, 2016

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Wicked, thanks all!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Guitarchitect posted:

My lifestyle is about to be up-ended as I move into a new home and, *gasp*, I'll have space to entertain. I suspect we'll host brunches + dinners, and I've only got a V60 and a French Press to my name.

So - what's the best way to make a pot of coffee for such occasional occasions? My first thought was a Chemex and a Thermal Carafe. But - should I stuff my snobbery and get a Bonavita BV1900TS? An OXO 9-Cup Barista Brain? The Zojirushi deal?

In my case, not a single one of my friends can tell the difference between good pourover and gas station coffee. And they're gonna put cream/sugar in it anyway. So if you're like me, just get a cheap drip machine (Cuisinart, etc.) and save yourself some money.

Or get a Technivorm. Because at least then they'll be impressed with how it looks.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

What's the best low-effort and/or quick way to brew? I've been bouncing between moka pot, french press, and drip brew. I haven't been able to get fast enough at the former two to justify them as the added attention/cleanup always takes too much time in the morning. Drip brew is nice and easy but it doesn't taste as nice. I've never tried any of the other ways (aeropress, cold brew) listed. Would they be better?

Clever dripper

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

withak posted:

Just get her some caramel syrup and a milk foamer to use with regular brewed coffee.

If you shake the hell out of the creamer carton/container and then pour you basically get average coffeeshop latte foam.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Is there any downside to using the Kalita Wave 185 for a single cup, versus the 155?

My recipe is 24g for 400ml and a 185 is the perfect size. Any smaller and the first pour after the bloom would risk overtopping the filter.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Recommendations for affordable Burr grinders? I think my Bodum is about to kick the bucket soon after 7 years of daily use.

Baratza Encore new/refurb with the M2 burr - https://www.baratza.com/shop/cone-burr-2 - poor person's Virtuoso/Precisio. Don't worry about buying a different ring burr if you're buying a new/refurb Encore (some recommend buying a new ring burr if you've used the Encore with the M3 cone burr for a long time so the two "wear in together" but even that's probably BS).

If you get a new one you might even be able to get the M3 burr off without disassembling the machine (use threads it on harder and FYI IT'S REVERSE THREADED!) but honestly disassembling to get a clamp on the gearset so you can turn the burr off is about a 5 min job. Lots of videos/guides out there.

It honestly makes a big difference. With the M3 the ends of my Kalita brews would slow way down as the fines began to accumulate in the bed; with the M2 the drawdown time is much more consistent from start to finish.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The regular version of that Califa Farms "barista-style" oat milk is my favorite of all the stuff I've tried for a milk substitute with espresso. Very little flavor at all (lets the coffee shine), froths pretty well (even in a french press!), and is easy to find at most grocery stores in my area (midwest, so not "speciality").

Most other non-dairy stuff aimed at coffee drinks is UNBELIEVABLY sweet and/or vanilla flavored. That has its place for some drinks (especially if the person you're making it for expects a flavored coffee shop chain-style latte) but drat does it completely remove the flavor of coffee.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

Hey I've been considering this upgrade for a while. Do you have a link to one of these videos handy?

For sure!

https://youtu.be/vxbaS8UXCpk

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Flair Pro 2 plus a JX-Pro here, absolutely outstanding for the ~$500 total price. 18g dose at 1.8.0 on the grinder gives 36g out at 30sec pretty reliablely...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

my 1zpresso jx is a hell of a lot easier to turn than the manual grinders I've used previously (skerton, javapresse, some zassenhaus wood box thing). In fact my main problem is that I have to do two batches if I need more than 30g of coffee due to the size of the hopper

100% - it just flies through beans compared to something like a Porlex

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Obligatory Flair/Robot and JX-Pro recommendation. Especially if it's just a lazy weekend thing and you don't have to crank out shots fast before work or whatever.

My Flair/JX combo pulls a better shot than I can get at nice places locally and takes ~5 min start to finish plus cleanup

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

nwin posted:

Yeah I should have mentioned that. It’s for espresso. My Kinu probably takes about a minute for 18grams…I only do 1-2 shots a day but for dialing in, it gets kinda old.

Really? 18g in my JXPro is like, 15-20sec

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

nwin posted:

I just timed 17.5g at 40 seconds.

Man-kinda want the Jxpro now assuming our grind sizes are the same.

FWIW 18g takes about 60 "turns" so maybe some of it is just how fast ya wanna crank.

Wait

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

nwin posted:

100 cranks on the Kinu Phoenix.

Interesting. James if you're reading this please do a video about how differences in burr design change the number of revolutions required to grind a given weight of coffee k thx bye

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

nwin posted:

I wonder if the roast has anything to do with it too. Like would a lighter roast just be more difficult to grind or would it actually take more revolutions as well? I’m using a medium-dark roast anyways so the point still probably stands that the Kinu is slower than the JX Pro.

I actually see no advantage to the Kinu…if you get the big one then maybe the all meta build quality compared to the Phoenix which has some metal, but I think that’s probably it.

The 60 turn JX example was with a dark espresso roast. Tried today with something medium/medium-dark: 75 turns! Looks like we're on to something.

Once I get through these two bags I'll pickup something lighter and report back. I guess I would have assumed that a lighter roast would make it harder to turn the grinder, but the change in number of revolutions is a surprise.

And the real advantage to the higher end Kinus is the thumb stop. But that wasn't worth the extra $$$ over the JX to me.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

aldantefax posted:

I would like to purchase another carafe other than the standard Kalita 500ml one. I used to use a Yama Glass one that was a bit prettier so I might get one again, but I'm surprised there hasn't been a real play at the beaker-style glass game for coffee nerds unless I missed something. I think most other things were like, Chemex clones or V60 all-in-ones or the like.

https://kurasu.kyoto/products/coffee-server-pitchii

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Flair Pro2+JXPro+Bellman steamer here. Great setup for ~$500.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

For what it's worth I get excellent results out of my 6-cup Bialetti - of the 280g water capacity I can get over 210g out which by Hoffmann's take is pretty great!

GE gas stove on the tiny burner that is basically the same diameter as the base of the pot. Boiling water in the base, 24g of medium roast coffee ground about 10 on an Encore, basically between espresso and pour over, though I don't really notice a huge difference w/ grind size. Put it on that tiny burner on high and once the flow out of the top starts to speed up reduce to the lowest setting.

Makes a great base for 2 quick lattes/flat whites too!

Put the basket in a shot glass to fill/distribute btw ;D

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

My exact response upon thinking of it and trying it.

Also Hoffmann has a video about 3D printing coffee things and one of the items is a moka pot basket holder.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

There are a few versions of this that are the only ones I could find after extensive searching other than $$$ acaia stuff that fits under a Flair nicely. Has a timer too.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Anyone have experience with the Option-O Lagom Mini? Perhaps compared to a Niche? Looking for a single dosing espresso capable grinder now that I've realized how wildly different shot times are with hand grinder RPM variance.

No exaggerating - with my JX-Pro I can make a shot that pulls in 15 seconds vs 50 seconds just with how fast I grind (slower grind = slower shot). It's absolutely nuts so now I want a static RPM grinder so I have one less variable to worry about.

I'll probably just get a Niche but thought I'd ask on the Mini. Thanks!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Qylvaran posted:

I just made some cold pressed espresso in my Flair this morning (summer has finally come to the Pacific Northwest) and it was great! 16g in, 24g out, just fine enough to choke the machine normally and an extra long pre-infusion. Came out sweet, fruity, and full bodied. I highly recommend it if you have the equipment.

Time?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

adebisi lives posted:

I have an aeropress with the fellow prizmo attachment and a glass size 3 hario switch. Between these two relatively cheap, small footprint devices I can make reasonably good espresso style beverages, single cup immersion coffee, pour over, etc, along with a 2 and a half cup style carafe with the switch doing a pour over/immersion hybrid recipe.

So those two devices really cover all my bases and yet I still stare at moka pots, kalita waves, or drip machines pondering which device to add next.

Totally same. I have a Kalita and an Origami dripper too, but who am I kidding, I can't tell the difference between those and the Switch (or any other variety of "standard pour over" for that matter).

Aeropress and Prismo isn't espresso, but it isn't normal Aeropress either. Just a really cool, unique beverage and a decent espresso substitute in milk drinks. And I do love a Moka Pot for strong, simple coffee first thing in the morning.

Honestly the biggest quality of life coffee thing I've gotten recently was a cheap knockoff of Hoffman's Tens Hundreds Thousands dosing cups. Search "tea scoop" on Amazon.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 22, 2022

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

gret posted:

I just bought James' dosing tray for $20.50 total shipped to the US, so I'm not sure if you're saving much money if at all by buying a knockoff on Amazon. Actually doing a quick glance at "tea scoop" on Amazon, and the one that looks closest to James' dosing tray also costs $20.50 (even more once you add tax).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076TZFT4B?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

If you really have a 4-6mm undersized tamper that's the main issue here, right? I agree going up to a double shot dose is a good idea, but without the whole puck being tamped it's still gonna be a helluva donut extraction at best!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Having tried using a Niche for everything, I can confidently say don't do it. You'll be way off the dial in terms of adjustment for drip/pourover (or dog forbid, french press) and you'll be chasing re-dialing in for espresso.

As for the question on the JX-Pro, it's a REALLY nicely made piece, but what I found was a HUGE variance depending on grind speed. Since it's a hand grinder, I wasn't able to get the consistency I can with a Niche hand grinding. I even tried running it off a drill but still ended up with some shots running fast and some choking at the same setting (and occasionally it was perfect!) I'm also doing this on a Flair so an additional variable in terms of hand-pulling shots vs. a traditional machine.

If you can't spring for a Niche, the JX-Pro is very capable (and grinds super fast too), it just wasn't consistent enough for my setup. It also is stepped and has much less of an issue with retention than an electric grinder so I think you could get away with using it for both pourover and espresso, but you'd be dialing a lot and it might be hard to keep track of.

In the end, my Encore came out of retirement to be the "everything but espresso" grinder and the Niche is wonderful for espresso.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Huh, I don't get that issue at all with Flair + JX-Pro. I'll try some side by side with grind speed as the variable, but so far my numbers are really tight day to day. Out of curiosity, how long do you pre infuse? Are you pulling at 9 bar?

For me it's 10 sec at 1.5 bar, starting time from the first drop, and 1-2 grams drip through in those 10 seconds. Then I max out at 5-6 bar, eyeballing my target flow rate.

1 bar or so pre infusion for maybe 5 seconds, then pulling in the middle of the gauge so like 7ish bar. Would have variance from like 25 to 35 seconds shot time (18g->36g). If I ground super fast intentionally I could swing the shot time by like 20 seconds.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

Grab one of the espresso hand grinders mentioned in this thread to save a buck I think.

See previous bit about how that adds just another frustration/variable. Despite being cheaper I'd say that hand grinders are a hinderance for someone just getting into the hobby (and therefore needing to control as many variables as possible).

Get a Niche Zero (cheapest "universally recommended" espresso grinder of which I'm aware), a Lagom Mini (cheaper, but potentially undersized motor for lots of grinding and also apparently a pretty noisy grinder), or wait for the Fellow Opus reviews as others have said.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Corb3t posted:

My Encore is such a pain to dial in - it either chokes on the "3" dial, or pulls too fast on the "4".

It's funny how when you ask online for guidance on what grinder setting to use for whatever brew method and everyone responds "every grinder is unique, can't do it" and yet this was my EXACT experience with my Encore.

I know the plural of anecdote isn't evidence, so I guess "sup randomly identically calibrated Encore buddy!"

FWIW I bet you'd find the following good starting points if you don't know them already (light to med roasts):

Fellow Prismo Aeropress "espresso" shot - 8
Moka pot - 14
V60 - 16
Switch/Clever - 20
Cold brew - 25

amenenema fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 10, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Every grinder is unique...

Oh for sure, I agree. I just thought it was ironic and figured throwing out some numbers that work for non-espresso stuff might be helpful.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ulvir posted:

my favourite example of this dumb poo poo was that one video where someone suggested faffing around with one of those needle tools in a pour over. because nothing very bad could ever come from mixing pointed metal with wet paper

I attempted this once during the bloom. Hard to avoid ripping the paper, made a mess, and no change to the end result. Welp

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I spent way too long trying to get the brew chamber on my Flair hot enough to pull a 18->36g shot in 30s that wasn't sour. Running the same grind out to 40g out in around 45s and voila - best espresso I've ever had.

Not to say that there isn't value in getting a setup to replicate what high end machines can do, but I guess I'm saying don't stress about hitting the standard numbers.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Sour espressochat: I'm putting in 18g, getting out 45g in 30s, but it's still sour. This is having started out getting out 36g but at that point I want timing it. I know it's under extracted, but what's the next direction I need to go in? Finer grind so it can only get 36g through in 30s?

Either grind finer or pull longer (in terms of time and in:out ratio). You're trying to get higher extraction and those are the two basic ways. Upping temp and pressure can do the same, as will lowering dose, but start with grind or time. And don't be wed to 30s - light roasts especially are hard to extract and may just need more contact time with the water.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Seconding moka pot! Throw an Aeropress filter in there and it's my favorite first cup of the day for sure.

Also definitely

thotsky posted:

Get a Hario Switch and you can do immersion and V60.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 5, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

i own every Bionicle posted:

Do you have any tips for easily cleaning it? I got a Moka pot and when I go through the ritual of getting everything just right I can get a good cup of coffee out of it, but cleaning it is a huge pain in the rear end, and when I threw it in the dishwasher like a rube it got all discolored (so now I think I’m banned from Italy).

Honestly I just wipe it out daily and deep clean with some bottle brushes like once a week. I think the paper filter definitely helps keep the upper chamber cleaner.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Excellent feedback guys, thank you.

I'll begin by upping my grinder game first. It'll benefit me on the other coffee styles as well.

Cart before horse noted.

IMO get a Niche and a Flair/Robot to start. Upgrade to a traditional machine if/when you outgrow the manual style.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Ok, these loving Niche are hard to find.

I -on a whim- put a bid on a sette 270 but I'm hearing they're rocket engine-loud.

If that gets sniped by someone :pray: I'll throw money at a new Encore ESP. Then I'll move on to finding the right espresso machine.

My wife has decided she's got a stake in this game and demands I get something that can steam milk.

I'm toying with the Bambino just to get the workflow down and begin playing around. I fully expect I'll upgrade to something a bit more fun later.

Love my Bellman steamer...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I love my 1zpresso JX. It was on sale for $130 a few months ago.

This!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

YOU WIN, COFFEE PEOPLE! This arrived yesterday along with a grinder. It replaces my $40 hamilton beach I got off amazon that makes bad coffee with pre-ground starbucks beans.

I picked up a "capresso infinity plus" and when it arrived it's much bigger than I recall the capresso at work being (from... 6 years ago.) It looked different in the picture but I figured 10 years of cosmetic updates or whatever just meant this was the new model. Is there something a little more compact that gets the job done? I'm not grinding artisinal beans (yet) and I've seen how deep the rabbit hole goes for that with people having several hundred dollar scales, thousand+++ dollar grinders, and similarly priced home espresso machines.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/capresso-infinity-plus-coffee-grinder

https://www.option-o.com/shop/lagom-mini

???