Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I have seen people post pics of their travelling teaset and it included a portable water heater, water filter, and an assortment of gaiwan. He custom modded a suitcase to keep everything encased in foam. :catstare: I have had Two Leaves and a Bud brand teabags and they are decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks for the great info, aldantefax. What kind of gaiwan do you use? I heard it's a really good way of preparing oolong tea but I don't really know what to look for in a quality gaiwan.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

How important is getting the water boiling first and then letting it cool vs heating it up to that temp without bringing it to a boil?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Gunpowder is supposed to have a bit of a kick, to me it's kind of tobacco-y. But if it's not to your taste, definitely try changing the way you brew it. Could be the water is too hot, could be it's steeping too long or you're using too much tea for the amount of water. Keep playing with it until you get it where it tastes good to you.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

There's a trick of using lapsang suchong to smoked salmon and I swear one of these days I'm going to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I'm drinking Upton genmaicha right now and it's toasty and green, just the way I like it. I brew 2 tsp in 16 oz water from my office water heater which I believe is set at 180F for about 3 minutes. What all did you try?