Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm also in the process of moving away from diner coffee. I've made it a point to try the various different styles - espressso, lattes, mochas, etc. but I can never really tell the difference. Or, more precisely, I don't have a good sense of what the qualities of each are supposed to be.

Could one of you coffee gurus maybe write up something about the various different drink styles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

TheFrailNinja posted:

I don't think that was the problem, I think the grind was actually one of the most successful parts of the process. I think it was a combination of the bean being too dark for my taste, and the fact that I went for broke on the coffee : water ratio. I steeped it for 3.5-4 minutes pretty exactly. Another thing I'm wondering is, I measure out exactly 2 cups (16oz) of water in my tea pot, but how much is actually still there by the time it boils? It doesn't look like a whole hell of a lot by the time I pour it. I think that further over-strengthened the brew.

Yikes. I just received a french press and grinder for christmas...am I really supposed to be thinking about it this much? :confused:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Gaph posted:

I skimmed the thread but didn't see any mention 'skimming' for french presses? Brew as usual but before the plunge use two spoons to skim the cake of coffee grounds and foam that collect at the top. Then plunge as usual. Makes a much cleaner cup, dramatically cuts down on the sludge.

http://www.jimseven.com/2008/11/13/french-press-technique/

I just watched that video and they are using what seems to me to be an extremely coarse grind for a french press.

Being new to french press, could someone give me an idea on what the proper grind size is? I've been going much finer than in that clip.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Gaph posted:

I try and grind to about this size. Small, even shards that still retain the structure of the bean. Going further you'd get more of a consistent grittiness. I'm experimenting with a little bit finer grind than what I'd normally do though.

Cool. I started grinding just a pinch finer than this and I think its hitting the sweet spot.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I want to buy a programmable drip coffee maker, but was hoping to find a smaller sized unit - i.e., <= 6 cups. Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

edit: I know they do exist, and I've seen a few on amazon, but they all seem to have crappy reviews for some reason.

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 2, 2014