Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I like Zhi Tea (https://www.zhitea.com) myself. You can even go to their store if you're in/near Austin. They also field questions and have videos, so it's nice if you're a tea noob like me.

I love the Vanilla rose and golden lily oolong. There's something charming about watching rose buds unfurl in hot water. Working on finding a green I really like. So far the mint green tea is working best for me.

And for some reason I can practically never get white tea to work out for me. :/ I even use a timer and thermometer/water boiler I can set.

The OP was nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Has anyone in the US ordered from T2? A friend and I were curious about some of their flavors, but I didn't want to get customs on my case.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I really like some of their blends, especially the chocolate ones. But I'll see if there's something closer.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

For what it's worth, I've found some disposable tea bags (though I can usually reuse them at least a couple of times with the same tea) that I can use with loose leaf tea. It's pretty handy for those days I'm zonked or whatever.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I use a Zojirushi water boiler. It's really nice and I can set the temperature or set it to boil later. It also works for ramen noodles and anything I need that needs boiling water. The settings are 208F, 195F, 175F and 140F. You can also dispense at 212F if you pay attention to it. Though, Zojirushi stuff tends to be a little pricey. But it's held up for about 3 years and works great.

I've been trying to find a decent thermos/travel mug, myself. I sort of like how the Timolinos look and having a secret stash for leaves/a tea bag looks awesome. What do folks use to lug tea around to work with them?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Is it this one: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CD-...d=IHHNS71GMZC0I ? My office is moving to a new, bigger building and I decided to buy myself a boiler to keep at work since I drink so much tea. Wanted to buy one of these for home a couple years back but didn't really want/need something that stayed on 24/7. Gonna buy this one once we move because it looks fab and also Zojirushi is the best.

Yup! That's the one. Works like a champ and doesn't seem to mind me leaving it on a few hours or setting it to boil and have hot water by the time I'm home for work. I just clean it out with citric acid or vinegar once in awhile (Our water is so hard, ugh). I got mine a bit cheaper for being a display model, but it's been great. I like using it for tea, noodles and fast hot water. A little pricey, but I like it lots.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

DurianGray posted:

I don't know if this really affects anyone here or not, but Adagio just got a Cease and Desist from Warner Brothers over all the Harry Potter themed 'fandom blends' on the website. They're encouraging people to rename and change the artworks on the effected blends.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get more C&Ds in the future from other IP rights holders. Personally, I thought it was really weird and kind of off-putting when they suddenly went whole-hog on embracing the fandom stuff with the custom blends (and the 'shipping' discount thing, what?). I'm not even sure if you can find a blend that isn't part of some fandom or another the way they have the page organized now.

The fandom blends had some interesting flavors, but yeah. I can't say I'm surprised.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

milpreve posted:

Don't throw things at me. Teavana has a new apple cider tea made with rooibos that is fabulous. I love apple cider teas, but most have a strong cinnamon extract/chemically taste. This one doesn't, and I will buy a pound of it as soon as I can afford it. It's $9/2 oz. It's seriously delicious, and supposed to be a part if their regular tea wall, but I wouldn't be surprised if they retired it before next summer to make way for more seasonal drinks. They have samples in the store of it, and it's $3 for a hot cup to go. I know, most of Teavana is meh or crap, but try this. Better than a PSL (Starbucks pumpkin spice latte) any day!

Note: It does have artificial flavoring, but I'm pretty sure that's mostly for apple flavor. The cinnamon isn't too strong or awful or artificial-tasting like cheap spiced teas.

There's nothing wrong with liking something Teavana has. The bad part is when you buy into them and insist on a hojillion dollar tea pot otherwise your tea will taste like crap and 3 monks will come personally down the side of a mountain to pour the tea over your head.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

I bought some Milky Oolong/Jin Xuan (?) tea yesterday. It's probably a flavoured rather than natural version but I'm not sure how to tell. How long can I keep the leaves for re-brewing before it's not worth it?

Oh, and has anyone here tried the various teas from Teapigs? http://www.teapigs.co.uk/ I've ordered a bunch of different teas from them before, and liked them, but was wondering how they really compare in quality to other places.

I actually ordered from them on the first, and won a box of free tea. I like them quite a lot! It's good quality tea, though I've only tried the mint, chai, chocolate tea, and winter spiced (hooray samplers). Working on the chili chai now. The regular chai is kind of subdued for a chai, I think, but the others have been pretty intense and good quality. Then again, I like medium-strong teas.

You get free samples if you order online.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Yeah, they definitely have good customer service. I've ordered once and it came just fine. I'll make a note of that, though and give preparing chai that way a shot. Thankfully, I only ordered samples since I am uncertain on buying a whole box or bag of stuff I might not like.

I like tea from Zhi Tea and DavidsTea when I was in the US, and it's fairly similar.

The winter spiced is one of my favorites and chocolate.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

... Assam and chocolate are so awesome together. Goodbye, soda.

I like to put some in a thermos and take it with me for long lectures.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Just wanted to post about the great customer service experience I had with Davids. I bought like 100g of their new tea Mint to Be the other week based on the fact that it seemed to be made entirely of ingredients I had tried before in their other tea- however, it was awful, and smelled strongly of... not coconut or mint, but an artificial smell that turned my stomach. I sent an email to Davids asking for a list of which natural ingredients were added to it (cream, butterscotch, white chocolate mousse... what?) and which other teas contained those ingredients so I could avoid them.

They sent me back an email within a day, and not only apologized for my experience and provides me a list of the additives, but also offered to send me 50g of a tea of my choice shipped to my door, which leads me to my next question- anyone else shop Davids and have favourites they'd recommend? I tend to go for blacks and herbals and anything not terribly sensitive to temperature since I just have a kettle after I broke my thermometer.

I really liked their red velvet tea, which was black. The orange and chocolate puerh was pretty awesome if you like a stronger orange and chocolate taste and kind of a smokey tea.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

http://yumasia.co.uk has some of the Zojirushi ones. I don't know much about their TUFF line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I like the teapig's chocolate assam. That, or the everyday brew is kind of nice to wake up to.