Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been experimenting with hop extract added to tea, adding some bitterness and complexity. Are there any teas with more of a beer-like flavor that might scratch this itch too?

I've heard of some Assams and Keemuns being referred to as malty, but it's more malt adjacent. They would stand up to the hop extract pretty well as they can be big bold teas. Could always try it with some smokey lapsang souchong for an interesting option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Would boricha (barley tea) do the job?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been experimenting with hop extract added to tea, adding some bitterness and complexity. Are there any teas with more of a beer-like flavor that might scratch this itch too?

Stuporstar posted:

Would boricha (barley tea) do the job?

Along with barley tea, I'd recommend roasted corn tea. I never liked barley tea, but corn tea just has this amazing malty popcorn flavor that really takes well to a bit of sugar. It ends up almost tasting like you're drinking a cup of liquid kettle corn.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The extract goes well with barley tea and buckwheat tea. I'll have to try the roasted corn tea too.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I suspect genmaicha might work too

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Do y'all have a rec on a specific corn tea to try? I got a packet of it in a Bokksu shipment once and wasn't very wowed. Disappointing because I thought I'd love the stuff.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

e: drining some puerh

its good

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ulvir posted:

e: drining some puerh

its good

I found a 2008 ripe bulang puerh in one of my drawers that I forgot about, saving that for the fall weather. It's gonna be 86F today so uh I guess I'll finish off my stash of lishan oolong

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

It’s Puerh day friends. I finally have a tea pet and I see the light now. But not through this Puerh, this is a cup of liquid night.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Hey guys. Weird question. My girl doesn’t really like tea but she likes those canned iced green tea drinks. I know it’s mostly sugar and what not, but I was trying to figure out what type of green tea would make the closest flavour profile.

I’ve thought that a sencha would make a delicious iced, but not sure. Looking for any advice.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

virinvictus posted:

Hey guys. Weird question. My girl doesn’t really like tea but she likes those canned iced green tea drinks. I know it’s mostly sugar and what not, but I was trying to figure out what type of green tea would make the closest flavour profile.

I’ve thought that a sencha would make a delicious iced, but not sure. Looking for any advice.

It depends on the brand but lots of them seem to be oolong based. Iced oolong is great anyway so no harm in trying!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I haven't seen the name Palais des Thés pop up in this thread. Does anyone have any experience with them? I was looking at their website through my job's perks system and they have a bunch of interesting teas, as well as a tea sommelier set.

gamingCaffeinator fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 4, 2023

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

as far as a big western chain go, they are pretty decent. in a pinch, I have bought green tea or oolongs from them on several occasions.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

ulvir posted:

as far as a big western chain go, they are pretty decent. in a pinch, I have bought green tea or oolongs from them on several occasions.

I was looking at one of their herbal blends of lime flowers, chamomile and orange blossom and thought that it looked pretty good! I might have to try them.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I was looking at one of their herbal blends of lime flowers, chamomile and orange blossom and thought that it looked pretty good! I might have to try them.

Report back if you do! That does sound pretty good.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

effika posted:

Report back if you do! That does sound pretty good.

I ordered some. It'll be here in a few days, and I'll give a review when I get the chance to taste it.

I've missed the original Peach Tranquility from Teavana. The Starbucks formulation gives me hives :sigh: but nothing else has quite hit the sweet spot for fruit/chamomile mixtures.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Trip report: l'Herboriste No. 74 from Palais des Thes is lovely. I didn't detect any orange/lime flower flavors, but the chamomile is warm and sweet and really good. It's a nice late-evening wind down cup.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm trying to get the wife into drinking tea a bit. She's an ardent coffee drinker, but every once in a while she'll indulge a chai tea. The issue is that when I ask her what sorts of flavors she likes or wants to try in a tea, she's got no idea, and won't even pretend to entertain the question. Does anyone have any particular teas that they've seen coffee drinkers enjoy? Or maybe know someone they can ask, or something?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm trying to get the wife into drinking tea a bit. She's an ardent coffee drinker, but every once in a while she'll indulge a chai tea. The issue is that when I ask her what sorts of flavors she likes or wants to try in a tea, she's got no idea, and won't even pretend to entertain the question. Does anyone have any particular teas that they've seen coffee drinkers enjoy? Or maybe know someone they can ask, or something?

I switched to tea from coffee by finding teas with similar flavors (e.g. chocolate notes) and then brewing the tea triple strength. I used to drink my coffee black, and had enjoyed green tea for many years before that, though, so your mileage may vary.

The Colombian Bold Breakfast Blend Organic from Upton feels a little bit like something a coffee drinker might enjoy, and is my regulation rotation. Old South Meeting House breakfast blend from Upton is another I keep in rotation.

Hmm, maybe the boldness of breakfast blends is the key, there.

And when I could have coffee, I enjoyed the freshness of green teas in contrast. Sencha is pretty easy to get in to, though I always enjoyed China greens like bi luo chun a little more.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dark ripe Puerhs, including ones with actual cacao in them, and I've found adding a splash of vanilla soy milk to give it a little bit of that cafe au lait creamy sweetness is a good avenue.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Seconding dark ripe puer.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Puerhs are great, though I never quite got into them. Good to try for sure.

Thought of another suggestion: Christmas teas. If she likes chai, these may be a gateway. They're not as heavily spiced but are very pleasant to drink for most people.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
There's also roasted yerba mate, I have this and I love it with a bit of milk or cream, tastes very cocoa-y

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

could try smoked or roasted tea as well. lapsang souchong, or hojicha.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
imo you'd be better off not trying to get her to approach tea as a subsitute for coffee. the previous advice is certainly still good for finding things that shes likely to enjoy, but I'd also try to not put it in opposition to the thing that she does like. If she's stapled to her morning coffee, tea is great later in the day, in the evenings even for something warm to drink.

What flavours does she like that aren't coffee?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

neongrey posted:

imo you'd be better off not trying to get her to approach tea as a subsitute for coffee. the previous advice is certainly still good for finding things that shes likely to enjoy, but I'd also try to not put it in opposition to the thing that she does like. If she's stapled to her morning coffee, tea is great later in the day, in the evenings even for something warm to drink.

What flavours does she like that aren't coffee?

Oh, I'm not trying to get her to switch to tea instead of coffee. Sorry if my post read like that. Usually I'll relax on the weekends by playing a really chill game while I enjoy a gongfu style session of some nice loose leaf tea. The wife's not a gamer, so I figured maybe I'd see if I could find a tea she would enjoy so that we could sit down and do something else together while we shared some good tea for a few hours.

Heath posted:

Dark ripe Puerhs, including ones with actual cacao in them, and I've found adding a splash of vanilla soy milk to give it a little bit of that cafe au lait creamy sweetness is a good avenue.

Unfortunately, I still haven't really gotten into puerhs. Do you have any recommendations?

effika posted:

Puerhs are great, though I never quite got into them. Good to try for sure.

Thought of another suggestion: Christmas teas. If she likes chai, these may be a gateway. They're not as heavily spiced but are very pleasant to drink for most people.

That.... might work. I have a couple leads on that kinda tea I can look at. I do need to order more for the holidays.

poronty posted:

There's also roasted yerba mate, I have this and I love it with a bit of milk or cream, tastes very cocoa-y

ulvir posted:

could try smoked or roasted tea as well. lapsang souchong, or hojicha.

Unfortunately, I know both those ideas will not fly. She's not a fan of smoky flavors in her drinks, and I have yerba here that I've tried to roast and have her taste, and she wouldn't even consider it.

Honestly, she's really weird about stuff like this, to the point that I've been thinking lately that she's purposefully avoiding any activity that we could possibly do together. It's pretty disheartening. I'll certainly give it another try though, if for nothing else than the fact that at least I'll get some good tea out of it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Coffee drinkers are usually weird about tea, I find. Even though "serious" coffee people and "serious" tea people tend to engage in a lot of the same habits and affectations regarding their drink of choice, it's hard to get a lot of crossover.

That said, to answer your other question, I would recommend a tuocha. I'm also a big fan of this Puerh and cacao blend when mixed with a splash of vanilla soy milk.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Laoshan black or green smells like straight up vanilla heavy chocolate. Not sure this will help with your marital problems but maybe it's a start.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Waffles from White2Tea is an easy daily drinker for this situation. Any situation.

Duquoc
Jul 3, 2023
Seconding Waffles from White2Tea. I'm a primary coffee drinker myself, and Waffles is what got me into trying teas out as well.

For me the biggest difference between tea and coffee is the body. Most teas simply lack the body of coffee which leads to them being comparatively unsatisfying for me. Pu'er tea is the notable exception. Specifically ripe, but raw pu'er is nice too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Duquoc posted:

Most teas simply lack the body of coffee

Hence my "brew at triple strength" hack

And don't be completely discouraged, neogeo. If my husband (or a friend) tries too hard to get me into something my paranoid brain automatically assumes it is not in my best interest and nothing will get me to try whatever it is with enthusiasm. Sometimes I realize what is happening and sometimes I don't! But good luck.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Have you ever tried gongfu brewing? You can get a lot more mileage out of a lot less tea without having to just brew it stronger.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Duquoc posted:

Seconding Waffles from White2Tea. I'm a primary coffee drinker myself, and Waffles is what got me into trying teas out as well.

For me the biggest difference between tea and coffee is the body. Most teas simply lack the body of coffee which leads to them being comparatively unsatisfying for me. Pu'er tea is the notable exception. Specifically ripe, but raw pu'er is nice too.

What do you think of yancha/rock teas? I had a rou gui recently that had such a nice, hearty body to it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Heath posted:

Have you ever tried gongfu brewing? You can get a lot more mileage out of a lot less tea without having to just brew it stronger.

I have, and it's nice when I have time! I am the awful person who replaced my pre-work coffee with tea and my brain does not do gongfu on weekday mornings. The closer I keep it to my old coffee habits the easier when I wake up. (I was not a coffee snob.)

Duquoc
Jul 3, 2023

hope and vaseline posted:

What do you think of yancha/rock teas? I had a rou gui recently that had such a nice, hearty body to it.

I think I've ever had a rock tea. I think this may be the first time I've ever heard of the phrase. Have you got any specific recommendations that I should try?

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

I'll be in Tokyo for about 8 days - any recommendations or spots to look out for?

thanks!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Duquoc posted:

I think I've ever had a rock tea. I think this may be the first time I've ever heard of the phrase. Have you got any specific recommendations that I should try?

They're teas grown in the Wuyi mountain region in China. Usually processed as oolongs or black. Probably the most famous ones are big red robe/da hong pao (real DHP is hella hard to find an expensive, the mass market stuff is a mix of different wuyi teas usually) and lapsang souchong (of which there are usually two kinds of processing, western style which is crazy smoky, it's like campfire tea, and traditional which is lighter on the smoke).

This article goes into a lot more detail https://teadb.org/wuyi-oolong-compendium/.

Yunnan Sourcing has some really affordable ones, I'd recommend trying a bunch of samples.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 10, 2023

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
A favorite tea is now undrinkable because of tannins. I just got so sick. Is there a way to cut this without milk and still get good flavor? I'm lactose intolerant and I'm open to trying a small amount of milk if it won't make me ill.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Eating something with a little fat and carbs along with it always helps me (usually some buttered toast or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Agrinja posted:

A favorite tea is now undrinkable because of tannins. I just got so sick. Is there a way to cut this without milk and still get good flavor? I'm lactose intolerant and I'm open to trying a small amount of milk if it won't make me ill.

You can always try a non-dairy milk to see if you like it. Not almond milk-- that's too thin generally-- but maybe oat might work.

I do love a nice Earl Grey latte, so you can definitely get good flavor.

Seconding the "no tea on an empty stomach" advice-- assuming it's not something like tannins giving you a migraine.