Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Any other Toddy fans in here?

The Toddy Cafe posted:

In 1964, as a chemical engineering graduate of Cornell, Todd Simpson developed and patented a cold brew system that, using regular coffee beans, creates a superior-tasting cup of steaming HOT coffee. And, with 67% LESS ACID than coffee made by conventional hot brew methods, it's easier on sensitive stomachs.

The Toddy coffee maker extracts the coffee bean's true delicious flavor and eliminates much of the acidity, producing a bold, super-smooth coffee that can be served one cup at a time.

I currently use the tried-and-true "Toddy Cold Brew System" but my husband saw the new "Filtron" at our local coffee shop and wants it.

http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67

vs:

http://www.filtron.com/

Looks pretty similar, right? The main difference seems to be that the Filtron has an additional paper filter and a plate with holes that diffuses the water stream and distributes it slower and more evenly over the grounds (if I'm understanding it correctly). Might just equate to more parts to deal with, though.

His birthday is coming up so I'll buy it in any case, but just wondering if anyone has tried both and if so, is there actually any discernible difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I asked about this in the recommendations thread, and they advised to post here!

Has anyone has any experience with the Aeropress?

We have a Rancilio Silvia at home and love it, but when we travel it's depressing to be stuck with bad hotel coffee. My husband's birthday is coming up, so I wanted to get him a fun toy to use to make great tasting coffee on the go.

I see in the OP Gravity endorses it (the cons listed aren't a deal breaker for me), so I'm pretty sure I'd like it, unless anyone else has a horror story.

I'm also confused by the pictures and trying to figure out if these are different or the same items, because when you search on Amazon you get different listings - the one listed as the "AeroPress by Aerobie" looks crappy in the pics, the one that says "AeroPress by Aeropress" looks much nicer, but I wonder if they are the same and just different shots/angles.

If they ARE the same I'd like to get the one that comes with the travel case (Aerobie) but don't want to get burned on a knockoff.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...2Ck%3Aaeropress

Thoughts?

See the difference in appearance:

Aerobie:

AeroPress:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

My husband wants a new ceramic pour-over single cup thing. He referred to it as a Melitta. I'm not sure if that's the brand, or the style, or what. Any recommendations?

He has one now that is plastic, but wants a nicer ceramic style. I guess I'm confused because the only Melitta ones I see seem to be the same plastic style he already has.

EVG fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 10, 2012

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I'm not looking for a plastic or cheap one (he already has one). I'd like a good quality one for a Christmas present. Problem is they all look the same to me.

Weird that the plastic one performed the best... but he's hard to buy for and requested a ceramic pour-over, so that's what he'll get!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Have you considered something like a roaster or a bonavita bv1800?

or a temperature sperg kettle?

We have a really nice coffeemaker, vacuum siphon pot, espresso machine, great grinder, aeropress, and toddy maker. He's not interested in roasting. Not sure what you mean by the last?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

I assume he's referring to something like the bonavita variable temperature kettles that can hold water within a degree or two of temperature. It comes in gooseneck, so it'd be good for pourovers as well

Hey I decided to go with the Hario v60 single cup pourover, but having trouble picking a kettle. They seem awfully expensive for the stovetop models but I bet he'd like the gooseneck.

Also he's been sperging a little about temperatures with his new aeropress, so maybe one of the ones that has the temp readout would be good.

Can I get something like that for $50 or less? Extra points if it's not huge, we have a tiny kitchen and storage is at a premium.

Should I just suck it up and get this?
(Bonavita 1-Liter Variable Temperature Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle)
https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40/

EVG fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 13, 2012

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

The Polish Pirate posted:

Love that kettle; it's amazing. You can also do the cheap electric kettle + thermometer option, but I just suggest bucking up and going for that gooseneck. It's badass.

Yeah, I guess so. The gooseneck would be nice for pouring and also it's nicer than watching him microwave water and then stick a thermometer in it. :)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Mandalay posted:

That poor, tortured man.

Yeah, 1st world problems, I know. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Thanks guys! Just need to wrap it now...