Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Aussies interested in a cheap vacuum pot - The Bodum "Pebo" is on sale on Catch of the Day for $40 (and about $8 shipping or so). Haven't used the unit myself but pretty keen to give it a go.

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/20826/product/bodum-pebo-stove-1l-vacuum-coffee-maker-21310

They take forever to ship though the last time I ordered through them - I waited ~3 weeks for it to be dispatched.

(Speaking of which, Whalley are you still in Brissy? I'm pretty sure I met you at a goon meet in '08)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

First time trying out a cold drip, turned out really nice. It's winter here at the moment but an iced latte in the morning is amazing.

I'll probably try a larger amount of coffee though next time with a coarser grind - I think the grind was a little too fine and it didn't drip through the aeropress as easy. How coarse should I be aiming for?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Ordered some green beans on a whim a couple days ago and figured I'd try out a little bit of roasting at home. I ordered a rather stylish air popper as well but the beans arrived before the air popper did so I tried roasting it on the stove top.

Started out with just half a cup of green beans in a smallish saucepan so that I could keep the beans mobile - very happy with the result.

Heard the first crack, and then a couple minutes later I pulled it off of the stovetop. There are still dark blemishes on the beans, not sure where this fits on the 'city' scale.

edit: picture makes the roast look a little uneven but up close it's not quite as noticeable

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Kagrenak posted:

A short latte like this is more unambiguously called a cortado, if you ask for a cortado it should always be something very close to this. In my experience, the term macchiato tends to be more vague and can mean anything from a shot with just a tiny bit of steamed milk, to a latte macchiato which is, for me, disgustingly long.

Here in Australia we call them "piccolos" (as in a piccolo latte) if it's equal parts espresso and milk but most coffee shops would understand cortado. Macchiatos down here is usually just a tablespoon of foam on top of the shot.

We also refer to iced lattes as simply "iced coffee." Few workmates of mine went over to the USA and ordered ice coffee and were surprised when they got iced Americanos, but I dunno if that's just a Georgia thing.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

dcgrp posted:

Could somebody explain what's going on in an aeropress that allows for 30 second extraction time vs. clever coffee dripper which tends to require around 4 minutes?

You'd normally have a finer grind for an aeropress than a CCD, which means more surface area and shorter extraction times. The air pressure also contributes to this (kind of like how you can pour a shot of espresso in a very short time)

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Nien posted:

Anybody had any experience with one of these:

https://www.thelittleguy.info/

They ain't cheap, but seem to make real espresso on a stove top.

You can definitely buy a decent espresso machine at that price point which won't require an external heat source and has a pump and manual control over the length of the extraction rather than relying on steam pressure(?)

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

I don't know if this has been posted in the thread already - a goddamn $700 pourover. what the hell

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

I roast maybe half a cup of green beans in a $20 electric popcorn maker, and just do this every few days so that I'll always have a few beans on hand that are 5-10 days old.

If you really wanted to roast a large batch though at once rather than a little often, for $1400 you could get 70 popcorn machinesand run them all at the same time, roasting 8.2L of beans at once.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

foxxtrot posted:

Speaking of, can someone fill me in on this nitro thing and why I'm supposed to care?

Do you like Guiness or Kilkenny? It gives the coffee the same kind of texture/foaminess to it, and a bit of fizz.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

bizwank posted:

And since we're doing show-and-tell, here's a couple boilers that probably could have benefited from more frequent descaling:

(Ascaso Dream)

(Delonghi Magnifica)

Holy dooley, I've had the blinking "descale me daddy" light on my espresso machine for about 6 months now, I'm going to descale my machine right loving this minute

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

White Rock posted:

Hey, i got a sack of coffee beans as a gift and have been trying out roasting using the air popcorn popper method, but i'm unsure about the result. With darker roasts it looks fine, but with light/medium...

Is this kind of color variance normal on light/medium roast?

I roasted 40 grams for 3 minutes with first crack starting at 2 minute mark. Is this an indication of not enough "mixing" of the beans, or inferior beans or just a property of beans in general?

This looks perfectly drinkable to me! If you're concerned about colour variance, you can try roasting a smaller amount + agitating more but to be honest that looks like a nice roast and I'd probably try drinking it first before you start adjusting your roast just yet.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

What roast does this look like to you guys

If i had to hazard a guess i would say roast beans (coffee beans)

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

anyone know where I can get one of these cups

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/912812858731139072

El Disco posted:

For decoration, or do you hate yourself enough to actually use it?

Yes

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 27, 2017

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

throw to first drat IT posted:

OP appears to be six years old and has only half of the images left. Any great coffee technology developments since?

yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Anyone got any experience with these doodads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V8KjF8AYzg

I've wanted a manual/lever espresso machine for *ages* but they're incredibly expensive in australia (europiccola goes for $500AUD for a pre-owned if you're lucky, $900AUD for a brand new + shipping)

These are $220AUD or so brand new but need an external hot water source. I already have a grinder which seems to do an OK job (Breville Dose Control)

I have a (cheaper) espresso machine already (Delonghi Dedica) - would this fake-lever machine pour a better shot than my cheap vibration pump espresso machine?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

You could always remineralise the water and give that a go, I dunno how that compares flavour-wise to tap water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHI7jC0sQZo

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Love Stole the Day posted:

Is Sidamo the same as Supremo? Have been getting into coffee as a tea person by getting a bunch of different kinds of beans, each light roast, and I feel like Sidamo and Supremo are (almost?) the same flavor. The name is similar, too, now that I mention it.... Please tell me I'm crazy.

Supremo is Spanish for "supreme" and Sidamo is a region of Ethiopia

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

I haven't had starbucks in years but from my understanding they generally roast their beans to almost charcoal which means it should have a bit less caffiene in it than a medium or a light roast. Unless you get a different roast there, the only other thing I can think of is maybe if they use a combo of robusta and arabica but I think that's unlikely as well. Maybe you're more likely to have it on an empty stomach than at home?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Postmaster GBS posted:

i don’t mind spending the money on something decent since i literally drink one every day. is nespresso Actually Good or am i better off buying a more ‘premium’ machine?

for a while i’d been crushing death wish valhalla blend with a burr grinder recommended in this thread, along with a french press and doing cold brew over night (i’ve found 1:7 ratio to be the sweet spot for ~10-12 hours, if anyone cares) but it just ain’t doing it for me anymore

If you're after convenience, a superautomatic espresso machine will do better coffee than a nespresso. It'll be more expensive up front but the cost of pre-ground pods will add up over time compared to using whole beans in a superautomatic, so it ends up being cheaper in the long run (not to mention freshly ground coffee, less waste and you can usually tweak temperature/grind settings too if you like)

Since you've already got a grinder - if you're looking for a cheaper option but you still want an espresso-like taste, a moka pot might be up your alley. It's not espresso but the coffee will taste very similar to one, but I reckon in an iced americano the difference between a shot of espresso and moka pot coffee won't be that different.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

There's only one instructional video when it comes to coffee

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

How might one best go about getting that diner coffee taste? Really just however they do yer mass Denny's/ihop/mom n pop stuff? There's something distinct about it that's different than yer standard drip brew. What equipment do they use? I'm sure it's probably bad by most metrics but I don't care and want to try and reproduce it at home.

Real dark roast, think starbucks coffee. Probably overextracted a bit too for extra bitterness. Whenever I'm stateside for GDC I love that bitter brewed coffee they have on the carts in the convention centre with a heap of half-n-half but only because that's rarer here in Aus

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

I always thought drinking a shot of espresso "slowly" meant over the course of 2 minutes or so, not over a whole meal. If you have it with food it's usually before at brekkie or right at the end for dinner. Slurp it, throw a tiny bit at a time all over your tongue and enjoy it, taste it slowly enough to get the whole flavour, have a quick yarn with the barista if you're out (If it's a good cuppa. if not just sip it in like 2 gulps)

and yeah, preheat the cup

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

other people posted:

i give up. what does that thing do?

It's a grinder, but with the crank/handle perpendicular to the burrs rather than directly on top. I think the reasoning was it's easier to grind manually cos it's solid and you're cranking up and down rather than "pushing" against the grinder side to side as you would something like a hario mini mill

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

screaden posted:

So what's the recommended entry level espresso machine these days? I've only done a quick search and it looks I'll be spending around $1,000 AUD. Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silva seem to be the most common

Hell for ~1000AUD you could get a Europiccola, but that's not exactly entry level. Same website has the Gaggia Classic though for 800AUD

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

mystes posted:

Mozzarella? Ricotta? Marscapone?

lactose is water soluble and most (but not all) of it is removed/stays in the liquid with whey when mozzarella is made. I imagine ricotta probably has more lactose in it than mozzarella, but not as much as milk

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

This video for me at least has gone through the same arc as goatse, where at first it's this visceral reaction but when you haven't seen it for a while it's "hello, old friend"

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have an Aeropress emergency! Please tell me if you have any idea.

I'm in cottage and I've tried to brew three times, and each times the filter has failed. Same beans same grinder as home. I fill the cylinder with coffee and just-not-boiling water, insert the plunger, wait. After a while I hear a slurping sound and the cylinder drains rapidly, emptying a sludge of coffee and grounds into the cup.

What's going on? Are these filters failure-prone with certain waters? I'm stumped here.

Is there a hole in the filter paper? if there is, maybe try using two filter papers at the same time. There could be something sharp on the rim of the aeropress where the papers stick

If there's no hole in the filter paper I'm guessing there's something happening with the screw-on seal, is there any damage or debris near the threading that would stop a steal from forming against the paper?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

ded posted:

Whats a good ratio of water/vinegar to clean sediment off a kettle?

If you're descaling a kettle, 50/50 vinegar and water, boil and let it soak for 10-20 mins. I normally use about a tablespoon of citric acid to 1L of water for 10 mins but just cause I have it on hand

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

if I'm having instant I'll usually do cold water or milk first, then add boiling water (though not for flavour but to get it to drinking temperature immediately).

I don't think boiling water is going to affect the instant coffee directly since it's already been brewed and dried, but I think maybe drinking it at 95°c is gonna make it taste different to 80°c or whatever

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Megabound posted:

New Espresso accessories just dropped

incredible

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

did someone say stumptown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

Will preground beans be okay in a freezer or something overnight? I want to prep a cup's worth for when I wake up before other people and don't want to run the grinder (it's a loud rear end grinder)

I can't imagine there would be any (serious) negative impact, at least compared to pre-ground storebought coffee. If it tastes fine to you then it's probably OK. I would recommend making sure it's properly sealed/airtight though, you probably dont want other flavours in the freezer affecting the coffee

Freshly ground is always going to be best of course, but if you give it a try and it works for you then why not.

Alternatively if you've got a large styrofoam or something similar container lying around, you could place it over the top of the grinder to try to contain the sound but that might be a bit much

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Finally got around to making my own water using a couple recipes from online. Maybe it's because brisbane tap water is shithouse but the difference is night and day, even with plain old supermarket lavazza d'oro beans

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

If you've already got a set of scales that do 0.1g (or 0.01), you could try making your own water mixes

I've noticed a difference in taste, but that's just because tap water here is pretty hard

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What product do folks use for cleaning/polishing the chrome on their coffee machines?

I've never used it on a coffee machine but barkeeper's friend works well for cleaning and polishing chrome fixtures in the bathroom

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

404notfound posted:

Another alternative to inverted is to stick the plunger in just a bit to create a vacuum that should hold the brew in. There'll be some drippage in the few seconds it takes to get the plunger in, but not enough to really affect anything in my experience

Wait is this not... the intended way to brew with an aeropress?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

You could always have a backup grinder. What if two people want to grind coffee at once

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Necronomicon posted:

So here's a question: If I have the money, and the desire for aesthetics and build quality, but not necessarily the ability to discern the level of quality between different types of grinders, is it still worth it to pick up a Niche Zero? I think a good part of my enjoyment of coffee comes from the ritualized behavior of it and not necessarily the actual flavor, but maybe getting a super high quality grinder will allow me to actually taste the difference. I got back into coffee lately since my kid got a little older and it became feasible to spend a little more time making it again (we were just using a Nespresso machine for the first year of his life because that's all we had time for), but quite frankly my palate isn't very developed after like 17 years of being a smoker earlier in life. For reference, I have a Baratza Encore currently.

I imagine the answer is "yes buy it, why the hell not", but maybe there's something else in that price range that's at the same level of quality I should be looking at. I have seen videos of the Niche and the difference in sound alone vs. my Encore is a pretty big motivator to pick it up as well.

If you enjoy the ritual part of it, would you consider a good quality hand grinder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Necronomicon posted:

Probably! I had one back in like 2015 because it was cheaper than an electric burr grinder which I couldn’t afford at the time, but I remember it taking quite a long while to make enough for an Aeropress cup. What kind of features differentiate hand grinders from each other? What’s the general price range on them?

down here in Australia I picked up a 1zpresso X-Pro for 180AUD (~120USD) last year and I use it almost exclusively for espresso, with the occasional aeropress or french press with it. For me it's about under a minute to grind 16g of espresso

I've had a cheaper hand grinder before which was 'okay' but it gets annoying having to adjust the tiny knob on the bottom (same) to change the grind size on my old one. The newer one has a much easier grind size adjustment on the top. I think the length of the handle was shorter too which made grinding finer more difficult since you have less leverage

I have an electric grinder as well (Breville Dose Control Pro) but for espresso it doesn't have as fine a range of adjustment as the 1zpresso does, and the fine adjustment on the electric one involves removing the top burr from the hopper

I dunno much about the other brand hand grinders but the 1zpresso ones usually have different size burrs and different adjustment ranges per click (12.5 microns on the x-pro)