Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I completely agree. The coffee you can brew and drink with only a $20 Target-bought whirly blade grinder will still be leagues better than Folgers pre-ground poo poo. Though, I'd opt for a $15 French press over a drip machine (and it's probably cheaper too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Ed Mungo posted:

I have the cheap-o blade grinder (it was a gift!) and I really don't have a lot of sludge problems with my french press. I will eventually replace it but I'm kinda waiting for it to die first. Does pulsing when you grind accomplish anything as far as keeping the beans from getting too hot? That's what I've been trying to do instead of just leaning on the button til they were done. It at least doesn't get that motor burning smell when I do it that way :v:
Yeah I never really had bad sludge problems when I was using a whirly blade and French press, either. I would pulse, shake the grinder around, pulse, over and over again until it was the right grind. I felt like I got a slightly more consistent grind with fewer fines by grinding this way, though it might not be right for everyone. Of course, you'll still have some fines and the resulting sludge, but it might help a little.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

...and my Baratza Virtuoso seems to be busted for no apparent reason. I tried cleaning, unclogging, disassembling and reassembling the burrs, and nothing gets it to work properly. It grinds, but it just grinds EXTREMELY coarsely (ie: totally unusable) on all settings. It's really frustrating as hell. I JUST got my home roasting operation together, and now don't have a grinder. Gah.

Does anybody have any experience with getting one of these things repaired? Any advice?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

How to Troubleshoot A Grind Quality Issue (PDF)

If that doesn't help, their customer service is excellent.
Thanks. I did use their troubleshooting guides, but was still unable to get the machine to work properly. I guess I'll be dealing directly with Baratza. Such bad timing... I'd just gotten my home roasting underway, too. Welp.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

The Baratza Virtuoso sucks. I had it for maybe a year, during which it wasn't heavily used or abused, and it has already crapped otu. I've been dealing with Baratza support, doing their troubleshooting, and now they want me to take the thing completely apart to diagnose it. I sort of just expected them to say "Just ship it to us, we'll fix it." Nope, they want me to completely disassemble the burr assembly, open the case, do this, that, and the other thing. I'm not a tech. I just want to drink coffee.

So fed up. I might as well buy a Hario manual grinder.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

hotsauce posted:

If they continue insisting that customers transform themselves into burr grinder techs when their warranted product fails, they will never breakthrough to a world class organization.
That is exactly how I felt. Why is the burden on the consumer to fix what is clearly a manufacturing defect/quality control issue?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I've already taken it apart quite a bit, as instructed. I really don't want to remove the case and get into troubleshooting motors and electrical bits for a few reasons. I've no experience in that sort of thing and am afraid I'll irrevocably damage the machine. It's not really because I'm "too lazy" to do it. I've done absolutely all of the troubleshooting they've asked of me up to this point, but I'm not a goddamn engineer.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

nm posted:

You clearly haven't had good coffee yet.
Ethopians in particular seem to have distinct fruit or floral notes. Enough that even before I became a snob, I noticed (and that is why I'm a snob).
You won't taste them in overroasted beans, but a good city roast they come out.
I remember the first time I had good Ethiopian coffee. It kind of blew my mind. I kept thinking "It's coffee, but it kind of tastes a little lemony." It was also one of the first times I drank coffee black and unsweetened, so that helps as well.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

What do you guys expect to pay, per pound, for fresh, locally roasted coffee?
I'm paying almost $20/lb and go through it in about a week. I'm pretty OK with that, and the coffee is excellent, but just trying to figure out if it's on the expensive side, or that's the norm/acceptable.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Thanks El Jebus, Jhet, AnimeIsTrash, i own every Bionicle, Democratic Pirate, and Gunder.
Sounds like ~$20/lb for local, fresh roasted coffee is a pretty good deal. :)
The place that I'm buying from is Southdown Coffee: a very small chain here on Long Island, NY. Everything on their shelves was usually roasted only a few days ago. Really enjoying that freshness.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Gunder posted:

I’m charging my new mug. Already updated the firmware.
You planning on overclocking it? :getin:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

The fiscally conservative part of my brain has, thus far, successfully locked the “you’ll be working from home forever why not spend $1.5k on an espresso machine” brain fold in a basement, but I am looking for a good drip machine. I found I like having a top up cup available right away in the morning instead of having to go through a second brewing process.
I recently purchased the OXO 8-Cup Coffee Maker, and it is great.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Every now and again, I'll get this weird itch to buy a home espresso set up. When that happens, I'll come to this thread and find umpteen cautionary tales as to why I should definitely NOT do that.
Don't get me wrong: I greatly admire those of you who have spent so much time and money pursuing this white whale, but I think it's just not for me at all.

Tippecanoe posted:

Specialty coffee is pretentious, sorry you're just finding out now
Oh yeah, for sure. That said, I do still love this poo poo.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Dren posted:

If it was my post that put you off it, I’ll have you know I’ve had great shots for three days in a row now after doing the dial-in. My problem now is easy access to the machine and wanting to keep drinking delicious espressos until I’ve had far too much caffeine.
Haha, no worries. There's no shortage of espresso machine/technique fussiness (not to mention $ expense) to make me feel intimidated. That said, I'm super stoked for you for getting your set up all squared away! Enjoy the delicious espresso!

Also: I don't remember who posted, but since watching my first James Hoffman video, I've really fallen down a rabbit hole of coffee nerd videos. I just can't stop watching them. Thanks!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Oh noes, just watched a James Hoffman video about reheating coffee and/or keeping it warm.
He actually says something to the effect of "I hate myself for saying this, but I love the Ember." He also does make mention of the firmware updates. :laugh:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What are y'alls favorite japanese iced coffee recipes?
Not sure if this ever got answered, but I pretty much adapted a recipe from Jim Hoffman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApBycDrPo0
I'm using an Oxo 8 cup (40 fl. oz) drip machine: https://www.oxo.com/8-cup-coffee-maker.html
70g med grind coffee
800 mL water in the machine reservoir
400g ice directly in carafe
run brew cycle (this melts MOST of the ice, just stir to melt the rest)
pour into a glass w/ice and enjoy.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Huzzah! My wife gifted me a Hario V60, filters, coffee, and a baseball cap from my favorite local coffee place (Southdown Coffee.)
So begins my descent into pourover madness.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

eke out posted:

it'll be a big ol frustration
The real at-home espresso experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

hypnophant posted:

try this one https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076PFMRGX/
few controls and no brew-through lid but it’s cheap* and certified
Seconding this recommendation. I had the previous model of that one, it made good coffee and lasted me almost 10 years before crapping out earlier this year.
My main issue with it was the lack of brew-through lid, as hypnophant mentioned.