Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is the Mara X unusually slow to heat up? Modern E61s are pretty quick to get up to temp. My Bianca goes from cold to ready to rock in about 12 minutes, and shorter than that during the summer months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'm waiting for an espresso at a cheap cafe right now and the guy just tapped the basket empty on the inside of the general garbage can. Sweet

The local coffee shop down the street from here does the same thing. I would at least understand if it was a just a big trash can filled with nothing but coffee pucks. I wonder if the basket ever falls out into the bin.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Finally got around to pulling the trigger on a Decent DE1Pro. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun for someone like myself who likes to tinker with variables. I'll also be curious to see how Scott Rao's new Filter 3.0 basket works out. Has anyone here tried Filter 3.0?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Got my Decent today, and it's instantly amazing and also totally overwhelming. I pulled three shots with it and didn't really get a bad one, although I do need to tweak some things tomorrow.

Here's a graph it made of my 2nd shot!

https://visualizer.coffee/shots/98805f5d-21e1-43fe-8191-306dda41d2dd

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I really want to get one of those Filter 3.0 baskets, but they're all out of stock atm.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Spiggy posted:

The Decent is a bit overwhelming at first but you'll probably find a profile or three that fit your beans and stick with em.

Do the newer ones come with the no battery mod on the tablet? I had to get rid of mine recently since the battery was starting to swell up.

I think they just implemented the same fix that Samsung did and solved it with smarter charging.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I got one of these things: https://www.espazzola.ch/en/ for cleaning the group on my new Decent. I really do quite like it, it seems to do a better job than the old Urnex brush I was using before. You lock it in like a portafilter and then waggle it back and forth while the pump's running. It cleans both the shower screen and the gasket simultaneously.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Congrats! The P64 is a great grinder. What burrs did it come with?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Those are the same burrs I have in my P64. If you haven't tried it already, I highly recommend the Extractamundo Dos! profile. It's basically designed for fast extracting burrs like ours and produces really beautiful shots. Just make sure you read the description for instructions on how to dial it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I’m generally down around 1.2 with lighter roasts. Although that’s partly because I’m using cut chemex filters at the bottom of the basket. Those things speed up flow, so I end up grinding finer as a result.

Edit: this is specifically with the fast flowing ExDos profile. With more traditional profiles I’d probably be grinding much finer. I think I was around 0.5 with blooming espresso.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

This was this morning's shot. It has the grinder settings and ratio etc.

https://visualizer.coffee/shots/6f9d2002-a2b4-423a-96c3-458bc342496b

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The paper filter on the bottom makes it flow a lot faster. If you’re not using one of those your shot will flow much more slowly.

Edit: Also, different beans, different flow rate.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 13, 2024

Gunder
May 22, 2003

MetaJew posted:

What is this "profile" and is it something I can do on my Cafelat Robot?

Nah, they're flow/pressure profiles that the Decent can do. You pick one from the menu and it does its thing according to whatever the profile says.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, technically my new DE1Pro can't do anything that my old Bianca couldn't, it's just that the Decent is waaaay more consistent.

Edit: Although, doing the temperature profiling that the Decent does would be real difficult on a machine not designed for it.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 13, 2024

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sounds great! I’m jealous!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

theHUNGERian posted:

If I end up with grounds on the outside of the puck at then end of my espresso puck prep, is that a bad thing? I am brushing them away just before I pull a shot, but I wonder if perhaps I am doing my puck prep wrong because I never see anyone else do this.

E: ... the puck is clean before the prep, so I think the needle gizmo is pushing grounds through the basket.

I don't really understand what any of this means. If you're trying to do a basic WDT needle routine, copy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw3FWEQaJVk

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If you don’t have a paper filter on the bottom of your basket then it’s normal to get some fines falling through the holes in the basket. Just wipe off the underside of the basket if you’re finding escaped coarse grounds clinging to the bottom after WDT.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I have two sets of the 64mm SSP Unimodal burrs in two different grinders. One set had been used for a couple of years, the other pair were unused.

The brand new burrs produced far more muted, flat tasting coffee until I had put a few kilos of beans through them to season them. I don’t know how it works, but it definitely does work pretty noticeably when you can A/B test them side by side like that.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

E61 group head havers, have you had your take apart your lever and lubricate it?

It sounds like it’s meant to be lubricated by coffee oil and shouldn’t require manual lubrication. So I’m wondering does it need manual lubrication from time to time or am I cleaning out machine too much…

My issue is that it’s squeaking when I’m turning it off during my first flush. Usually ok once I’m running a shot though.

Backflushing with chemicals like Cafiza strips the lube off the cam, so you'll need to relube it each time you do that. Use some food safe grease like Molykote 111. Home use shouldn't require a chemical backflush more than once a month, assuming you're doing a water backflush routine at the end of every day. E61 groups tend to use rubber gaskets and those can get degraded by Cafiza over time, meaning you'll have to replace them sooner if you're using detergent too often.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

The gently caress?? My Appartamento manual says to use cleaning solution each week, which I’ve been doing. I use Cafiza too. I would love to scale that right back as it’s a bit of a chore.

The only thing you should be doing weekly is giving your basket and your puck screen a weekly Cafiza bath in any cheap ultra-sonic cleaner. The sort you would use for cleaning jewellery. I think I got mine from Amazon for about £30. I do 2 cycles with a Cafiza solution in the sonic bath, and then drain that and do another 2 cycles with clean water to make sure all the detergent is washed away.

Puck screens: As others have said, cut down on cleaning and can also increase your coffee quality due to better water distribution over the puck. Get one if you don't have one already.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If they have cracked the code on good automated filter coffee then I could see that thing being an attractive prospect. I'd never buy a gen one product from Fellow though, especially not one that complicated. Gen 2 will probably be the one to get.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

I already have a little widdle Porlex Mini that I'm just too shy to bring to work :v:

Don’t do it. Watching someone crank their Porlex Mini in the office was how I got started and 4 years later here I am with a Decent and a Lagom P64. It’s dangerous.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Necronomicon posted:

So here's a question: If I have the money, and the desire for aesthetics and build quality, but not necessarily the ability to discern the level of quality between different types of grinders, is it still worth it to pick up a Niche Zero? I think a good part of my enjoyment of coffee comes from the ritualized behavior of it and not necessarily the actual flavor, but maybe getting a super high quality grinder will allow me to actually taste the difference. I got back into coffee lately since my kid got a little older and it became feasible to spend a little more time making it again (we were just using a Nespresso machine for the first year of his life because that's all we had time for), but quite frankly my palate isn't very developed after like 17 years of being a smoker earlier in life. For reference, I have a Baratza Encore currently.

I imagine the answer is "yes buy it, why the hell not", but maybe there's something else in that price range that's at the same level of quality I should be looking at. I have seen videos of the Niche and the difference in sound alone vs. my Encore is a pretty big motivator to pick it up as well.

There's almost certainly something much better than the Niche Zero that you can pick up. What sort of coffee do you plan to make with it? If it's filter, I'd instead have a look at the Fellow Ode. Cheaper than the Niche and with much better burrs. It just isn't suited for Espresso.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 23, 2024

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Apparently the Timemore 64s is the one to consider in that price range.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Think it's safe to buy the Ode 2? I'm looking at that vs the one with the updated burrs.

Is there enough of a difference to justify the cost (stupid question...)

Let me rephrase, is it a noticeable difference?

Apparently the Ode 2 stock burrs are really close to how the SSP burrs taste. I wouldn't bother spending the extra.

Edit: For filter coffee, I don't think there's a better choice than the gen 2 Ode with stock burrs.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I use a Fellow Carter and appreciate the fact that the coffee tastes at least somewhat similar to what I poured into it. Mugs like the Zojirushi make your coffee taste like nothing because you don't get any sort of aroma through the sippy cup style top. The Carter isn't great for people wanting to drink "on the move" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh right, yeah like I said I'm not interested in anything with a sippy hole or anything. I want to actually unscrew the top and drink it like a mug. The tiny sippy hole lids in my experience are a pain to clean because of all the grooves and moving parts.

Drinking it "on the go" for me means drinking it sitting down on a bus or standing up at the bus stop. Not walking around and drinking it as I move.

I like the kinto because it has the handle but I'm now finding out that the part you drink out of is plastic?

E: I'm the weirdo at work that washes my mug (and the office coffee pots) every day with a brush and soap. Everyone else just rinses their mugs under the water and call it a day.

The Fellow Carter Move or Carter Wide might be for you.