Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

Lavender Philtrum posted:

edit: Worth mentioning I'm a trainride away from the city of Chicago and I'm willing to spend a silly amount of money on a cup of coffee/tea, so going to an Intelligentsia or something is possible. I just want to know what would be best for a first timer.

I also didn't like black tea for a while and started out by drinking herbal teas. I found it easier to get into whatever is the proper term for flavored teas (example: peach teas are awesome). Maybe give something like peppermint tea a try since it's so different from what you've been used to? You can get mint green/whatever tea if you want something that's not just herbal.

I don't know what Agadio's policies are, but the small local tea shop close to where I live will actually steep small sample amounts for free if you're not sure what you want or if you want it. (Unfortunately I live nowhere near where you do, so I don't know if there's anything comparable in your part of the US.)

I buy loose leaf tea at Central Market; if you have a similarly fancy grocery store where you can buy tea in bulk, you might be able to just buy small amounts of different things to try. I usually buy around an ounce to try something new out but could buy even less if I wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm mostly hesitant to try tisanes because I've had so many horrible ones in the past. I like a strong flavored tea, but not when its cinnamon and flowers and fruits and poo poo all thrown together. The chicory or dandelion coffee intrigues me, I may have to hunt some down.

Do you like mint tea? Mint tea is awesome. There's also a cheap, bagged lemon tea I really like (from HEB if you happen to live in Texas). Just don't get anything with only lemongrass; the one I'm thinking of has I don't even know what else in it and is a dark red.