Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I've never actually had genmai cha. Does it taste sweet at all because of the brown rice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I got some pretty generic Tie-Guan-Yin from Upton and I have to say, it's pretty good. I'm new to the world of teas outside of my own little world but this stuff is amazing. It almost tastes sweet as an after-taste. Definitely would recommend it to those who want to try something.

And Upton also gave me a free sample of Darjeeling Ftgfopi. No idea what this stuff is but hey, if it's free, I'll try it.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

a handful of dust posted:

I'm pretty new to the whole tea thing, so forgive me if some of these questions are silly.

My mom gave me an old school porcelain teapot with one of those mesh stainers you hold over the cup as you pour, along with a tin of loose leaf twinings English breakfast. She got them as a gift but isn't really into tea.

I've made a few cups so far, and it tastes a million times better than the Lipton bags I've been using. You don't see much loose leaf tea in stores around here, so I didn't really know what I was missing.
I love the teapot, but the tea usually ends up oversteeping and getting too bitter before I can finish the pot. Should I be steeping in one pot and then pouring it into another to serve?

Which brewing method works best? Bodum pots/presses, the ingenuitea, tea balls, strainers, removable in-pot infusers? It's kind of bewildering at first.

I think it really depends. Some of the older folks like to dump the tea directly into the water and let it steep forever so it can be super strong towards the end. I prefer to let my tea steep for a few minutes (based on your tastes) and then just remove it.

Investing a tea steeper helps to manage this. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Mesh-Tea-Ball/dp/B00004RIZ7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319328214&sr=8-1

Obviously there are like a million out there but they all generally serve the save purpose which is preventing your tea leaves from scattering all over the inside of your cup.

I would personally just warm water in the teapot and then put the tea steeper into the cup itself. Then pour the water into the cup. Let it sit for a few minutes (this varies based on how strong you like it I imagine) and then just remove the steeper full of tea. No mess.

edit: I wouldn't really worry too much about the equipment you use to make the tea because unless you're drinking some top-knotch high grade stuff; it's more hassle than it's worth. Just don't use boiling water. Just make it just hot enough where it won't boil but will still be relatively hot. This varies by tea though if you do care to get exact temperatures for that "perfect taste".

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Hawkgirl posted:

Does it need to be glass? Mug/infuser sets have gotten really popular in the last few years. I got this one for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/Made-Order-Essential-Infuser-Blue/dp/B002CIIFV4/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325820540&sr=1-2 and it works fine, except 1) I burned the gently caress out of my hand not paying attention to the max fill line and 2) the infuser basket is a little smaller than I'd like. There are many, many variations on the theme though - check the related products on the Amazon link.

Don't get a tea ball. :)

Also this. This has served me well and keeps the tea forever hot. (Longer than I would like but does it's job...really well)

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan-12-Ounce-Stainless-Steel-Tumbler/dp/B00004S1CV

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Hummingbirds posted:

:siren:Teavana has free shipping today!! Use code TREATYOURSELF:siren:

I really want to think this is a Parks and Recreation Tom Haverford reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I guess I never really understood adding sugary things to tea. Then again, I grew up drinking a whole lot of roasted barley tea and I know a lot of tea people who absolutely hate the stuff because it's bitter (i guess?).

I'm almost tempted to try putting honey in green tea just to see what it's all about. Is there anything specific type of honey or will the little bear do?