Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

betterinsodapop posted:

...and my Baratza Virtuoso seems to be busted for no apparent reason. I tried cleaning, unclogging, disassembling and reassembling the burrs, and nothing gets it to work properly. It grinds, but it just grinds EXTREMELY coarsely (ie: totally unusable) on all settings. It's really frustrating as hell. I JUST got my home roasting operation together, and now don't have a grinder. Gah.

Does anybody have any experience with getting one of these things repaired? Any advice?

You should have taken it apart - it's VERY easy to take apart. You almost certainly have a broken/shredded gear (since the burr looked OK) and very likely it's a plastic gear. This model and Maestros usually come with plastic gears (if recently purchased), while the replacement part they sell ($3!) is heavy duty metal and it's very easy to fix (also order the metal post that fits it ($1, and ships in 2-4 days)). It is literally take off the cover, unplug a circuit, disconnect motor, use a pair of pliars to untwist a gear off the assembly. Then hammer the new gear onto the new post (they will fit better) and reassemble. If you have any issues with grind, you can add extra washers/shims in between the gear and burr area. You will need a wrench and a mallet/soft hammer.

In fact I recommend anyone with any of the three lower end Baratza grinders to replace their gear with a metal one - the plastic gear is *miles* cheaper made and will eventually break down.

I had mine break after about a year of use recently after a underdone bean (I roast my own in an air popper) got caught in the burr. The plastic gear shredded and it would do nothing but the loosest grind, and 1-2 beans at a time. It really is very very easy to fix. Easier to fix than a toilet imo (toilets have like two components...).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU