Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I live by a Teavana and pretty regularly get my herbal-based teas there but I don't even know how you managed to buy $150 worth of tea for a single person. How many ounces did you buy? :psyduck: I hope you have airtight containers for them or they're going to lose potency right quick. The tea prices there are okay for being fancy blended ones and all, but all of their accessories are massively overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Every bubble tea place around me is a glorified smoothie with tapioca in it and has little to nothing to do with tea. And I live in the Chicago suburbs.

That's not to say I don't love the stuff like a fat kid loves candy, but actual "tea"? Nope. There's usually a few that involve tea but they're always iced - at least in my experience.

http://www.joyyee.com/drinklist-Chinatown.shtml

General best bubble tea in the Chicagoland area, however, can be found at Joy Yee's. Check the website for locations near you, etc. etc. as they have more than a few and I'm not sure which side of Chicago you're on. Food is okay, but their freezes are the main attraction. They also use Blendtecs!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

aldantefax posted:

Not saying that you're wrong, since there's a lot of people that gently caress around with the formula and you end up removing the tea entirely! I'm just saying that's the traditional base that you'd mix your powder/syrups and milk into. The "bubble" part of bubble tea doesn't come from tapioca pearls, it used to refer to the foam you get from stirring/shaking the tea with the pearls as part of the final mixing step!

Depends on the place, though. I know TeaWay (which is partnered/subsidiary of tuttimelon) actually uses tea in their mixtures, so if you're getting a glorified smoothie...:nyoron:

At least it's a deliciously glorified smoothie. :v: The pureed hunks of fresh mango are amaaaazing.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Teavana's accessories are ungodly overpriced what are you talking about :gonk:

I'm not going to argue personal preferences on tea but they charge like $8 for a $1.50 tea strainer.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

The perils of cheap tea and oversteeping. If your jasmine tea tastes like hand soap that's about what I figure, anyway.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I know of plenty of Asian markets in Chicago and the surrounding but I have no idea who would sell "cut rate" Zojirushi stuff. I paid $150 or so for my Zoji rice cooker at H Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

^^ fair enough, I guess I just misread. Zojis are pretty dreamy, though! :swoon:

neogeo0823 posted:

I had taken a trip to Niagara Falls Ontario for New Years Eve(I live in buffalo), and one of the stores there had ice wine tea. I couldn't afford it, but my one friend's mom could and she gave me a couple bags to take home. I wish I could remember the name of the company because holy poo poo, is it ever good. I know it's ceylon tea and I think pieces of the grapes used in ice wine, but I'm not sure. Anyone ever come across anything like this? All I remember is that it was in a red box.

http://www.culinaryteas.com/Flavored_Teas/Canadian_Ice_Wine_Tea.html

http://www.teadog.com/Ice-Wine-Tea-p/mtiw50.htm

Neither is a red box but they are both pretty much what you have described.

I Googled "ice wine tea" :ssh:

Sounds tasty though!