Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
I have a little cast iron tea pot that I bought about a year ago but haven't really used because I'm incredibly lazy and have just been buying bags of tea. I really would like to start buying nicer quality tea and getting some use out of it though. It has a little mesh thing that you put in with the tea, but the couple of times that I made tea in it I just boiled the water in the pot and then dropped in the little mesh thing full of tea.

After reading the OP it seems that I was doing it wrong and I need a kettle or something to boil the water in, pour it into the pot over the tea leaves in the mesh thing, and then let it steep?

If this is correct, are there any good places to buy a super cheap kettle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
So I'm finally taking the plunge and buying an electric kettle. Does this one look alright to you guys?

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AWK-115S-X-Press-2-Liter-Cordless/dp/B000KDVTJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1317836639&sr=1-1

Also, would anyone happen to know of any good oolong or black teas that are sold on Amazon and prime eligible? I've only really ever drank green tea (the store bought kind that's in bags), so I don't really know my way around oolongs/blacks. I would also prefer it if it were loose leaf tea. I really want to start drinking good tea as soon as that kettle gets here.

edited for clarity

Koaxke fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 5, 2011

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Toadsniff posted:

There's this really great Chinese retaurant near where I live that uses the Foojoy bags, they are a lot larger than normal bags (used for a whole pot). It looks cheap as hell but it's drat good with an little bit of orange squeezed in and an almond cookie :)

I was hoping for more of a loose tea if possible.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth shelling out a few extra bucks to get a variable temperature electric kettle, or if this one isn't very accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Adagio-Teas-U...electric+kettle

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

It's okay but seems to be outclassed by most other kettles at similar price points as far as I've seen in this thread. I wouldn't dump mine or anything but it's certainly not ideal for stuff like mate or oolongs.

Do you remember any of them by chance? I looked through the first few and last few pages, but didn't see any of them.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
I'm still looking for a variable temperature electric kettle for ~$50-60. Any recommendations?

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Koaxke posted:

I'm still looking for a variable temperature electric kettle for ~$50-60. Any recommendations?

Anyone? :(

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

Trip report: Jasmine 1st Grade tea is pretty good. It's different. The flower flavor is definitely there but not nearly as "in your face" as the eternal life blend I have with jasmine blossoms just straight up in there. Definitely enjoyable.

I might have to spring for a temperature kettle here at some point. I generally just go by the rules of thumb based on the type of boil, but that's a bit inconsistent.

To try still, I have a pinhead gunpowder that is supposedly pretty good. We'll see how it stands against temple of heaven gunpowder.

I was also searching for a variable settled on this one and holy jesus it's awesome. The amazon reviews sum it up nicely.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
So based on someone a few pages ago talking about how lapsang shouchong smelled and tasted like a campfire, I decided to give it a shot. I went over to Upton and ordered a small package of it and it arrived today. When I first opened it, it smelled overwhelmingly of a campfire/BBQ. So much so in fact that I initially thought that I wasn't going to like it. However, after making a cup of it, I fell in love!

Thanks random goon who talked about it :)

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

enthe0s posted:

I have a roommate who is huge into Scotch and he doesn't like the lapsang. :iiam:

Is he into peaty scotches? If so, he is just a broken human being.

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
So after trying some genmaicha at my Zen center I fell in love. I went and ordered some from Upton, and no matter what I do it always comes out super bitter. Does their genmaicha just suck? If so, what is a place that sells super delicious genmaicha?

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009

aldantefax posted:

In general there are a couple of things that sound like went wrong:
  • Oversteeping
  • Water temperature too high
  • Product quality
Charmmi's guidelines are pretty solid. Genmaicha should have more of a toasty flavor from the rice kernels. If you're running into trouble, try checking the temperature and for how long you're brewing, since bitterness generally comes from those two things! Good luck buddy.

I first started with a TBSP with 14oz of water at 180 for 3 minutes. Then moved on to 2.5 minutes, and two minutes. Then I switched from a TBSP to 2 TSP with all of those same time incremements and each time it still came out too bitter. Then this morning on a whim I decided to try again and used 2 tsp at 176 for 2.5 minutes and it tasted fine.

Maybe those few degrees really made a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
I want to try a second steep on my teas, but is it cool if I just let the leaves sit in my ingenuitea while I finish my first cup? If not is there a certain way I should be storing them while I drink the first cup?

Also what teas are good for multiple steeps? Are there any that trend to be bad with multiple steeps?