Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010
Ok, so I really love this one particular variety of (loose leaf) green tea at my local tea and smoothie shop, but every time I try to make it at home, it tastes generic and bland in comparison to how awesome it is when the proprietor makes the tea.

This happens with pretty much every tea I've bought from this shop, but it's particularly problematic with this variety of green that I genuinely love, which is why it is so aggravating. To more specifically describe the difference in taste, almost every loose tea I make at home just tastes like some bottom-shelf, supermarket, generic tea with no particular character or difference from one tea to another, but with the store-brewed stuff, I can taste all these subtler flavors, like fruit, spice, etc. I could probably differentiate every single different tea blindfolded with the store-brewed stuff, but all the stuff I make just tastes the same. My stuff is not quite as bad as the "soccer field" thing from the OP, but it's just the pits compared to how flavorful every tea is when made by the people working in my local store.

I've followed the directions as instructed but it still tastes like generic green crap (as bad as supermarket tea bag stuff) and the lady who owns the shop just looks at me like I'm retarded when I try to explain this with her. Hell, I may be a bit retarded when it comes to cooking but making tea shouldn't be all that hard.

http://www.tealux.ca/brew-in-mug_extra-fine_tea_infuser_with_lid?category_id=25

This looks similar to the infuser I use for my mug, could this be the problem? Should I use something smaller like one of those golf ball-shaped infusers?

I use my Zojirushi water boiler for the tea, could that be the problem? Should be boiling a pot on the stove?

Should I be brewing a whole pot rather than individual mugs?

Should I use more or less loose tea than I'm currently using? Could this be an issue with "crowding" the infuser?

Am I just brewing it too long?

Thanks in advance, the OP was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU