Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

hypnophant posted:

No. Minerals are important, both because the water makes up an important component of the flavor and because they aid extraction. If you want to use distilled water, you have to add minerals back in using Third Wave Water packets or a diy solution.

Aha! This might explain why I did not note an improvement when I switched from tap water to distilled water (and ultimately back again) when using my moka pot. I just got a filter and will try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

A Silvia with PID and DF64 are on their way to me. For a basic espresso with light/medium roast beans, is there a youtube video I should be following or will the Silvia's manual be good enough as a start?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bizwank posted:

You should definitely read the manual so you know what not to do to the machine, but it won't tell you how to pull a good shot.

I will certainly read the manual so I don't destroy the machine, but it's the good shot where I was hoping to find a step-by-step tutorial.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cool, thanks!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Miss Silvia has arrived and I have already almost destroyed it, the df64, and my stomach.

Small stupid newbie questions:
- The manual states that I should not use the brush on the shower, however, how do I remove particles from the shower if running water from the group head and flushing with a blind basket to not remove said particles? It looks like coffee grounds.
- While espresso detergent is on its way, am I doing anything wrong by still doing a daily flush with the blind basket?
- Keeping brew time and weight fixed at 30 s and 16 g, I get 32, 31, and 67 mL at grind settings of 10, 11, and 15. Does that point to channeling? I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the pucks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cool, thanks.

The mL values for the liquid in cup were actually mg values. Apologies drunk posting, but I am celebrating. :AmericanCitizenship:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Now that I have a df64 I tried it out with my moka pot (I have been using an Encore until now), and oh man ...

What contraption have I been drinking these last two years??? Bye-bye Encore.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

DF64 newbie here. I adjusted the grind size marker so that the burrs touch at a setting of -5. Not only is there no contact at 50, the machine hums normally when turned on at the setting without beans. I add beans, get a grinding sound, but also a super high pitch sound that does not disappear once the coffee has been ground. Setting the grind size to ~0 and then going back to a larger size resolves this. Is this normal? I didn't see any foreign particles when I inspected the insides.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I'll send a couple of kg of cheap beans through it, as some recommend and reach out to the vendor if the sound remains.

On the plus side, the consistency of the grind looks excellent.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

DF64 newbie here. I adjusted the grind size marker so that the burrs touch at a setting of -5. Not only is there no contact at 50, the machine hums normally when turned on at the setting without beans. I add beans, get a grinding sound, but also a super high pitch sound that does not disappear once the coffee has been ground. Setting the grind size to ~0 and then going back to a larger size resolves this. Is this normal? I didn't see any foreign particles when I inspected the insides.

Sending three cheap bags of beans through it did nothing, so I cleaned it out super thoroughly and it's much quieter now. Perhaps I installed the top part in a nonideal orientation when I first received it and I accidentally fixed it after my thorough clean? Now I just need that stupid bottomless portafilter to arrive.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Espresso noob here.

I have a Silvia with PID, DF64, VST basket, WDT, and a scale. For 20 g in, at a grind setting of 15, I get 56 g out, while a grind setting of 12 only gets me ~5 g out. This seems super sensitive given that I tried to keep everything else the same, but then again I am a noob. What are some obvious things I should be looking at? The machine had 30+ minutes to warm up before the first shot and another 5 minutes between the first and second shot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bizwank posted:

What exactly is the problem you're trying to solve?

I was hoping to get closer to 1:2 without having to do microscopic adjustments to the grind setting.

TengenNewsEditor posted:

The answer is yes, slight changes in grind can make a big difference in extraction and extraction time

Alright, thanks for confirming that this is normal.

hypnophant posted:

I’m assuming, when you say ~56g/5g out, what you mean is 56g/5g out in 30 seconds. The duration is important information. It’s measured from when your pump switches on, including preinfusion (not applicable to silvia.)

otherwise - yeah it’s normal. try 13 and 14, and if neither of those give you good results, try adjusting dose 0.5g. i think temperature also affects flow, and it certainly affects extraction, so that’s another thing to tweak if grind and dose can’t quite get you into the good zone

Yeah, duration was fixed. The PID also has a program (pre-infusion [the Silvia does have it], saturation, extraction [27 s]) for brewing which I did not change between the two shots.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Welcome to espresso! This will be your life going forward.

In all serious, yes that’s exactly how it works. You shoot for the closest you can get to 2:1 or whatever you are going for with grind setting, then make adjustments to dose, etc to get closer to what you want.

I am embracing it all. Coffee is life!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Rancilio Silvia workflow question.

I do
-turn on machine, insert portafilter with basket, wait 30 minutes
-remove portafilter, flow hot water through group head
-puck prep, reinsert portafilter
-pull shot

What is the purpose of leaving the portafilter in the machine? I read that it allows it to go up to the desired temperature, but given its small thermal mass, will it not cool down by the time I am done with puck prep? And if the portafilter warms up without hot water flowing through it, why do I need to flow hot water through the group head? Or are these insignificant details that I should not be worried about?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Outstanding, thanks.

I do have a PID, so I will just simplify my routine to:
-turn on machine, insert portafilter with basket, wait 30 minutes
-remove portafilter
-puck prep, reinsert portafilter
-pull shot

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The internet convinced me to upgrade from the basket that came with my Silvia, so I bought a VST basket. I noticed that water was suddenly leaking around the edge of the basket, but not when I went back to the basket that came with the machine. What baskets do people recommend these days?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I bought a VST Precision Portafilter Insert Basket (20g), ridged, 58 mm, and I add ~20 g (sometimes a bit more than 20 g, but always <21 g) of grounds. The machine did not come with a bottomless portafilter, so I bought a Rancilio Bottomless Portafilter. The original basket works fine with it, so I am assuming the portafilter is not at fault.

Edit: Holding the offending basket lip-to-lip against all other baskets, I cannot see anything wrong with it.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 21, 2023

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry if this is already what you mean but are you looking at the height from the flat on the bottom where it rests on the portafilter to the top of the curved part? Like this:

No, I was (poorly) saying that I see no obvious air gaps between two baskets if I bring the top of one basket into contact with the top of another.

It’s fairly typical (especially if you’re not rocking light roasts) that 20g baskets only actually support 16-18g of coffee.

I'll reduce the dose and see what I get.

Edit: Still leaks when using 15 g. Guess I'm going back to the Rancilio basket for now.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 22, 2023

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Big Taint posted:

The Verve instant coffee packets are actually tolerable.

LIES!

And even the highly-rated Waka and Mount Hagen are poo poo. I found Medaglia D'Oro to be slightly less poo poo, but it was still garbage.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

The issue isn't finding a grinder that can grind fine enough or coarse enough, the issue is the retention means you can never really go between extremes in a way that will give you good results. Even on the ultra-low retention grinders, there's enough retention and it's annoying enough trying to dial back in as you do both that most people don't bother.

I guess this would explain some of the inconsistency I have been seeing with my espresso shots - I use the same grinder for moka pot coffee.

What's a good manual grinder for moka pot coffee?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is it normal for a 1zpresso J-max S to arrive completely jammed? I've removed the silica gizmos and I have turned the dial to a medium setting (only the bottom half of the pyramid is visible), but I cannot turn the crank. Is there a secret lock button that prevents it from turning?

Edit: Never mind. I just had to apply my full body weight to the central shaft to disassemble it. Why the burr was push so far up right out of the factory is beyond me, but let's hope it works well enough for my moka pot.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 22, 2023

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

After a couple of months of using the DF64 v4 I still find it to be way too loud. What are my options if I need a grinder for espresso? I do not mind a manual grinder.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

The j-max is pretty cheap right now if you were going to go manual

And first impressions aside, so far I like mine, but it just arrived yesterday.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I was dialing in some espresso and my first attempt got me no more than 5 drops of liquid (from 16 g of grounds and an extraction time of 27 s). I sampled it, expecting it to be unpalatable, but to my surprise the two drops that reached my tongue tasted as sweet as syrup. Is this normal? Or was my perception of taste off because I only sampled two drops?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sextro posted:

Pretty sure this kinda effect is what all those years of 30g in 10g out ristrettos were chasing back in the 00's. That route can be delicious but I think most people ultimately just found it too wasteful of beans.

Yeah, that makes sense. Even more so with the anaerobic beans I was using. But holy poo poo was it delicious!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

After 6 months of tasting practically everything I produced, I have concluded that I am a ristretto guy. Are there any specialty beans I should be exploring? Or do I just continue exploring everything out there, perhaps leaning toward anything marketed for espresso?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

When doing multiple shots back to back (Rancilio Silvia + PID), is the following workflow ok?
1. Let machine warm up 30+ minutes while portafilter + blind basket is inserted.
2. Grind, remove puck and blind basket from machine, puck prep, insert, pull 1st shot.
3. Remove portafilter, remove basket, insert blind basket, attach to machine.
4. After 5 minutes of enjoying the 1st shot and measuring the beans for the 2nd cup, got to Step 2 and repeat.

If I am using a puck screen, should I run some hot water through the machine right after Step 3 to get residual grounds out of the shower head?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jhet posted:

That should work great. You may want to have a brush to clean grounds out of places too, but that should be plenty of time between shots.

I once did try to brush the shower head, but I saw steam and so I thought the head was too hot and was melting the fine hairs of the brush. Ever since then I brush right before I turn the machine on.

Thanks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Get some tiny kitchen towels.

After removing the portafilter from the group head, run the water for like 1 second, get the towel a little wet, and wipe the shower screen with that. That’ll clear the shower screen pretty good.

Then knock out your puck, and use the dry side of the towel to wipe the basket out. Also wipe the basket out after letting it sit in the group if you get any condensation. You want the basket dry because you don’t want the base of your puck getting wet first.

This workflow is how I’ve seen a lot of fancy NYC espresso bars do things. If your machine is good and your puck prep is good, generally you shouldn’t have tons of wet sloppy grounds on the shower screen or in the basket, and it should be relatively easy to clean with a dry towel.

I have multiple baskets (all the same make and model), so I can put in a new basket without having to clean it. So should the actual basket be warmed up as well or is it sufficient if it's just the portafilter?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Alright, I'll let the basket warm up as well.

The reason I am asking is because I am getting inconsistent results. One shot will yield 19 g, while another will yield 42 g, even though all other parameters are fixed: 17 g of grounds (from the same bag of beans), grind setting (Turin DF64), pre-infusion time and extraction time. The only thing I am changing is the physical basket (same make/model/batch) and puck screen (same make and model).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

For puck prep I use, WDT, another distribution tool, and a spring loaded tamper.

I also stopped using this grinder for my moka pot, and the grind setting has not seen large changes in grind sizes in a long time.

Edit: I use an in-out kind of motion with the WDT. Is it possible that this plugs up some of the holes of the basket? Should I use a different motion?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 23, 2023

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I can’t visualize at all what an in-out WDT method is.

Here is a video on how to use a WDT.

https://youtu.be/xzrs7hj7Sto?si=2S1LgR9mPcl0KdSK

Is the leveler removing coffee from the basket? If it is that’s probably the reason.

Also, while the holes in a basket and puck screen should be consistent, I would not expect that same consistency between different baskets and puck screens.

When it comes to espresso, guaranteed, exact as possible repeatability is what you’re aiming for. You want to use the exact same tools, methods, and techniques for each shot unless you’re aiming to change a specific variable. So doing all these swapouts and poo poo is going to lead to variables. This is why all of these nitpicks tools exist; to ensure all of these little things are exactly the same each time.

Outside of this, I’d guess your issue is down to something you’ve not noticed. Maybe the water isn’t as hot (or is hotter) shot to shot due to back to backs. Maybe something is wet when you put the grounds in. Maybe there’s more grinder retention than you expect.

Alright, I'll start with that WDT method first, and if this persists I'll try using just one basket+screen multiple times, though I don't like the idea of having to clean+dry things between shots.

Edit: And I do measure the beans before and after grinding. The grounds are almost always within 0.2 g of the input.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Changing your WDT technique as above is the right call. I would also stop using the wedge distributor on top of it. They are better than nothing, but they are worse than WDT alone. At the end of WDT your coffee is evenly distributed and fluffed as much as it ever can be.

Temperature of the basket itself is tiny compared to everything else. Are you doing naked portafilter? That'd help you see uneven flow and channels. A couple videos of shots would help diagnose!

How big are the WDT needles?

I changed my WDT technique, but I don't see how I can get the grounds to be as evenly distributed as with the wedge tool, so I kept using it. And yes, naked portafilter from Day one.

Grinder setting: 11.5
Shot 1: 6 g
Shot 2: 5 g

Grinder setting: 13
Shot 1: 31 g
Shot 2: 44 g
Shot 3: 40 g

I assume that at the larger grinder setting, the first shot may have contained some grounds from the previous grinder setting, hence the smaller output? Shots 2 and 3 are close enough in output for me.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If you watch the video above, you’ll see exactly how.

Starting at the base of the basket, make little circles around the whole edge of the basket. Slowly move the WDT upwards until you’re whisking just the top layer of the bed. Do these little circle motions around the outside until you have a flat, even (or close to even) bed.

Are you changing beans/grind setting every day? That’s also going to cause problems.

Agree with above that videos of both shots should help.

Let me play with it a bit more, and if I still get inconsistencies I'll come back with a video. But no, I do not change beans/grind settings daily. But when I do make changes make an attempt to take out backlash. So rather than go from 11.5 to 13, I instead go from 11.5 to 15 and then to 13. I doubt this matters one way or the other.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks again for all the advice folks. I just had 4 shots which gave me 22, 17, 18, and 20 g of output (for 17 g in), much better consistency compared to what I was getting before.

One last question: What is the best way to dry the puck screen between shots? Since the screen has sharp edges, any cloth I have will leave behind a few individual fibers.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I bought a shower screen for my Silvia and it has a pair of small holes at the edge which the original screen does not have. While it fits and shots seem to pull fine, I am wondering what these gizmos are.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If I end up with grounds on the outside of the puck at then end of my espresso puck prep, is that a bad thing? I am brushing them away just before I pull a shot, but I wonder if perhaps I am doing my puck prep wrong because I never see anyone else do this.

E: ... the puck is clean before the prep, so I think the needle gizmo is pushing grounds through the basket.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 23, 2024

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Gunder posted:

I don't really understand what any of this means. If you're trying to do a basic WDT needle routine, copy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw3FWEQaJVk

To my eyes I am doing exactly that. The only difference is that at the end of the prep I see some grounds on the surface the basket was resting on during the prep so I must have pushed some grounds through the basket during my puck prep. In addition, some grounds are still attached to the bottom of the basket, so if any fluid runs though it those grounds will end up in the cup.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Coolio, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I did it! Consistent espresso/ristretto shots!! That don't taste like rear end!!!

Of course the answer was puck prep. Specifically, a filter between the basket and the grounds. Thank you thread!