Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Lord Dekks posted:

Can anyone in the UK recommend/find a cheap burr grinder? Any grinder under £50 here seems to be all stainless steel blade grinders or burr grinders that say they are for coffee but seem more geared towards spice grinding and only have a coarse or fine setting.

Any recommendations?

You could try either this (Delonghi KG79, £40) or this (Cuisinart Professional, £50).

I just ordered this, because it was £20 refurbished and I was convinced (wrongly) that it was a burr grinder rather than a blade grinder. (Attempting to cancel now...)

On a UK note, has anyone any suggestions for mail order coffee in small quantities (I'm the only coffee drinker in my house)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

dhrusis posted:

Coffee guys.. I'm going to be purchasing a few different types of methods to try them out and decide which is best for me. I currently have a french press which I like, but want to go to something without oil (and the cholesterol effects, because I have a problem with that and don't want to futz around with it)..

So I'm looking at the following:

Clever Coffee Dripper
HIC Porcelain / Frieling Cilio Porcelain / Miletta Plastic Ready Set Joe
AeroPress

If I'm going to get a CCD, should I even bother with the other pour over, considering a CCD when placed over a cup is an automatic pour over, right? If there is a significant difference worth me purchasing a dedicated pour over, which would you recommend.. porcelain vs plastic? Seems like the two differences are heat transfer and the BPA impact.

And last but not least... who makes the best #4 filter for the price?

The difference between a CCD (on a cup) and a pour-over cone is the diameter of the coffee-out hole(s) in the bottom. A pour over brewer has two (or more) little holes for the coffee to come out, a CCD has a massive one. Later in the brew this should make no difference (coffee speed through filter is limited by static pressure of water in the filter and the coarseness of the grounds - later on the pressure is lower than when the cone is full). However, when there is a lot of water in the cone this larger hole lets coffee pour out faster due to pressure than the little holes. This will lead to an under-extracted brew (although grind size might be able to accommodate for this - I've never checked).

I have no experience of the AeroPress, but for availability of filters, laziness of prep and deliciousness of coffee I adore my CCD. Which I'm going to go and fill with coffee now, it's brew time again.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

ToG posted:

Whats the best grinder I can get reasonably in the UK. All the brands recommended are prohibitively expensive over here it seems. I quite like the look of the Baratza virtuoso but it seems over the top considering I use a £20 french press 90% of the time

The best 'rated' model on Amazon UK is a twin blade unit.

Edit: Should mention I'm on a budget but not willing to skimp on quality.

I bought a manual Porlex Mini grinder from here for my work grinder. It's under £30, and will be perfectly good for your french press. I wouldn't want to grind for espresso manually, but it's a perfectly awesome little grinder for french press/filter. I took it camping this weekend, and there was a surprising amount of coffee envy for my filter cone and grinder set up.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

ToG posted:

I know I'd be sick of the manual grinder so quickly. I'm a university student and make up a litre of so of coffee for uni every day before my commute starts.

I also drive a coffee non-friendly car so having to grind it every morning would really push me over the edge.

Fair enough. The other cheap alternative is the Delonghi KG79, which is only about £35. I have one of those too, but I prefer the manual at work (because otherwise I'd have to bring in pre-ground coffee, which goes stale super quickly).

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Zettace posted:

If speed and convenience is your thing then use an Aeropress. It literally only takes 2 minutes to make a cup of coffee and takes 5 seconds to clean. Plus it'll taste way better than a k-cup since you'll be using your own grind.

Don't bash the K-cup/nespresso machines. Well, do, but only after you've walked past the demonstrator in whatever store they're being sold in and drunk your third free coffee. Beats Starbucks on taste and price! I wouldn't have gotten through Christmas shopping last year without the lovely young lady trying to sell me one of those machines (by feeding me free coffee) about five times over a couple of shopping trips. Gotta love that sales technique.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Raynor posted:

I have tried coffee a few times in the past but could never get past its bitterness (even when supposedly brewed correctly). This thread peaked my interest and I have tried it again but still that awful taste persists. Is coffee an acquired taste? If so is there anyway to appease the palate into enjoying it sooner?

I don't think it's a particularly hard-to-acquire taste, but then I've been drinking coffee since I was about 15. Back then, I used to drink coffee with lots (2tsp+) of sugar, and plenty of milk - I wouldn't say it was bitter at all. (Now I'm black coffee only, and sugar in coffee tastes like poison to me).

How are you drinking your coffee? (Black/white/latte/cappuccino? French press/pour-over/percolator/espresso? Sugar? Any added syrup/flavourings?) This might help diagnose your problem (and possibly provide some ideas on how to fix it).

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Astronaut Jones posted:

A lot of cold brewers are made out of lab equipment, the one pictured is pretty much exactly like the Hario (or other cold brewers) on the market, only 3 times more expensive.

If you've got any other examples of lab equipment being used to make coffee (that actually works), I'd love to see them. I'd love to build some ridiculous contraption for my study so I can have coffee while I work.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

GrAviTy84 posted:

brb kickstartering a Li-ion rechargeable grinder based on the form factor of a mini mill but with metal and ceramic components.

Has anyone tried attaching a dremel (or a regular drill) to a porlex mini grinder?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

becoming posted:

- How bad are Starbucks beans, really?

Bloody awful. There's a guy in my office brews Starbucks beans in a CCD twice a day, every day. And twice a day, every day, the office stinks of burning. It's just charcoal in the shape of coffee beans, I'm sure (although I think I'd probably change my tune a bit if it were free...). Similarly, if I have Starbucks in the car (gotta have coffee somehow), it still stinks of burnt coffee several hours after I've finished the brew and thrown the cup away - to the point where my non-coffee drinking GF complains if I drink Starbucks almost as much as I do.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Megaspel posted:

Bonus wrench in the pipeline: I'll being moving back to my hometown in a couple months, where I doubt I'll be able to get freshly roasted coffee so easily.

If you're stuck getting hold of good coffee, Has Bean (http://www.hasbean.co.uk/) do mail order coffee in the UK. I've currently got a couple of monthly subscriptions (I drink too little for a weekly sub, and too much for a single monthly one), and it's all been very tasty. Prices are pretty competitive too (I was looking around and couldn't find much cheaper anywhere else, anyway). And the guy that does it also does a little video each week about the subscription coffee they are sending out, which can be informative.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

becoming posted:

You say that, but then you try the Japanese iced method that I posted a few pages back, and then you're like "oh hot drat, we're doin' this".

The Japanese iced coffee method is awesome. I like to put a spoonful/cube of brown sugar in the filter after blooming, so it dissolves in the hot water (I tried putting it in the glass, but it didn't dissolve properly). I don't normally take any sugar or milk in coffee, but I think cold coffee is better slightly sweetened. I've also been known to order a glass of ice and a strong americano so I can make my own when it's too hot for coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

nervana posted:

While we are on the topic can anybody make a few sub-100$ grinder recommendations? I am in Korea without access to Amazon et al. so I will have to stick with the "bigger" manufacturers.

It's pretty big and it's loving loud, but I have the De'Longhi KG79, and I absolutely love that big black box. It probably doesn't grind fine enough for espresso (I've never checked -- no espresso maker, no space for one (and no interest in starting down the espresso road, either)), but it seems to give an even enough grind (french press and pourover come out great, anyway). And it only cost me about £35 (roughly $50) when I bought it. So, thumbs up from me. And since De'Longhi are a subsidiary of Kenwood, you should be able to find one in Korea (with a bit of luck).