Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'd definitely start fruity. Peach in particular has a good natural sweetness that nicely counteracts any bitterness from oversteeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jon Joe posted:

Can the thread help me select a good tea pot from amazon?

What are you looking for? Size, material, style?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Get her some gyokuro :getin:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I got yet another tea bowl. It is purple and green

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

neogeo0823 posted:

Rooibos tea is caffeine free. But I guess technically

(Screeching into the thread like a lovely jalopy) technically rooibos isn't te(is hit by a train)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's also very cheap, you can get a fuckton of it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't use it for tea but I have one of the 20 oz ones and it is legitimately shocking how well insulated it is for how light it is. I've had ice cubes remain solid in it for nearly a day.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

isaboo posted:

It's been too long since I've had some oolong

You should fix that

quote:

So I'm drinking some now

Good

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Play with them a lot. Make sure the lid can slide when you need it to and stay in place when you need it to. Make sure it's good in the hand. Nothing is worse than a cheap feeling gaiwan

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

That's a fair point. If the lid is too big or not round enough it could be an issue. But most imperfections are totally fine. And I really like cheap gaiwans. The factory stuff that you can find for $20 is my jam.

I don't mean monetarily cheap, I mean a gaiwan that you don't feel like you can trust in your hand. One that feels thin or like the lid is gonna just give way when you're pouring and dump everywhere. You should be able to pour without apprehension.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Jasmine oolong is really the only floral tea I not only can tolerate in large quantities but actually enjoy. Usually it tends to be flavored with oils rather than having actual jasmine in it, which results in a much stronger initial flavor but washes away quickly. Tea flavored with actual jasmine tends to be milder but the floral scent persists.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Planet X posted:

Is the Stagg worth it? Looks cool, and I'd like something small to fit in the cupboard. Local place has them.

I have the stovetop Corvo and I quite like it. It has the larger pour spout and I think it's overall much better for tea. Goosenecks are more for pour-over coffee.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
See if they can get you a Corvo instead. They may be able to order one for you.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am inveterate gyokuro drinker and I will often take the spent leaves and either put them on top of sushi or put a little soy sauce on them and eat them straight

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You can also use em for Burmese tea leaf salad. Typically people will buy premade tea leaf stuff but you don't have to.

Demanding a recipe for this

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

You put this idea into my head. Please do not question the logistics of an octopus drinking tea or criticize my anatomy because I didn't use a reference

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You might look into cast iron. The trick is to preheat it with hot water and then pour it out to brew with fresh hot water.

Alternatively, brew several pots all at once and put it into a thermos and dispense from that into a cup as needed.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
With tea, the answer to "am I doing it right" comes down to "does it taste good to you?" Oolongs are not especially "strong" teas overall, so if you want to brew it stronger but maintain the overall profile, try lowering the temperature a little (5-10⁰C) and add another minute or two to brew, and then adjust to taste. That way you won't extract so much of the higher temp bitterness but you'll get more of those middle temp flavors that are generally desired.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think if you're coming from Earl Grey, just about anything is going to seem relatively attenuated by comparison

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

the yeti posted:

Thanks, I don’t dislike green tea as such but I feel like black tea is easier to sleepily brew while I’m making breakfast, and green gets unbearably grassy if I’m not very careful

Lower your brew temps.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It really depends on how strong you want it. 3-4 regular size bags would be enough for a pretty substantial amount of water. Are you planning to leave the bags in while it chills?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Bagged tea tends to be made from the remnants of loose leaf tea after it goes through the sorting process. It's usually called "tea dust" and it's the little bits that break off of tea as it is processed. It's still tea and it's still good, but being in a reduced form factor like that means that the small surface area extracts all the tea compounds a lot faster, so resteeping bagged tea isn't going to get you very far. Big, intact leaves have a lot more to give, so to speak.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

aldantefax posted:

Apparently not very since I don’t remove the teabag, and usually I have a thermos so I will let it ride for hours. So, maybe one tenth dutch

:goofy:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm on my second pot of hojicha tonight

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I use a Brita tank with one of their "longlast" filters in it, and it's been going strong for over a year now. I'm not sure what the actual lifespan of them is but supposedly it's going to warn me when I have to replace it. (Our municipal water is also quite good, so I think it's not had a lot of pressure put on it.)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No worse than Duck poo poo for a tea name

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A lot of places are overdoing it with the blending. I pretty much only drink pure leaf stuff.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dark ripe Puerhs, including ones with actual cacao in them, and I've found adding a splash of vanilla soy milk to give it a little bit of that cafe au lait creamy sweetness is a good avenue.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Coffee drinkers are usually weird about tea, I find. Even though "serious" coffee people and "serious" tea people tend to engage in a lot of the same habits and affectations regarding their drink of choice, it's hard to get a lot of crossover.

That said, to answer your other question, I would recommend a tuocha. I'm also a big fan of this Puerh and cacao blend when mixed with a splash of vanilla soy milk.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Have you ever tried gongfu brewing? You can get a lot more mileage out of a lot less tea without having to just brew it stronger.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Eating something with a little fat and carbs along with it always helps me (usually some buttered toast or something)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Was the tea good

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah I would never gongfu any Japanese green. You need big leaves

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Framboise posted:

So I went and got the sampler mentioned earlier and a gaiwan, strainer, and 2 tea cup set and they arrived on Monday.

The cups aren't as pretty as the pictures made them out to be, but I kind of like that they have their own unique look to them.

So far I've tried:
"Imperial Grade Silver Needle White Tea of Jinggu" - My first attempt at gongfu. I don't think I was messing it up so much as maybe I just didn't use enough? The flavor was so faint that it didn't really start to show until the fourth steep or so, and even then it didn't get very far.
2024 "Cozy" Certified Organic Pu-erh - This was a little sample pouch that came with my order, much smaller than the others. I don't understand this one, but then again I've not had pu-erh before now so maybe I just don't "get" it, or I wasn't doing it right? I dunno. Tasted like black tea mixed with soil. I heard that these kinds of teas can be earthy but maybe it's quite a bit more so than I had expected, which makes me a bit nervous for the 250g bag of Menghai pu-erh I got as a BOGO extra. I dunno.
"King of Duck poo poo Aroma" Dan Cong Oolong - I had to try this one because of the ridiculous name, and it's all right. I don't think I did it right, once more? The description noted that it'd be floral, sweet, and toasty, but the only flavor I was really getting out of it after a bunch of steeps was "toasty". And that's not a bad thing really, but I don't think I'm getting out of it what I'm supposed to.

Maybe I really should pick up a better scale, my kitchen scale is not very good at very small weights.

Also,

I saw a tin of their Paris tea sachets at the store the other day and picked it up. Not bad at all. Maybe a bit bubblegum-y for my tastes, but the smell is nice.

Get one of those little gram scales people use for measuring weed. Seriously.

What kind of temperatures are you steeping at, and how long? White teas brew just slightly hotter than greens usually, and they may require a longer steep time to bring out their flavors.
Give it a good rinse for about 5 seconds and just pour off the first batch, then cover up the leaves with the lid and let it just settle for 10-20 seconds and give it maybe 20-30 seconds of steep time. With the Puerh, cut all those times drastically and brew it hotter. Rinse about 3 seconds and let it sit and open up for a whole minute, then do a proper brew for 5-10 seconds.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This is a really good introductory Puerh. It's got some cacao mixed in so it accents the earthiness in a way and comes out very creamy. It's excellent mixed with a little milk and honey.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah raw is a totally different beast. It doesn't have the literal compost factor of ripe Puerh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah Puerhs in a Gaiwan should get like, five seconds