Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For those that have been waiting, Baratza redid their site and reloaded their store with a ton of refurbs at all price levels.

Maestro is 70 refurb , Maestro plus is 95 (new is 145), and Virtuoso is 143 (new is 250).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AriTheDog posted:

Thanks for pointing this out! Anyone know what the difference between the Maestro and Maestro Plus is? People in another thread somewhere else were saying the only difference is the pulse switch on the front, and the metal base. Anyone know?

I tried finding this out -- it looks like the Maestro Plus just replaced the Maestro and there's very little difference.

To avoid that problem I just went and talked myself into the Virtuoso. It had better reviews and hey, it's a gift for Christmas so why not be a little generous!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just got the Virtuoso I ordered as a gift. Holy poo poo is it heavy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hmm, guess I have to unwrap mine and open it to make sure. Yep, looks clean to me. The hopper was wrapped in plastic and looked very good.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 6, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mine arrived looking fine. I placed the order the day the new website was launched and it had a working tracking number. It took a minute to get through their system given Thanksgiving but I was properly notified when it was given to UPS and was all good.

I was invoice #91. I'm betting this is an isolated incident but it's not acceptable and you should raise enough hell to get it fixed to your liking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My refurb baratza virtuoso came 99% clean, a few specs of coffee showing that they tested it before sending it out.

That thing rules, by the way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's the recommended grind setting for a Virtuoso / Aeropress combination?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm tired of buying the little cartons of Stumptown cold brew and should just brew the stuff at home.

It seems like a pretty basic process but any cold brew setups that are constructed to make things easy/convenient over other setups?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks, I don't have a pourover unfortunately. My wife has a drip machine and a baratzo virtuoso grinder. She had an aeropress but I feel like that would be a bit too small?

Gonna go try Mason jars, thanks!

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 26, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

becoming posted:

I use this for filtering: http://amzn.com/B000MIT2OK It's cheap, filters are cheap, and in a pinch, you can actually make hot coffee in it.

You can also use nut milk bags. I use them for being able to squeeze more concentrate out of the grounds. These are the ones I bought: http://amzn.com/B00KI2RQHU

Ask any questions you have and let us know how it goes. If anything in the linked cold brew post is unclear, let me know and I'll update it.

It's super clear, thank you. I'll adjust the grind on my grinder to a higher number to make it a little more coarse and experiment from there.

I felt like most people started cold brewing with a variety of other tools -- I just wasn't sure what would be advised if you had to start over and had nothing to use already. The links above really help!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

First batch of cold brew is --- not bad!

I did the 1:4 method but couldn't find 2qt jars locally so I used 1qt and halved coffee and water. I used an house blend from a favorite coffee shop, but the beans were definitely old. I used our Virtuoso grinder set to around the highest setting (biggest grind) that you'd use for french press.

The one thing I found was that there was some dust that made it through the nut milk bags and are stuck to the side of the glass as I am drinking.. I am guessing that's from not cleaning the Virtuoso and just residual dust from many of the previous very fine grinds. Could it be anything else?

Also any tips for squeezing the most coffee out of the grounds? I feel like my yield of water I put in vs concentrated coffee I got out was pretty low.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Any reason I couldn't or wouldn't want to use my aero press to press the remaining water out of the grounds?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

People looking to cold brew: Container store has 1.5L glass jars. They easily work for 800g water / 200g coffee where 1L will fall short.

I still need a better way to increase yields. 800g of water is lucky to be 470g of concentrate with squeezing the hell out of the filter bag. Then I've got to filter again because there's a ton of silt.

I think realistically with my poor yields you could save ~40% vs just going to Stumptown and getting a growler of cold brew.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're insane. It's very different tasting that the cold brew in the bottle usually stocked next to it.

In a bad way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitro in a can is gross. The keg is better but still weird.

For my cold brew at home I used a virtuoso baratza grinder set to #27. I use the filtron pitcher to brew for 16 hours in the fridge. I use beans that I've had cold brew from (stumptown, verve, coava) so I can try to get the process down.

The coffee I make tastes a little.... Dark. It's just not quite as fruity or sweet as the others. I've tried adding more or less water to the concentrate for each cup I make and I can't get it there.

Any suggestions?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Geisha from Dark Matter via pourover is really, really good.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What espresso machines are y'all using with these grinders?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Some local dude is selling a gs3 for like 5250 (5850 on eBay to account for fees)

He's used the thing like 18 months as a mobile coffee cart for events. Meaning tons of pulls, questionable water, various employees with differing training, likely no time to backflush when they're shutting down and the machine being moved around a ton. Also he posts a lot of pictures of the MP version, meaning nothing up close of the actual machine.

Feels like it's closer to 3k in value, given than it probably needs 500-600 in tune up and has been used commercially. 4K used seems to be around the price.

I don't think I can offer that low and should probably wait for him to re-list it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dude in Chicago, stop by Dark Matter.

See if they have any Gesha and have them do a pourover. It's fantastic.

Also their cold brew is fantastic.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have a obsessive espresso setup planned but it requires some significant space in the kitchen and saving for the divorce when my wife figures out how much the stuff costs. (The poster with the Lyn Weber grinder, would be very curious how you like it. I was looking at it and the other usual suspects in that range)

This being said, until that’s ready to go I drink drip and aeropress with my encore grinder. Aeropress is a weekend thing and I’m mostly happy with it. Machine is during the week. It’s a Hamilton Beach machine. Is something like the MoccaMaster a worthy upgrade?

I’m not really looking to upgrade my grinder as the next one I want is a single dose espresso grinder but if that’s really the next step for drip and it’s around the price of the Mocca, I’d take recommendations as well.

I like medium / lighter roasts.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks so much!

I’m obsessed with Otomesando / Coffee Mameya so that’s what I want to duplicate. That is perfection in espresso, milk drinks and pour over. Thus, I’ve really been pining for an ek43s but it’s expensive and large. And I’m not going to get a strada (pretty settled on a Decent Espresso Pro machine) so I won’t be duplicating it exactly anyways.

I’m also considering the Monolith flat Max and I will likely try for a preorder because I know I can sell it for a profit if I decide to not go down that road.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 16, 2019

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They’re charging 15k for a gs3. That machine should be 7100.

It’s a bad site.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

they sell it at Whole Foods and it’s gross

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

RichterIX posted:

Do you need to buy pregeound for Turkish? I'm guessing my $100 grinder wouldn't be up to that task if it isn't up to the task of grinding for espresso.

yeah, espresso spergs often buy special burrs to get down to a Turkish grind.

But try it and see, just make enough for a cup and if it’s dirt it’s dirt!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is that really behind a paid membership wall?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If I want to super drink slowly I make an Americano.

I don’t mind stretching out a good shot for a few minutes of course.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can’t fathom giving any sort of poo poo about how someone eats a sandwich or drinks water from a bean

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

silvergoose posted:

If there's any good deals this weekend for a good electric grinder, y'all will post it here right?

https://www.baratza.com/product-category/refurb/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bolind posted:

I have a dedicated 13A 230V circuit for the thing. I'm in Europe. Plumbed water/drain is regrettably not an option.

Budget is very flexible, as long as it's value for money.

This is a bad answer.

Plumbed in water is an option if you want to spend money on a flow jet.

If your budget is flexible go get a used Monolith grinder. It’s the best grinder amongst espresso nerds online and built like a tank. Resells for what you pay. Great value.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’d just stick to what you have that works and spend as little as possible unless you can find a used Lido or some other manual grinder. I don’t have a ton of experience though and I don’t think there’s a right answer?

You doing brewed coffee mostly? Are you happy with what you’re doing currently or why upgrade?

Also check craigslist in your area if someone is selling one. The Baratzas are pretty bulletproof and easy to fix if they do have a problem imo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Got a Moccamaster for Christmas and it’s a great little appliance. I would say coffee is better than the other drip machine we had, super easy to use and stylish. Small footprint, too.

We like lighter roasts and it tasted much closer to pour over than our other machine.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can anyone 3D print me a new top for my moccamaster? I’d like to get the aftermarket head that better distributes the water over the grounds.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Paul Proteus posted:

Is there some place in the US selling that thing?

No, Australia, but I will be there soon.

mystes posted:

Unless you use special food-safe filament, it's probably not a good idea to directly use 3d-printed parts for stuff like this.

It never touches food or water and will be off during operation. It’s just to keep dust out when not in use.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

other people posted:

What is the smallest espresso machine worth owning? Our kitchen counter space is seriously limited and I don't think we should really be sacrificing any of it but maybe if a machine were tiny enough (and pretty enough) my wife might acquiesce...

A lever machine would likely be pretty small.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's been two weeks and hot drat I love my Moccamaster. That things makes perfect drip and is a nice piece of machinery

It’s really great.

Do you stir your grounds for the first cup or so of water, so they’re evenly covered with water?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

nwin posted:

I haven’t been stirring and it’s still been great. I do close the valve for the first two cups though (until the water goes from the ten level to the right level).

Mine, uh, doesn’t have a valve for some reason? So I just leave it closed and dont put the carafe in right away.

I found that when I didn’t stir the grounds would not be evenly distributed. I feared the bloom was pushing them to the side and leaving a lot underextracted?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

marmot25 posted:

Got my new Moccamaster just in time for someone to steal my mail order Verve off my porch (for the send time in a month). I’m not going to inaugurate this thing with my backup trash coffee I bought for quarantine (some beans from TJ’s) so it looks like I’ll just gaze at this thing for the next several days on my kitchen counter. :smith:

lol funny enough I am making TJ’s Columbian beans in my Moccamaster today.

I needed to clean my grinder and afterwards put some lower quality beans through it so I bought a can. It’s surprisingly drinkable. Not nearly as good as the Coava Honduran bag I just finished but it’s not terribly offensive.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s a bit of a silly question to most. It’s below quality and overpriced.

Shop local and regional, there’s no way you’ll exhaust those before having to go to a big brand, and by then you’ll have a taste for how bad Starbucks tends to be.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man, putting a pod in, pulling a lever, and pressing a button is the edge of someone’s skill? That’s a pretty severe burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Try to grab an Encore or Virtuoso refurbished or even used. Virtuoso is in stock for 150. Edit: oops ships to US only.

https://www.baratza.com/shop/refurb

They’re really bulletproof. I don’t mess with Espresso and my setup right now is pretty great with no upgrades needed for a while. My only variable is the new beans I try. Everything else is dialed in.