Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

StrixNebulosa posted:

New in here, asking hopefully not a stupid question: I got an electric kettle for xmas and quite like it. What's the best bagged herbal tea if I want to move beyond Celestial Seasonings, but not into loose leaf - just get the pyramids from Adagio teas?

To get around the microplastic problem mentioned above, I buy compostible empty paper teabags and fill them with loose leaf, particularly for herbal teas likely to gum up a tea strainer like chamomile or rooibos

David’s tea bags run on the expensive side, but they’re great quality https://www.davidstea.com/us_en/teaware/teaware/infusers-and-filters/ornaments-david-s-tea-filters-pack-of-100/904298US01.html

Finum also makes great fillable teabags in multiple sizes. It really opens ups the selection when not buying tea pre-bagged

Edit: I should also mention David’s pre-bagged teas aren’t compostible, but are instead made of the “biodegradable” type of plastic that sheds even more microplastics by design, so they’re poo poo

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Ras Het posted:

What's a non-caffeinated hot drink I'm missing if I regularly consume and enjoy the following: rooibos (both green and red), honeybush, lavender, chamomile, ironwort, lindenflower, raspberry leaf, tulsi, lemon verbena, hibiscus, mint, licorice root? At least. Basically I love tea but have massive issues with caffeine, so my search for something new is about to take me to order mysterious herbal products from suspicious foreign websites

I’m a big fan of lemongrass and ginger (seperately or together). Lemongrass is also really nice mixed with mint

David’s also used to have a sage lemon tea I absolutely loved, but they stopped making it

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

distortion park posted:

At a Chinese restaurant (Tofu Vegan in London, highly recommended) they served some really nice tea on the menu as Traditional Tea. I asked and they said it was jasmine tea, it had a super mild floral flavour though and definitely an oolong base. Any recommendations for a specific brand that might be similar and is available in the EU? I don't drink much jasmine tea as it tends to be overly floral.

I ended up with a bunch of this jasmine oolong from Tevivre, and it’s nice and mild just like that https://www.teavivre.com/jamine-oolong-tea.html

I don’t normally like jasmine tea because it’s too floral, but I like this one because it’s perfectly balanced and you can still taste the oolong underneath it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

I’m certain this has been answered, but I couldn’t find it in the OP, I apologize. I’ve been spending the year getting much more into fine loose leaf tea. Oolong still eludes me somewhat, and I’m wondering if I’m making a simple mistake. Namely, am I diluting the tea too much if I’m brewing it in a standard western teapot, and making approx 8 oz of tea per teaspoon of leaves? It seemed to me that if you brewed it in the traditional manner, it might be much more concentrated due to a smaller volume of water. Every article I read online has slightly different methods but doesn’t seem to address this specific question. Thus far I’ve found oolongs to be pleasant but far too weak and subtle for my normal earl-grey drinking self. Am I doing it wrong?

As Heath said, oolong can be brewed longer. Also what fits in a teaspoon will differ depending on shape and size of leaf. If you have a kitchen scale you can weigh it instead to get a better idea. I tend to measure out between 3-6 grams per cup depending on what type of tea (lower for Keemuns and higher for Yunnans for example) and generally stick to about 5g per cup for oolongs

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

HIJK posted:

what's the scoop on microplastics and tea bags

I'm given to understand that most tea bags are now made with nylon which apparently makes them sheds millions of microplastics when you steep them. Am I 75% Lego now? Am I going to get cancer and die? Can I just cut open the tea bags I already have and then shake out their contents to use in loose leaf

I’m mainly concerned with compostibility so I stick to paper teabags (not plastic infused) when I can, usually the refillable kind for herbal teas that tend to gum up my filters

I think for plain ol grocery store black teas, Yorkshire Gold is plastic free, and the tea itself is better than most, so I stick to that when I need a simple bagged tea

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

One downside is no little tray to put the tea infuser when you remove it leading to a little puddle on the counter. Just have to remember to toss the leaves immediately not leave it for future me.

I have a little dish specifically for this because I don’t like throwing tea leaves in my compost when they’re super wet (and also some leaves can be resteeped). They make cute little tea bag dishes that also work for infusers, but I just went to a Chinese import store and bought a nice sauce dish for a dollar

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

tokenbrownguy posted:

Can anyone recommend more teas along the lines of Adagio's Yunnan Noir? I can't go back to English / Scottish breakfast teas any more.

That would be golden snail https://www.teavivre.com/dian-hong-golden-snail-black-tea.html

Very similar flavor to golden monkey, if you’re looking for more options.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Valicious posted:

Just brewed a 2010 raw pu-erh (my first pu-erh brew) and it is crazy bitter. I followed the guide on Yunnan. Did I do something wrong?

https://yunnansourcing.us/pages/brewing-guide-for-green-black-oolong-and-pu-erh-teas

Raw pu-erhs can be extremely bitter compared to ripened ones. You can try the above suggestions to try to tone it down a bit, but keep in mind bitterness is considered a feature of many young shengs. They tend to mellow with age

If you hate bitter, shou (ripe) pu-erh is the way to go

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Planet X posted:

Guy at the tea shop told me to just take the steeper with the tea in it, put it in a sealed container like a Tupperware and put it in the fridge

Yeah, I’ll stick tea leaves in the fridge for one more day if they’re not spent yet

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

A lot of bulk food stores also tend to carry it, if they have a tea section.

I also recommend buying empty teabags for chamomile, cause it gums up tea strainers like nothing else

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

What is Yorkshire tea made of, anyone know? An English friend is saying it's the "true brew" but it's not sold here and I don't want to import it. Can I blend it if I know what tea types they use?

Yorkshire Gold may be the best grocery store tea out there, but if you’re drinking loose leaf tea from a tea shop you’re already drinking better tea. With the Assam it’s more like an Irish breakfast than English breakfast blend, so if your tea shop has that, it’s the closest approximate. I tried subbing Yorkshire Gold for my daily Irish Breakfast when I wasn’t able to order from the tea shop for a while, and it was fine, but not good enough to replace the better tea shop blend long term

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Growing your own mint is so delicious and satisfying. It has a buttery texture you don’t seem to get with processed leaves, even after it’s air-dried. Using it fresh is even better though, and it goes on for so many steepings.

The stems are also full of mint oils, which steep just as well (I have a friend who just chews on them lol)

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Would boricha (barley tea) do the job?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I use lactose free milk. I dunno if it’s readily on sale where you’re at, but it’s gotten a lot more common

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

aldantefax posted:

It was a minute bing cha that was a gift from the tea shop. I think my companion was, uh, thinking it was chocolate.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I’ve been using a higher temperature for white, like 95C, as Teavivre recommended (though I am drinking lower grade white tea cakes because they’re so complex), and get much more robust and nuanced flavors that way.

Also more roasted oolongs take much higher temperatures, like 95C as well.

Pu-erhs I do full boil for shorter durations in a gaiwan, but I do a wash like Heath recommends.