Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Boba Pearl posted:

Does anyone have a good Chai Tea recipe?

If I’m making chai on the stove, I throw the spice mix into the water first thing and bring it up to a boil. Once it’s at a full boil, I take the pot off the burner and throw in the tea to steep and then the sweetener. I pour the milk in once the tea has steeped for five minutes, I put it back on the burner to heat the milk and steep it a little further. Then I strain the whole thing as I pour it into the cups.

I usually use half water half milk. You could steep it all at once, but the extra care I take makes sure the milk never burns or boils over. I also use a strong assam, twice the amount you use for regular tea (or sometimes doubled again to use up some black that’s gone a little stale), but any cheap strong black tea will do. The spice mix can also be resteeped over and over. The tea leaves only once or twice. So I sometimes throw the spice mix in a separate tea ball to use over a few days. My spices are all whole, crushed into large chunks rather than ground to dust, in a mortar and pestle, so they retain their flavor a lot longer.

My recipe is adaptable to various spices, but my base is green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, all spice, black pepper, and ginger. To change things up I sometimes add fennel, pink peppercorns, cocoa nibs, nutmeg or star anise (usually only one of these on top of the base).

Lately I’ve been lazy and drinking various David’s chais (got a chai sampler for Christmas) with a dollop of heavy cream instead of half milk, but making it on the stove from whole spices is so worth it when you have the time or are making it for company.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Of the bagged teas Yorkshire Gold is definitely better than most, but its price depends on how accessible it is since it’s imported from England. How hot does the kuerig make the water? Because if I’m using boiling water with a bagged tea, I only steep it for 30-90 seconds. 3-5 min is too much for anything other than piss-warm water (or one teabag in a huge pot), since teabags have been redesigned for barbarians XD

Are you opposed to putting milk in your tea? Because I’ve been drinking cheap chai with whipping cream (or half-and-half if I have no other option), and the higher fat dairy has completely eliminated my need to add sugar to it.

As for sweeter blacks, good Yunnan or Keemun are so delicious they don’t need anything added to them, but I keep the temperature down to 85C for a good Keemun, so it’s probably a better home tea unless you bring your own setup to work.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 20, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

So, given that, does anyone have any links to decent, cheap Yunnan or Keemun teas I could grab samples of?

I get all my Chinese blacks from Teavivre these days: https://www.teavivre.com/tea.html?cat=10

The Dian Hong Golden Snail is one of the lower priced Yunnan teas and it’s delicious: https://www.teavivre.com/dian-hong-golden-snail-black-tea.html It tastes a bit like chocolate and caramel.

Golden monkey is also always a great pick, but they currently only have the premium in stock. You’ll have to wait a few months for the next harvest to get the regular kind. But if you can find an inexpensive golden monkey elsewhere, you really can’t go wrong with that one.

The Keemun’s are all extremely different (I’m preferential to their superfine mao feng because the later infusions taste almost like dark chocolate covered cherries, but it’s expensive so I’m waiting for a big sale to stock up). I suggest ordering a bunch of samples to figure out which ones you like.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Just want to add David’s gyokuro is not bad, but pricy. It’s a great one to get as your free 50g if you get enough frequent steeper points.

I usually get their pheonix oolong though. It’s a decent one (I have yet to compare it to the ones on Teavivre). Though it sucks it’s only offered online.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

facepalmolive posted:

Tea newb here. Now that I have the disposable income, I figure I should treat myself to some better tea.

Years ago I bought some tea from Silk Road as a present and that was the goon recommendation at the time. So what's up with Teavivre and why is everyone here singing high praises of it? Is it something like the quality/price ratio? Its prices are like 1/3 that of Silk Road, and assuming it's comparable quality, why does that price difference feel so shady?

Should I just get one of their tea samplers to start figuring out what I might like?

There’s way less markup when you buy tea directly from China. The other major Chinese tea company that sells direct to customers internationally is YunnanSourcing.com and they have even less markup on their teas because they’re not figuring in the flat-rate shipping into their prices the way Teavivre does. Getting tea shipped direct from China would probably cost more if epacket shipping weren’t priced to favor imports from China, but that’s a whole huge International trade issue I won’t get into.

My local small tea shop https://mrmaxeystea.com/ is really good about not price gouging. The golden snail I can get from Teavivire for $11.50 CAD per 100g, they sell for about $16.50 CAD per 100g. Not a huge markup at all. David’s Tea in comparison massively marks up their teas to the point where you’re only getting value for your money if you buy their teas on sale. I still buy from both, the former because they have a lot of great high-end teas the owner buys directly from the tea farmers or ethical tea co-ops in India. The latter because David’s has some damned good non-caffeinated blends and nice teaware.

Also, I’ve come to trust Teavivre even with the occasional shipping mishaps that have happened because their customer service is great and they’re really good about fixing their mistakes. I once ended up with 500g of jasmine oolong and 200g of osmanthus oolong for free because my package accidentally got mixed up with someone else’s, which arrived at the same time as my actual order because they reshipped it out express. Hope that person in Australia likes pu-erh! (I’m not too keen on jasmine unfortunately, but the osmanthus is great)

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 22, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

facepalmolive posted:

I'll stick with Teavivre samplers then, as I'm assuming (given the name) that YunnanSourcing is probably more puer-focused? I haven't quite acquired a taste for puer yet -- it still tastes like musk/dirt to me, but then again I've probably just had bad ones.

Yunnan Sourcing actually has huge selection of every type of tea from nearly every region of China and they also have Taiwan Sourcing for all the teas in Taiwan. Their selection is so huge though, even I find it daunting. Teavivre has a smaller selection but a really well curated one, and the low flat rate shipping is great when you’re ordering a ton of samples.

If you’re unsure about pu-erh, this dark tea (processed like pu-erh, but not from the pu-erh regions) is a great one to try https://www.teavivre.com/guangxi-liu-bao-cha-dark-tea.html It has a bit of the puerh umami but is heavier on the fruit flavors like ripe plum.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

And was incredibly disappointed to find out that Teavivre wasn't shipping orders till the end of the month due to the lunar new year. Further, my wife got all squicked out at the idea due to the recent illnesses on that side of the world, so... I guess I'm stuck waiting on that magnificent looking golden snail till things clear up.

Same tbh. Maybe I’m being superstitious, but ordering tea during a promotion for the year of the rat while a plague is ripping through their country seems... inauspicious, and my 2020 has sucked from the start. I’m not even sure my order wouldn’t be held in customs an extra month because of this, so I’m gonna wait on ordering more tea for now.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I’ve been eying an easy gaiwan like that for a long time, but haven’t bought one yet. I should probably have a spare in case I break the one I have (why do I have to be so clumsy, I’ve already chipped the saucer).

Carbon Thief posted:

I just got back from a trip to London and had fun checking out the Twining's shop. It's still in the same building from when it opened in the early 1700s. There's a little museum section in the back and the curator was super nice to talk to. The staff were very well-informed about the teas and happy to brew anything to sample as well.

Unrelated to tea - both the National Gallery and the Victoria and Albert Museum are incredible and well worth a visit.

I wish they sold more Twinings loose leaf tins in Canada. Their tea is ok enough that I’d totally buy a tin of Darjeeling just for the purple tin. They’re the perfect size to stack on my tea shelf. I have tons of Irish and English breakfast tins from when I was buying those as my staple breakfast teas, before they jacked the price up so much it’s cheaper to buy better quality Irish breakfast from Murchies.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

So you know how I was saying I wanted an easy gaiwan? Found this one in a travel box/gift set at the thrift store today for $6 CAD.

It’s extremely tiny though. Only holds 2oz, which is half the size of my blue and white one. But for that price I couldn’t not

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

What size is yours? It looks a lot bigger. I’d been eyeing this one for over a year because it’s nice and big and fairly portable https://yunnansourcing.com/collections/gaiwans/products/easy-gaiwan-duan-ni-clay-gaiwan-with-cup

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Heath posted:

It's a bit of an acquired taste. If she wants a green tea but wants something that isn't so overpoweringly umami, perhaps try a sencha?

I don't have anything to give a proper size reference for my gaiwan so here it is sitting on a copy of David Foster Wallace's Brief Interviews With Hideous Men.

Lol I just pour water into mine with a measuring cup and note how many oz went in xD

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

4 oz seems to be the optimum size according to Teavivre’s brewing suggestions. I’ve found some of the teas I’ve sampled in my 4 oz don’t have a chance to fully expand though, so I often find myself dumping the leaves in a 16 oz mug and brewing it grandpa style after a proper gaiwan session, and usually end up getting one or more last strong cups out of it.

Speaking of lavender, though I’m not a fan of extremely floral teas, I’m upset David’s Tea got rid of their Lavender Swirl because that one was nicely balanced, and yet they kept the Lavender Buttercream which is excessively sweet. Why do they keep blending teas pre-sweetened with stevia and poo poo? Let us sweeten our own tea (or not) to taste, dammit

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 4, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I feel the same way. I love fruity teas, but I hate when they have stevia or sugary stuff in them. My favorite thing right now is a blend of grapefruit oolong, blueberries, and lemongrass. I feel like if I bought it at David's it would have either stevia or like lemon candies mixed in, and it would be awful.

I’ve had some really nice herbal blends from David’s (I bought over 500g of lemon smash last year because it’s the best lemon tea I’ve ever tasted and didn’t have anything terrible in it), but I check the ingredients on every one of them because I refuse to buy anything with stevia or candy in it

Re Earl Grey, I have an order of this new blend from Murchies coming in today https://www.murchies.com/store/fine-tea/earls-gold-loose-tea.html and I’m looking forward to trying it

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 4, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Does anyone have recs for a good electric kettle that's all metal/glass with variable temp control?

I’ve been eyeing this one to eventually replace the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Temperature-Featuring-Gooseneck-BV382518V/dp/B00N2278VC/

I got a great deal on a Gourmia variable temperature kettle for $25 over a year ago, but it was partially plastic and the lovely hinge snapped on the lid, so now I can only open the lid extremely carefully to clean it and have to fill it by the spout. I found the Bonavita while researching a replacement. It’s highly rated and also seems to have no plastic parts inside the kettle at all. I noticed the lid comes straight off instead of having a failure-prone hinge inside it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I’ve always preferred honeybush (it makes a fantastic iced tea), and never got why rooibos is so much more popular.

I have a really nice chocolate mint rooibos though, and like it as a base for chai. But I haven’t been able to find a pre-blended rooibos chai I like, so I’m considering buying pure rooibos and mixing it with my own masala chai blend.

Also I’ve found rooibos works nicely with cream, like coffee, rather than milk

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

That's interesting, I stopped having espresso all the time because it was making me jittery, and coffee was doing the job, but two tea bags made me feel the same - as in, the same chronic fatigue I usually feel, without the caffeine withdrawal. I figured 2x bags of black tea was at least close to normal coffee.

If you’re switching from coffee because the caffeine crash is bad for you, I’d recommend mate. There’s a roasted mate, usually called Brasilano in a lot of tea shops I’ve seen, that kinda has that chocolate/chicory flavor, which is a great substitute for a nice mocha

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

I've been a big iced coffee drinker for a while but the caffeine is combining with a new medication in a bad way, so I'm going to try to stop drinking it. I was thinking of replacing my usual morning habit with a nice decaf tea, and ideally one that's served well cold. I've always like Earl Grey, green tea, peppermint, and other herbal teas, just not enough to make a habit of them. What would be the best options for decaf teas I could plop into ice water and still have my morning routine with something tasty, or would I be better off making something in advance or pouring hot before chilling? Thanks all! Big transition for me.

You’re lucky, Earl Grey is one of the few types of tea you can get in decaf. I buy Murchies decaf teas https://www.murchies.com/store/fine-tea/tea-type/decaf-tea.html for my husband, since he can’t have caffeine anymore, and there’s Yorkshire decaf, which would do fine iced. And of course there’s tons of good herbal blends out there, but those should get you buy on those days you’re missing the taste of tea.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Trabant posted:

Working from home on account of the... you know, which is letting me revisit some tea I bought a while back and stashed away. That includes opening up these TeaVivre pu-erh samples and omg they're tiny little minicakes

This is going to be the most adorable apocalypse ever.

That sampler is great, not a bad one in the bunch. I wasn’t sure I’d like the rose one, but the pu-erh overpowers everything in the nicest way possible so the florals just add an interesting touch of aroma.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Also when I talk about aging teas in your house, I forget not everyone lives on an island with a humidor-like climate. If the humidity levels in your house get too low, you'll face the same problem as puer collectors. Tea sitting in a typical American house would be "extreme dry storage" because of the heater running all winter for one thing. This doesn't do permanent damage to the tea, but tea aging will "pause" in dry surroundings, and the tea will simply not change like it should. If you already have a Pu-midor or Pu-cave, that's gonna be where to put any long term oolong/ red/ white teas you're aging. Leave the tea in the plastic bag+tin it came in, and don't seal the top, just roll the bag closed and close the box normally. No sealing is so the tea can "breathe". Breathing is also why unglazed clay jar is the most popular choice for seriously aging any kind of tea.

Oh yeah, having a place to age tea in an ultra dry climate is essential. The typical humidity in my apartment is 30 and it often drops to 20 in the winter. Even with a hot steam humidifier to help the sinus headaches I get overnight, it rarely gets above 40. I have to pump that thing full blast all day just to reach 60.

I have a makeshift pumidor that I’m not entirely sure is the best setup, since I’m still experimenting. It’s a wooden chest that isn’t air tight, so I sandwich a damp towel under the lid and have a shallow container filled with water that I regularly check and replace (the towel as well). My hydrometer usually hovers at 70 in there, which seems the best I can do with a semi-open chest unless I pour boiling water in the container and let it steam up, I can temporarily bring it up to 80.

What I do with my cakes is rotate which ones are open to the air (similar types) and which are sealed in their original packaging. Also open to the air means still in their original paper wrappers. I drink them often enough to remind me to rotate them every couple weeks or so. If I’m going to be away for a while I seal everything back up because in this climate it’s the safer bet.

I hadn’t thought of trying to age my (non-cake) white teas and dancong oolongs in the pumidor by leaving their tins open in there. I’m gonna try that, thanks.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 29, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Are you doing a rinse with hot water to open up the leaves? That would be my first guess. How much leaf you use also depends on how large a gaiwan you’re using.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

In a gaiwan I usually pour the water when it’s almost at temperature until it covers the leaves and then dump it out after 5-10 seconds. Unless the tea is really finicky, I don’t bother preheating the teaware since the rinse usually brings the gaiwan enough to temperature itself.

When I’m using a basket infuser it’s not that different, just lift it out after 5-10 seconds, dump the rinse, and pour in the still boiling water as normal to resume steeping

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Rinsing should make some difference. Those 5-10 seconds you really get no flavor at all, and letting the leaves rest between pours also allows a little more flavor to leech out. I’ve noticed in my own gong fu sessions if I do more than two infusions in a row (like if I’m pouring them into a pitcher to share with friends) they’re a lot weaker than if I let the leaves sit between steepings.

Also Meng Ding Huang Ya is a yellow tea, correct? I try to check similar teas to Teavivre’s brewing suggestions since they work so well, and their two yellow teas vary widely between recommended steep times. One of them starts at 25 seconds but the other starts at 60 seconds, so it’s possible your tea just needs a longer time to steep, even in a gaiwan.

Also your leaf ratio seems right to me

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Those Ikea tins are pretty great. I have a nested set of theirs from years ago. I have many tins because I used to drink Twinings loose tea back when it was cheap, and a friend used to buy me Tazo tea in big 250g tins. Then I started getting free tins from David’s Tea every time I bought 100g of tea or more. On top of that, if I find a nice tea tin at the thrift store I can’t resist, so now I have way too many and this is after I started covering them in washi paper and giving them to friends.

But when you don’t have any, Ikea, and thrift and dollar stores are better places to start than Amazon. I’ve looked, and Amazon just doesn’t shine in that department.

If you go for glass jars, make sure to keep them someplace dark like a cupboard.

This is 1/4 of my tin collection, gathered over 15 years.

The great thing about having such a variety of tins is I know what’s in every single one without labeling them.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 21, 2020

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I have another tea shelf besides the one I posted, a tea area with even more tins on my china cabinet, and tea stuffed into ceramic containers and even a vase inside my china cabinet. And in the bottom of the china cabinet I have all my excess tea sealed in bags next to my excess tins. Oh and some vacuum-sealed bags of oolong in the fridge.

Oh, and the pu erh cakes in the pumidor in my bedroom

Somehow I retain a complete mental inventory of all of this. I don’t know how

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

The spacing of the tines matters too. I’ve tried making matcha with a hand whisk, and I couldn’t get the tea dust to suspend without going at it long enough to make my hand ache. One of those $5 electric latte frothers from Ikea would probably do a better job than a standard whisk

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

It feels weird, the fact I haven’t bought tea once this year. I’m out of some of my favorites, but every time I think about making an order I look my tea shelves and realize I still have enough tea to last the apocalypse. I bought so much tea last year.

I’m running out of golden snail though, and the Canadian dollar is so poo poo it’s twice the price it was last year :negative:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

thotsky posted:

Teavivre has some great Jasmine Dragon Pearls.

Yeah, I got 500g of it by accident, and it’s good. And I’m saying that as someone who hates most jasmine tea. It’s nicely balanced

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

value-brand cereal posted:

Teavivre is have a ninth anniversary sale. Anyone pick something up? I blew 49 usd on some Black Dragon Balls and oolong. Fengqing Dragon Pearl black tea is so good. Did they stop giving out samples? I didn't even get that option. If they locked it behind some 'spend XXX amount for samples' I will be sad. Hopefully I'll see this tea before the end of the year.

I’m still mulling over my shopping cart, since I’ve cut down on my tea buying drastically this year. But I ran the shopping cart all the way up to $100 CDN trying to decide (I’ll be cutting that in half to only spend around $50), and no free samples appeared. Seems every tea place I’ve browsed has been tightening their own belts.

Has anyone tried their Keemun Imperial black? https://www.teavivre.com/keemun-imperial-black-tea.html That’s one I’m mulling over that I’ve never had a sample of. Currently it’s a better deal to buy 50g than a 10g sample. I’m wondering if it’s worth the price compared to the less expensive Keemuns.

Irony.or.Death posted:

May or may not apply in your case but one other factor to consider is attention - as the whole process becomes more familiar, it's easy for tea (or coffee or anything else really) brewing and drinking to sort of fade into your routine. If you already mostly know what to expect it's not going to grab you, so you really have to make a point of stopping and focusing to experience the same sort of taste you got on first exposure when the novelty pulled your attention on its own. From that perspective it makes a lot of sense that you're getting good results from gaiwan experimentation since that makes you focus on it.

I’ve been going through the same thing, consuming tea without much ceremony or attention, and it really does make a negative difference. I don’t even drink The Good Tea when I don’t have the headspace to appreciate it, so I’ve been sticking to cheaper staples while my head’s in an apathetic fog.

Sirotan posted:

Yeah that is probably true and I guess I already knew that, the internets seem to say those filters are totally compostable so I will keep on tossing them out there.

I bought a 300 pack of paper filters from China late last year and did a burn test on them to make sure they weren’t plastic-infused. Set an edge of one on fire and blow it out right away. If the burnt edge is flaky and not curled up in plasticky blobs, it’s compostable.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

The Postman posted:

Are most teas generally fine to brew "Western style" without losing a ton of the mileage you can get out of the leaves? I love gongfu but it's definitely not practical for preparing tea during work.

I’ve been lazily brewing my Keemuns and Dian Hongs western style lately, and they do fine. It’s not the same rich experience as gong fu by far, but I can get three potent steepings out of the good ones which is enough for all day when I’m drinking out of a 16 oz mug. The steeping times are generally 3 min, 5 min, and 8 min, though the last can be much longer.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

^^Same on the box of Yorkshire Gold in the cupboard.

I’ve been drinking Irish Breakfast every morning forever and my love of more expensive teas hasn’t changed that. I used to buy Twinings blend, but they raised the price in Canada to almost $10/100g when I can get a pound of it from Murchies for less than $30 CDN during fairly regular sales and it’s better quality.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

This Finum strainer is my favorite. I like it because the basket is big, fits in a teapot or mug, and has a little hat to keep the heat in.

Pour-through strainers work very well for gonfu or a teapot as well

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Yeah, I use filter bags for rooibos too because those needle leaves gum up strainers like crazy.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Trabant posted:

Mini pu'erh bricks! :3:

I straight up forgot I got them a long time ago but hey, that's actually a good thing in this case.

I got the same selection a while ago, they’re really nice. The rose and chrythanthemum ones aren’t overpoweringly floral, just add a subtle fragrance and sweetness to the tea. Not a bad price for 200g of mini tuo chas: https://www.teavivre.com/pu-erh-mini-tuocha-assortment.html

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I recall reading that plastic teabags were banned in Britain a year or two ago, so any bagged tea imported from England like Harney and Sons or Yorkshire Gold (both are good) should be non-plastic infused paper. Other English tea brands manifactured in North America no-doubt still have plastic poo poo in them.

The other option is to buy compostible paper tea bags and fill them with loose tea. David’s tea bags are a bit on the pricy side but 100% compostible. That’s only the empty tea bags though. The pre-bagged sachets are oxo-biodegradable plastic, which is a nice way to say, “this poo poo breaks down into a billion microplastics,” so don’t get that poo poo.

Finum also makes 100% compostible tea bags in various sizes and they’re super high quality. I’ve taken the risk buying much cheaper tea bags on Amazon from China, but I scrutinized the hell out of what I was buying and burnt one as a test to see if it curled up unto burned plastic lumps around the edges (just pure ash—I got lucky).

Also, the tea cakes I bought on black friday finally arrived, woo!

Edit: I also bought their grade 3 pu-erh as a cheap everyday tea, and drat is it nice. A tiny hint of fruit over the mellow umami and no fishy notes whatsoever.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 12, 2021

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Mrenda posted:

Why does my tea taste like mushrooms? It typically happens with raw pu-erhs, and some greens and lighter oolongs. Is it something to do with how I'm tasting them? Are they literally growing fungus in the sample bags they were sent to me in? Is my tea mug interacting with the tea? (I do clean it.) Is this the vegetal taste mixed with the earthy taste some people like?

It's only some teas that taste like this for me, the "raw-er" types. And sometimes it only happens after I've had a few sips and they've cooled down a little. Fermented pu-erhs, black teas and the less vegetal oolongs don't have this problem for me.

Edit: to be clear, this isn't the slight green-grass flavour I get with green teas, but a much more rich, meaty flavour you'd associate with some types of mushroom.

It’s definitely normal for some pu-erhs. They’ll describe teas like that as having umami. I’ve had some ripe pu-erhs so strong they almost taste like a vegetal beefy soup broth, but mushroomy is more usual.

For greens and oolongs, the umami usually comes off as more nutty than mushroomy to me

They suggest the rinse to get rid of any off notes, especially from fermented teas because stuff is growing in there as intended. If the flavor remains, that’s just how the teas taste I guess. Though I’ve had a couple bad samples of truly moldy teas, but those typically have the dirt taste you get in moldy bread or cheese.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I’ve become a big fan of aged white tea cakes. They’re a lower grade tea and have a much rougher taste, but omg the character in a good one

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Freeze them?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

The Finum mesh is metal, it’s just extremely fine so it’s more flexible than thicker metal filters. The plastic the mesh is attached to is also really durable

I’ve been putting my Finum universal strainer in the dishwasher once a week for years and it’s fine.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I want a pitcher for making iced tea by pouring hot tea over ice. I am concerned that if I use a plastic pitcher, the near-boiling water will leach out nasty chemicals but if I use a glass pitcher it might break due to the extreme shift from cold to hot. Is there a good pitcher for this?

e: I have a BPA-free plastic pitcher, is that good enough?

Triton is a plastic that can take going from boiling to cold and is supposed to be super food safe. David’s Tea uses it for its iced tea pitchers. I think anything made from borosilicate glass can handle it too. I have a Primula glass teapot, that admittedly I haven’t tried making iced tea with though, just regular tea. But I have poured boiling water directly into pyrex (real borosilicate pyrex, DO NOT attempt with their soda-lime poo poo) ramekins filled with ice.

That’s one way of making iced tea, with a teapot and a pitcher. Make the tea in the teapot and then pour over the ice in the pitcher. By the time the liquid makes contact with the pitcher, it’ll be cooled enough to not cause heat shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been brewing the tea in a pot on the stove and pouring it into a glass full of ice, but I'm sure the glass won't last doing this. Isn't this the usual way to do it? I know there's cold brew options but it seems like brewing hot (65-100 C depending on the tea) will get me the best flavor.

I’m kinda wary about doing it in a regular glass, but I’ve done it in a 16 oz glass tea mug and don’t worry too much about it. I just make sure to pour it over the middle of the ice rather than down the side.