Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Agrinja posted:

A favorite tea is now undrinkable because of tannins. I just got so sick. Is there a way to cut this without milk and still get good flavor? I'm lactose intolerant and I'm open to trying a small amount of milk if it won't make me ill.
Not exactly a huge tea person bc of my GI problems with tannins, but I tend to use more leaf with a shorter steep and slightly lower temp. Also giving the first two cups of a gongfu steeping to someone else helps a lot, as the tannins seem to be extra prominent in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
This is great. Thank you all, going to experiment and retry.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You could try goats milk. It's much easier on the gut.

It tastes a bit weird the first time, but after that it just tastes like milk, and it's cows milk which tastes weird.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Nettle Soup posted:

You could try goats milk. It's much easier on the gut.

It tastes a bit weird the first time, but after that it just tastes like milk, and it's cows milk which tastes weird.

I'm interested but where would I look for such a thing? I'm going to google, I've never actually seen it for sale.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I use lactose free milk. I dunno if it’s readily on sale where you’re at, but it’s gotten a lot more common

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Agrinja posted:

I'm interested but where would I look for such a thing? I'm going to google, I've never actually seen it for sale.

In the UK it's just in the dairy section next to the regular milk, at least at bigger supermarkets.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Oh yeah if you have A2 milk available sometimes that is easier- some people have more issues with one kind of the beta casein protein (A1) and mistakenly attribute it to lactose.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Huh. Had no idea. I'm trying lactose free milk tonight, the others weren't available. Thanks y'all so much.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

effika posted:

Oh yeah if you have A2 milk available sometimes that is easier- some people have more issues with one kind of the beta casein protein (A1) and mistakenly attribute it to lactose.

What, this is a thing? I've got the issue with the beta casein, which we only figured out because I was still reacting to lactose free stuff.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

What, this is a thing? I've got the issue with the beta casein, which we only figured out because I was still reacting to lactose free stuff.

Yeah, we have competing local dairies who are bragging about their herd compositions! I guess living in the Midwest has its plusses sometimes.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Reading this and making :chloe: faces:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/pg-tips-tea-60-seconds-b2411220.html

quote:

Tea enthusiasts are up in arms about a new teabag in the works from PG Tips, which promises to brew in just 60 seconds.

But! I can't even blame them for making a quick-brew version of their trash tea when:

quote:

In its research, the PG Tips found that 85 per cent of tea drinkers leave the bag in to brew for under a minute, while a staggering 45 per cent bin their teabag after less than 30 seconds.

Come on

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Trabant posted:

quote:

In its research, the PG Tips found that 85 per cent of tea drinkers leave the bag in to brew for under a minute, while a staggering 45 per cent bin their teabag after less than 30 seconds.

Come on

It's not tea, it's hot leaf water!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It's PG Tips, it's better to just throw it in the trash and drink the water.

PG Tips is around D tier bagged tea for me. Right down there by Lipton. Lipton's saving grace is that it makes okay iced tea that's cheap.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I mean, it's fine? You stir the bag then put it in the next cup for the other person you're making for,repeat until you have tea for everyone!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
They're just gongfu brewing!

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
That's so cursed. How do people do that? My mom would just leave the bag in eternally and that's its own problem.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

In the US if you order tea at a coffee joint you're likely to get a tea bag in a cup with no way to dispose of the bag. Pretty annoying

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I went on a first date with someone who took a whole thing of tea and ate it in front of me and I was like “well okay then”

They opened conversation afterwards with “so I went to college for economics and I think there should be poor people”

And I was like “so about this tea”

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Was the tea good

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

aldantefax posted:

I went on a first date with someone who took a whole thing of tea and ate it in front of me and I was like “well okay then”

They opened conversation afterwards with “so I went to college for economics and I think there should be poor people”

And I was like “so about this tea”

:dogstare:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What is a thing of tea, and how can one eat it? A teabag? A cake of pu-erh?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Mr. Squishy posted:

What is a thing of tea, and how can one eat it? A teabag? A cake of pu-erh?

It was a minute bing cha that was a gift from the tea shop. I think my companion was, uh, thinking it was chocolate.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

aldantefax posted:

It was a minute bing cha that was a gift from the tea shop. I think my companion was, uh, thinking it was chocolate.

:allears:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got an advent calendar of Kusmi tea from my wife and while “almond rooibos” is not something I am really excited about tasting it’s nice to have a wide selection of stuff to try.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

aldantefax posted:

Not gonna lie, you had me on the edge of my seat in anticipation. Like, I was expecting this person to have eaten a clump of just dry loose tea leaves as an opening power move. That it was a tiny bing is still amazing.

Anyway, now that I've got that answer, I've got a question of my own for the thread:

I'm kinda toying with the idea of trying to open up a casual tea shop. My town only has like 1, and it's basically a British-style shop that is geared towards grandmas. When I say "British-style", I'm talking like, black teas only, tons of flavored blends, lots of English sounding names, literally zero oolong/puerh/etc, and all decorated with stuff you'd find in your wannabe-trendy grandma's house. I wanna open a place that's kinda like an eclectic coffee shop, but for tea, catering to all styles and methods of tea. I want a place where people can go and hang out and try different brews, brew methods, and just be cozy and drink something tasty.

So, given that, if you guys were to wander into a shop like that, what sort of stuff would you like to see and experience in it? Anything and everything, from decor to how the tea menu would be presented and the various teas described to whatever else you can think of.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

At our shop we had very minimal style tables and chairs, some tapestries, local art on the walls rotating monthly, books about tea, local baked goods. We had friendship nights, poetry readings, etc. mostly a space for creatives and the community to gather. If you tea, people will come. I firmly believe in reflecting the community you are in, the beauty of tea is that there is something for everyone. A lot of our thing was explaining teas to people - knowledgeable staff and a diverse but easy to read menu. You’re doing a lot of translation for people vs black British tea, but that’s the fun of it.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
It would be nice to have a good selection of chinese offerings

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gonna admit, I thought I'd get more posts here about this than in the discord, but it went the other way around.

JNCO BILOBA posted:

At our shop we had very minimal style tables and chairs, some tapestries, local art on the walls rotating monthly, books about tea, local baked goods. We had friendship nights, poetry readings, etc. mostly a space for creatives and the community to gather. If you tea, people will come. I firmly believe in reflecting the community you are in, the beauty of tea is that there is something for everyone. A lot of our thing was explaining teas to people - knowledgeable staff and a diverse but easy to read menu. You’re doing a lot of translation for people vs black British tea, but that’s the fun of it.

This is very close to what I want to do, yeah. I want a space where people can grab a quick cup of something delicious, or spend some time hanging out and having a long gongfu-style session with friends, or just sit down in a warm corner and get some remote work done. I want a space that can easily host small gatherings and events for the community, to be a safe space for anyone who needs to shut out the world for a bit to clear their head. My town's got a few different colleges, a bunch of different meetup and friendship groups, and a complete over-saturation of coffee shops, with the only tea representation being a tea shop for grannies, and bubble tea cafes. Nothing's wrong with all of that, but I feel there's a niche in the market that could use a bit more representation.

Agrinja posted:

It would be nice to have a good selection of chinese offerings

Selection-wise, I hadn't really thought about it yet when I had posted the question. Ideally, if space and money weren't a concern, I'd definitely want to have varieties that are representative of as many cultures and styles of tea as possible. Everything from all of the various myriad regions and mountains of Asia to Indian teas, rooibos from Africa, yerba mate from South America, and yaupon from North America, and etc etc etc. In practice I'll probably have to do a probably-seasons-based rotating menu of options, with some year-round staples and "classics" that everyone enjoys. Either way, I'd still try to have a selection that's from as wide a swath of the world as possible.

One idea that I like that was brought up to me was having a big map with all the current teas in selection pinned on the map, to show where they came from.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I would encourage there to be some self-guided and also staff-guided ways to explore tea in greater detail. I cut my teeth on learning how to pour with a gaiwan mostly with friends at a tea shop who showed me the basic technique over a decade and a half ago in Berkeley (RIP Imperial Tea Court to that location - the other one at the Ferry Building still exists). Having someone hover over and ask if you need assistance is not my thing, but I am a fan of helping to guide people in different accessible ways to enjoy tea.

One of the observations I had when I went to Seattle was "we are a business run by white folks who are interested and passionate about running a tea shop but we don't want to break too much into Chinese and Japanese teas for fear of cultural appropriation, but we are interested, we just don't quite know how to be respectful about it". I reflected and wrote an unpublished article about the concept, but the consideration of the cultural heritage and diaspora of tea throughout the world I would say should be reflected even for casual drinkers. If a tea was sourced from China or India, as an example, a localized name in addition to the original name of the type of tea would be welcome. This is third wave coffee brain mode where I'm interested in the background in addition to the quality of the drink.

I also believe that the tea experience (just like any other drink) is greatly enhanced by more natural-oriented set and setting, so combining natural elements in the art and decor (lots of plants!) can help with the chill vibes you're maybe going for. An outdoor area and lots of natural lighting would be great in terms of location selection, drinking tea outside when the weather's good in a garden is one of my favorite pasttimes.

Also postscript to the tea story, I did not end up continuing to date the gal who ate an entire mini bing dry on the first date. Months later, she sent me a link to her "pay me money for things" website out of the blue, which I ignored.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In the US if you order tea at a coffee joint you're likely to get a tea bag in a cup with no way to dispose of the bag. Pretty annoying

That was the way I first had ripe puerh. I went into a tea shop, they tossed a bag into a large cup, and I drove to my parking spot 15 minutes or so away.

Thank goodness it was ripe, because it turned out strong, but not bitter in the least.

(I then got several more brews out of the leaves in that bag)

I have recently been enjoying my first lapsang souchong and its a new favourite. I expected it to taste like an ash tray but it is actually really sweet and delicious!

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
My girlfriend and a lot of the people I grew up around (Native) grew up on the rez. That means a lot of them grew up with nothing more than yellow label or red rose. What types of teas should I buy to try and open their eyes to the world of tea?

Cuz it's a struggle to get her to try anything but red rose. I was able to talk her into yorkshire gold and it was a struggle.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

virinvictus posted:

My girlfriend and a lot of the people I grew up around (Native) grew up on the rez. That means a lot of them grew up with nothing more than yellow label or red rose. What types of teas should I buy to try and open their eyes to the world of tea?

Cuz it's a struggle to get her to try anything but red rose. I was able to talk her into yorkshire gold and it was a struggle.

What do you have reasonable access to? There are good teas at most every price point from most every preparation method, with or without sweetener, etc.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

aldantefax posted:

What do you have reasonable access to? There are good teas at most every price point from most every preparation method, with or without sweetener, etc.

we live in northern ontario. around here, we don't have tea shops, but I have access to these guys for a pretty decent price: https://camellia-sinensis.com/en

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

virinvictus posted:

we live in northern ontario. around here, we don't have tea shops, but I have access to these guys for a pretty decent price: https://camellia-sinensis.com/en

Almost anything you get from there will probably be a good move. If you'd like to introduce someone to tea and the variety of flavors it has to offer, I would go with a sampler box to start since it offers a wide variety of teas with enough quantities to try using with an infuser basket and a regular mug. You can resteep most of the ones in their beginner's 5-pack.

If you were interested to dive into teas that are both economical and tend to have more longevity and resteeps then I would recommend and prefer whole leaf teas from China and Taiwan. An oolong (roasted or not) or a black tea (hongcha/red tea in Chinese parlance) is a good starting point, but most every tea at least has a few resteeps. Japanese teas will trend towards being very strict with water temperature and not a lot of resteeps.

A large amount of these teas will likely be counterfeit - which is fine. Da hong pao, for example, is quite a special tea but counterfeited to all hell - same as longjing (dragonwell). They are likely okay teas in their own right but not from the true product of origin at the price point (people who import either don't know any better or don't care when selling in high quantity commodity teas, the name sounds good enough).

This is personal preference (many others enjoy these teas) - I would consider staying away from teas that have additives (fruits, flower petals etc). They may impart some additional flavor to the tea which is good for about one steep, and can be more of a pain to store.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Some of my favorite Chinese tea is knock off Da Hong Pao. Apparently Wuyi Yancha as a catergory doesn't have enough market clout? How many generations from the original plants counts as authentic anyway, its still roughly the same tea. It is a genetic descendant of those famous bushes after all.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
something like 85% of japanese tea is yabukita cultivar, which is going to be exact genetic clones because japanese tea is almost always planted from cuttings, not seeds. but a fukamushi from kagoshima still tastes nothing like shizuoka mountain tea, clonal or not.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Wuyi teas tend to be more minerally in nature compared to others based on the soil they grow in but it is a pretty well respected region, a lot of my favorite teas come from there. As well, the considerations for tea are not exclusively in the cultivar but also in the harvest and finishing process, not to mention the storage, preparation, water quality, environment, and variables of the person drinking the tea all have an impact on the flavor and can be adjusted (maybe try adjusting the person only if they are okay with it, though, that can be a gray area...)

Da Hong Pao has competitions where it is pretty stringently graded and influences the prices at market heavily as the judging changes from year to year. I'm not sure which market you might be referencing where the clout is lacking, but most tea that originates from China tend to be unknown and highly counterfeited as export to international markets.

At the end of the day when it comes to authenticity there are not many regulatory controls to stop counterfeit teas from saturating the market at cheaper price points. For something like Dragonwell there is a protected product of origin and QR codes that are furnished by the government regulatory agencies in order to track where those packages came from - in domestic trade. For international trade it is very often ignored, repackaged, or nonexistent, even if the taste is good and comes from somewhere else.

There are also sub-categories of oolong teas from China which require cultivars to be grown in a specific region for a specific period of time before being recognized as its own specific tea (Phoenix oolongs that are named after fragrances are what comes to mind most here), and theft of the seedlings is not unheard of. This is also how some oolongs get their name like Duck poo poo, which was a code name designed to deter people from outside the harvesting region from seeking it out because it tastes pretty good. Many of the classic floral oolongs (with no additives - they are called such based on the qualities of that cultivar) have been worked on for multiple generations.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Mostly my point is that there I've had a lot of very good Wuyi Yancha, that was grown in Wuyi, processed correctly, stored correctly etc, that isn't authentic DHP but still feels the need to be labeled as such anyway. I don' t know enough about the Chinese tea market to understand why these very good quality teas in their own right still have to misrepresent their origins, often in very transparent ways.

This is a decent example: https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dyke-Classic-Fujian-Oolong/dp/B07QQQXKJN

This isn't DHP, at all. Its a decent quality, reasonably priced (sometimes), yancha. Yet still the makers go through the trouble of misrepresenting the tea in ways that are very obvious to anyone that actually knows what DHP is, and for people who don't know what DHP is it's just a name and not a selling point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I imagine because the demand for DHP is just that much. Asian supermarket teas always have those dirt cheap 'DHP' in those tall cannisters like you linked.