Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sometimes I just throw some mulling spices from Trader Joe's in my black tea and it makes a pretty decent chai. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I like my tea very strong and somewhat sweet (usually) but I hate hate hate blends that have stevia, sweeteners, or goddamn candy in them. Let the drat tea just be tea, okay? We all know you're just adding this stuff because it's cheap and pretty, like how everything has cornflower in it now. <:mad:>

There's a little tea shop near work that I really like. They have a really good selection, the owner is really knowledgeable and enthusiastic about her products, and she keeps little sample jars of everything she sells so you can open them and smell the tea before buying it. So far I haven't had anything there that I didn't like.. but I have also seen a tea blend there that has godforsaken bubblegum balls in it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I feel the same way. I love fruity teas, but I hate when they have stevia or sugary stuff in them. My favorite thing right now is a blend of grapefruit oolong, blueberries, and lemongrass. I feel like if I bought it at David's it would have either stevia or like lemon candies mixed in, and it would be awful.

Yeah, I saw the David's Tea advent calendar and I was going to buy it until I realized that 90% of the teas were awful candy blends and/or full of Stevia. A friend of mine got one and posted her tasting notes on Facebook for everything and I think there was a single tea that sounded good to me, some sort of Earl Grey.. but I do love me some Earl Grey. I usually go for citrusy, spicy (like chai), or floral teas. Other fruits are okay but certainly not my first pick, and gently caress anything that has rooibos in it. I have an Earl Grey and a rose black from Tao of Tea that I get every couple of months with Amazon subscribe and save.. although I may have to hold off on the next shipment because I've been very lazy lately and have mostly been using bagged teas instead.. :shobon:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I also have to check all of the ingredients in David's teas to avoid both stevia/candies, but licorice root. I know it's cheap and stretches the tea without adding too much flavor but it makes me break out in hives every time.

gently caress rooibos indeed. I feel like I got the short end of the stick on my first taste of rooibos years ago because it was from Tazo, and it tasted like socks and vanilla.

Oh yeah, gently caress licorice root too. Stop putting that poo poo in every herbal blend thanks, it just makes the entire cuppa taste nasty and sickly sweetish. And this is coming from someone who actually enjoys black jellybeans. :colbert:

My first rooibos was some awful vanilla thing too, but I forget the brand. I've tried it several other times in different blends, but I just can't seem to appreciate it. A few years ago my husband got me a lovely chai gift set from Teavana without knowing just how picky I am.. well the mugs were nice (using one right now, even!), but there was only one chai I could actually drink. :sigh: One was some awful lemongrass rooibos thing, one was chocolate, and one was caramel. :barf:

That said, there was an amazing chai oolong in that set that I'm going to miss once my stash runs out. It's very heavily spiced and the oolong is near impossible to oversteep, so it doesn't get super astringent like a black tea would. You can make the strongest cup of tea in the goddamn world with it and I love it. :swoon:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I cut the label off the bag and scotch tape it on the container. :shrug:

Some of my leaf is in nice tins, some of it's in mason jars, some stays in the bag, and some gets dumped into cheap Ikea containers. Just depends on what I have handy at the moment. I'm not worried about light or anything though, since I have a giant drawer dedicated to tea storage. Not everything fits in there, but thankfully my partner also likes tea.. and is smart enough to avoid commenting on the size of my stash.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sometimes I just throw some leaves in a mug and try not to drink them. :shrug:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
California here, and most places it seems to be some sort of oolong, or something with a similar flavor profile. I've seen one or two places do chrysanthemum, though.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I bought a pack of 100 tea bags from Daiso for something like $1.50 and I just use those when I'm lazy for looseleaf. :shrug:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Pyromancer posted:

In my experience European desserts tend to be sweeter than Japanese, and American even sweeter than European. There are plenty of cookies to pick from for any sweetness levels though, just like some warashi are basically cookies.
On a more specific level I thought of a couple things not to sweet and without overwhelming flavor(like dark chocolate has for example):
Turkish delights, depending on maker can be barely sweet at all, especially if it's pistaccio/almond and not fruity flavors. Not to be confused with other turkish deserts, like baklava, that one is never not soaked in sugar.
Georgian churchkhela (known as soutzouki in Greece) should be only slightly sweet normally, containing no added sugar, just the grape juice

Every now and then I pick up some pistachio or rose flavored Turkish delights to have with my tea. Everyone seems to think it's weird grandma candy, but gently caress 'em, more for me. :colbert:

Sometimes I also get frozen rice cakes from the Vietnamese market because they're super convenient and I can just pop a couple in the microwave for ~30 seconds. They keep for ages in the freezer, and I generally find them more enjoyable than mochi because the kind I buy don't have any filling, and sometimes the bean paste in mochi is too sweet for me.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Jhet posted:

So I bought some tea from Spiritwood Tea Collective. It's very delicious. I even remembered to pull out my phone and take a couple pictures last week. I just forgot they were there until this week. Shipping was quick and you should go take a look.

The tea itself was almost sweet and reminded me of being in a early fall forest in aroma. I'm not the most poetic when it comes to description, but it's very good tea and is a delight to drink. I also got the Alishan Honey Red 2019. It's delicious too and is definitely tastes a little sweet. I've ordered tea from lots of places, and these varieties have nothing I could describe as an off flavor (definitely no chemical flavors unlike most Indian darjeeling I've had in the last decade), and the leaves are giant and almost entirely intact.

Reiterpallasch posted:

drat, those are some pretty leaves too

Yeah, in the thumbnail I thought they were dried lily buds for a moment. Now I kind of want to see if brewing lilies would taste alright.. :thunk:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yeah, a friend made fun of me once because I occasionally drink Lipton. Then my husband joined her in teasing because I don't know, I guess he doesn't like living or breathing or having kidneys. :shrug:

Then when she moved out of the area she gave me a bunch of tea, and there was a whole box of Red Rose stashed in there. Honestly it wasn't any better, it just doesn't have the stigma of a certain brand name attached to it. They still sell it in packs of 100 for less than $5 at the supermarket so get over yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Reiterpallasch posted:

Speaking of horrid impractical tea machines, someone made a Juicero for matcha. A mere $370 for the machine, and then just $3/cup or so for their premium (Kagoshima) matcha! You're practically losing money by not buying it!

Thanks I hate it