Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

I wanted to chime in and say that I've ordered incredible tea from https://www.sevencups.com/
I really like the fact that they list when the harvest is from because I've found that teas really vary from year to year. I ordered some white tea in 2010 from the first harvest that year and it was just incredible. The quality of the leaves made my jaw drop to the floor. I also paid $26 for about an ounces but what the hell. The only other time that I've had anything remotely as good was when I got some o'sulloc green tea from Jeju island in South Korea right off the giant lava rock roaster they were using to roast the tea. Amazing stuff, tea. You'll pay out the nose for it, but it's soooo worth it.

Edit: should mention that I don't know if it would be worth it to buy some of their older teas - but I've found that teas do degrade/oxidize over time despite my best efforts to try and limit that. But if you really want to taste some good stuff, try their Shi Feng Long Jing (Shi Feng Dragon Well) Green Tea 2011 ($27.20 right now for 50g). I ordered this in July last year and it was definitely better than drinking it February this year.

noodlesinabag fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

The Entire Universe posted:

I have a fairly bad problem. I really, really enjoy the white teas, and while I can get passable at home (over the course of a loving long time experimenting with dropping pieces of ice into the water to attain the right temperature, then working on narrowing down the steeping time) at work we've got a hot water tap (you know, the kind they slap on the side of a coffee machine, it typically has a red handle, the water is basically superheated) which I am almost positive shoots out water that has no damned business being that loving hot (it makes my local tea shop's Irish breakfast taste like a mouthful of sticks and grass after ~4 mins steeping) yet somehow isn't immediately boiling.

Basically I'm wondering if anyone has any tips so I don't have to look like a prick with a thermometer and a stopwatch as an alternative to the current "drown that grassy taste in sugar" tactic I have.

I love white tea too. My tip is, if you don't have a thermometer ready, cooler is better than too hot. If I'm boiling water on the stove and I feel lazy, I wait for the little bubbles to start breaking the surface (consistently at about 1 bubble a second) of the water and the tiniest bit of steam to rise. This usually will be when the water's anywhere between 180 and 192 or so. I would suggest you test the water at your cooler once with a thermometer so you know how hot the water is... you don't have to do it every time, but that'll give you an idea of how much cold water to mix in the next time. Also, ~4 min is way too long for a white tea. My first steep is usually 2 minutes, 3 if I want an especially strong tea. My second is usually about 3 minutes, and 3rd, I just leave it in there. I don't know how people get 6 steepings out of their tea, by the 4th time, I find it too weak.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Koaxke posted:

I have a little cast iron tea pot that I bought about a year ago but haven't really used because I'm incredibly lazy and have just been buying bags of tea. I really would like to start buying nicer quality tea and getting some use out of it though. It has a little mesh thing that you put in with the tea, but the couple of times that I made tea in it I just boiled the water in the pot and then dropped in the little mesh thing full of tea.

After reading the OP it seems that I was doing it wrong and I need a kettle or something to boil the water in, pour it into the pot over the tea leaves in the mesh thing, and then let it steep?

If this is correct, are there any good places to buy a super cheap kettle?

I use a pot... as long as you know how to pour it in without spilling everywhere! :)
Also, I wouldn't worry so much about boiling the water separately. It's just easier to time steeping if you have a separate kettle, but it's not necessary. Just don't steep for too long, or boil your tea with your water. It sounds like what you're doing is just fine.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

I have this packet of tea:

A pile of them appeared at my former office and I don't remember who brought them there. I asked one of the Chinese people and was told that it was a very good 'Iron Buddha' tea, which I after some googling realize is Tieguanyin (鐵觀音).

It's actually whole leaves rolled into spheres, and they unroll and inflate in hot water. When I tried it at the office I just put some in a cup and poured hot water over it and let it steep for a long time.

Very fragrant stuff. I usually like bitter and plain black teas, like Ceylon teas, but this one was really nice.

So a couple of questions:

- What's the proper way of preparing this tea?
- If I would like to get more like it, what should I ask for?

I wrote glowing remarks about seven cups a few posts back (an online retailer and distributor that sources all of their teas from individual farms in China) but they have two styles on their site,

http://www.sevencups.com/tea_shop/Old-Style-Tie-Guan-Yin-Anxi-Wulong-2011.html

http://www.sevencups.com/tea_shop/High-Mountain-Tie-Guan-Yin-Anxi-Wulong-2011.html

You'll find all of the specific information on the respective webpage about the time harvested, picking conditions, etc.

I'm kind of curious to try the high mountain ti guan yin.....
As for how to brew, like DurianGray said, just put boiling water onto it, and let it infuse for 2-3 minutes for your first steep.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0080...CxdL&ref=plSrch
This is what I've been using for the last four years. Threw out all my infusers a week after buying it. You can buy smaller boxes of them too but I probably go through about 500 filters every year so it's much more price effective to buy the box of 1000 for me.