Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
We've had a Clover machine at work, and drat that thing is a beautiful piece of machinery. It also makes a really nice cup of coffee.

However, I've now been led astray from the Clover with the most recent toy that we obtained, The Bunn Trifecta: http://coffeegeek.com/resources/noteworthy/trifecta
Dear god that thing makes an amazing cup of coffee. I've been away from work for nearly a week and I can't wait to get back to that sweet sweet coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Archenteron posted:

Your workplace has a Clover machine and a Trifecta? :drat: Must be either a drat fancy coffeeshop or an office with a coffee-mad CEO.

Definitely the latter. The guy has a Gaggia Accademia outside his office and he actually bought two extra Clover machines just to have the spare parts in case the main one breaks.

While I've certainly been spoiled by expensive machines at the office, I have a Baratza Vario grinder at home and with my Clever dripper and Aeropress combined with awesome fresh Blue Bottle coffee, I can still brew up a really good cup.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

EVG posted:

I'm not looking for a plastic or cheap one (he already has one). I'd like a good quality one for a Christmas present. Problem is they all look the same to me.

Weird that the plastic one performed the best... but he's hard to buy for and requested a ceramic pour-over, so that's what he'll get!

The ceramic Hario V60 that they sell for $20 on Amazon is great. Get that. Also get their gooseneck temp controlled kettle if you don't have it. Awesome pour over combo.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

EVG posted:

Hey I decided to go with the Hario v60 single cup pourover, but having trouble picking a kettle. They seem awfully expensive for the stovetop models but I bet he'd like the gooseneck.

Also he's been sperging a little about temperatures with his new aeropress, so maybe one of the ones that has the temp readout would be good.

Can I get something like that for $50 or less? Extra points if it's not huge, we have a tiny kitchen and storage is at a premium.

Should I just suck it up and get this?
(Bonavita 1-Liter Variable Temperature Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle)
https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40/

Love that kettle; it's amazing. You can also do the cheap electric kettle + thermometer option, but I just suggest bucking up and going for that gooseneck. It's badass.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Great present because you will reap the rewards of tasty coffee.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Get it get it get it. I love mine, and even though I pretty much use it exclusively for coffee, it's been more than worth its money.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah, I've used my Genecafe in the kitchen under the stove hood, but I had to run the hood on high to avoid the smoke detector and that makes it tough to hear first and second crack. Thankfully our weather in SF stays pretty pleasant, so I'm still happily roasting outside.

Finally stopped dicking around with roast profiles and recipes and just went full heat from start to finish (ended right as second crack started). Best batch I've brewed to date by far.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Hollis Brown posted:

I ordered a breville dual boiler yesterday, pretty psyched. I imagine it will work well with my Vario.
Anyone want to recommend any accessories like solid espresso/cappucino cups, knockbox, portafilter, or tamp? Supposedly the PF/tamp that come with the BDB are pretty good though.

Had my BDB for about 1.5 years now. Still really love it.

Tamp: I just use the magnetic one that comes with the machine. I don't find tamping as important as some people and I have no problems with the included one, plus I like the way it stays in the machine.

Knockbox: I bought the Breville one. It's bigger than it looks and is super easy to clean: http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BCB100-Barista-Style-Coffee-Knock/dp/B000MDASE8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417571551&sr=8-2&keywords=knock+box

Portafilter: used the standard one for a year and then finally found the Breville bottomless one. It's $90 but it's fantastic.

Cups: Love the 6oz ones from here: http://www.visionsespresso.com/renaissance/

Pitcher: I use a 12oz pitcher to make a latte for the 6oz cup above. Good one for pouring latte art. http://www.amazon.com/Frothing-Pitc...ds=12oz+pitcher

Gram scale: http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Digital-BL-1KG-BLK/dp/B0012N1NAA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417571928&sr=8-3&keywords=gram+scale

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Hollis Brown posted:

The people at the roaster said they were roasted two days ago, but there's no date on the bag. I'm only getting 2 PSI pressure when I mean "gusher" though. I ordered some red bird espresso that's coming on Monday so I guess I can try that then.

I notice some serious gushing with old beans, so it may be that the roaster was wrong. Try some new beans first and if that doesn't work you may want to tighten your burrs.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

You motherfucker! I also hate money and am totally jealous of your progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

ChickenArise posted:

I have a Contigo and a Zojirushi, and I agree with the above. Neither leaks and both can take a beating, but the Zojirushi will hold temperatures ~forever.

When I had a Zojirushi, I literally brought a disposable cup with me to pour into because I could never drink straight out of the Zoji. Found Contigo strikes a nice balance between retaining most heat for long periods of time with also letting me drink the drat coffee without scalding my mouth.