Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I've never tried having it in a gourd, but if it gets too bitter after a while for you, you can try steeping it like regular tea in a pot or using some sort of infuser in a mug. It might not be as 'authentic' but it gives you more control over the steeping process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I don't think that anyone has talked about that stuff specifically, but it looks like it's closely related to yerba mate (Ilex paraguariensis), which we have been talking about recently.

Have you had mate before? If so, do they taste similar? I'm assuming it might, but I'll admit that I've never had the Ilex guayasa species/variation before or heard of it unless it gets lumped in with mate sometimes.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Vahtooch posted:

Does anyone have any experience importing tea into Australia? I was just having a look at Adagio.com and it was saying you aren't allowed to import it.

If you check out the first page of the OP, there are a couple of Australia/New Zealand based vendors listed. I think the people who suggested them might have mentioned that it's difficult (maybe even impossible?) to get North American vendors to ship to that area. Some googling on import regulations gave me this http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8008657&intCommodityId=15146 and this http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

I think you can get tea in, but it's difficult or there's some sort of beaurocracy associated with it? I guess if you can't find a non-Australian vendor that'll send stuff to you, you'll just have to stick with more local vendors :(

Sanguinary Novel posted:

So I bought some matcha to try from a local tea shop thinking "It's just like making powdered hot chocolate! :downs:".

From what I read online, it suggests using a sieve to distribute the powder to prevent clumps and then use a bamboo whisk to mix the powder and hot water. A sieve I can do, but I really want to hold off on getting a specialized whisk until I try it. A regular whisk isn't the same thing, but will it do in a pinch? Or are there different ways to prepare it?

I think that if you put it through a sieve first you should be alright using a normal whisk or even a fork. The matcha whisks will be better at incorporating the powder into the liquid, but I think you'll be fine without one.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I actually just got some genmaicha recently too. I've only made it once so far but made sure the water wasn't too hot because of the green tea base. Come to think of it, I would guess that it might be even more sensitive to high temperatures since the leaf is so sparse and the rice kernels might not do as much to (slightly) lower the temperature of the water.

Sort of like when you put pasta in a pot of boiling water it has to reach boiling again because the pasta sort of cools it down. That's just a wild guess though.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
It might be a dumb question, but have you had Earl Gray before? There are a lot of places that sell variations on it beyond just black tea and bergamot, and those can range from not as citrus-y to punch-in-the-mouth citrus.

I would also recommend blends that have lemongrass in them (assuming you're not allergic? I've heard that some people are). A lot of those can be herbals, so that will help if you're trying to reduce your caffeine intake. Adagio's Blood Orange herbal is pretty good and I feel like it would probably mix well with a black tea if you wanted to cut the caffeine with a sweet/tangy orange flavor.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Enfys posted:

Assuming that you don't have the gear to drink tea gongfu style, what is the best way to enjoy oolong teas? I've also ready so many different things on brewing temperatures and times that I'm not quite sure what is best.

Oolongs can be kind of tricky because they can go from being almost-green to almost-black, so time and temperatures can change according to that. The best thing to do is just experiment with them and do multiple steeps. I have an oolong I got from Upton a while ago that has an ok first steeping, but the second steep is just delicious.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
That seems really weird that they won't tell you what it is. I just tried googling "Tropical Green Tea" and it looks like there are a few different brands that have blends by that name, but a lot of them list fruit flavors like pineapple and no mention of coconut. The one you're drinking probably does have some coconut in it I would think, so I'd try looking at brands with coconut and whatever other flavors you might like or that match the profile of the tea you've been getting.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm pretty much a black tea drinker - I love english breakfast and chai blends in the morning with a bit of sugar and milk. I don't dislike green/white teas but they're usually a bit boring.

Spring is here and I'd like to pick up a few types of green/white tea. Does anybody have any recommendations, preferably from Upton? Teas that would be great cold would be good bonus too.

Have you thought about maybe segueing into green/white teas via oolongs? I used to be more of an exclusively black tea person until I got into oolongs and that gave me more of a palate to start going for greens and whites.

I'm guessing that you probably like slightly stronger or more forward flavors? Maybe try a darjeeling (the second flush around June might be more your thing, they've got a stronger more muscatel sort of flavor). Japanese greens can be pretty powerful but more on the fresh-cut-grass side of things if that appeals to you. There are also some toasted sorts of green teas like hojicha you could look into.

I got the Magnolia Blossom Oolong from Upton sort-of recently and if you like things that are slightly flowery it's pretty great and lends itself beautifully to multiple steeps. It's light, but has a nice strong flavor at the same time.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
160 sounds really low to me. I have a Pai Mu Tan (also from Upton) and I've always done it around 180 and it turns out fine. If you're really worried, maybe go for a split at 170 and see how it turns out? The one that I have gives a decent second steep, so it shouldn't be a complete wash.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
For the people having trouble with strainers that let particles through, have you tried anything like these paper filters? http://www.adagio.com/teaware/paper_filters.html?SID=d2bd1bd726602a90537a331857f37d69 I got a pack a while ago with one of my larger Adagio orders (there are other companies that make similar ones though). They keep most of the dust and fannings out that mesh filters can't catch. I usually use them for rooibos or other herbals that have really fine particles (like flowers). Sometimes stuff will still get through, but it's so fine that it's like the small amounts of dust that come out of regular teabags and just settle in the bottom of a cup.

e: The paper filters are also really convenient for travel since you can just fold up a few and bring some sample size bags or tins of your favorite tea.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
A whole pound! I got a pound of dragon pearls a while ago (I think it was more than a year, and yes, I'm bad at following my own advice of not letting things sit around too long) and I've still got a bit of it hanging around in a tin I need to finish up. Luckily, it's held its flavor pretty well, probably because it's a yunnan.

This might be a stupid question, but you're storing it somewhere out of the sunlight, right? :ohdear: It'd be a shame for that much tea to go loose any flavor from too much light exposure. (It looks like you've just got some interesting lighting going on, I thought it was next to a window for some reason.) You have made me want to try some Lotus tea now, though; I'm a fan of flower-y teas like that.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

sleepingbuddha posted:

Dr. Oz (quack) was on the Today show talking about how you should steep green tea for 20 minutes! I was hoping one of the anchors would've tried it and instantly spit it out.

Gross! I'm guessing he was claiming that a longer steep time lets out more nutrients or something stupid like that? I knew the guy was crazy after seeing him claim that too much apple juice might give you arsenic poisoning, but now I know he's just plain dumb, too.

sleepingbuddha posted:

I got an Aeropress for my birthday. It makes great coffee. Has anyone tried to make tea with one?

I have access to one, but it's been used for coffee so much that I'm sure If I put anything else in it, it would come out tasting like espresso. I don't see why you couldn't make tea using one, but it seems like it'd be more of a novelty thing if you already have access to other steeping/brewing methods.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Oh, wow. Is it very humid where you live?

I would make absolutely sure that it's not moldy or anything first. Check all of it carefully; half a pound is a lot of tea. You could try drying it out somehow if it looks OK, and then put it in a better container.

I would err on the side of caution, of course. Any chance that it looks or smells like it shouldn't other than being a bit damp and I wouldn't want to drink it, personally.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Yeah, dirt is about what a rotten/mold flavor tastes like* :( Probably a safe bet that the berries are spoiled at the very least. Be aware that there's a decent chance that the tea leaves absorbed that dirt flavor even if you take all the fruit out.

*Butter also absorbs flavors far, far too well. Had to throw away that whole batch of cookies.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
How closely are you monitoring your tea leaf to water ratio? Other than time and temperature, that's the one other metric I can think of that can seriously effect how your tea is turning out.

I'm going to go an head and segue that into mentioning that some teas are more dense than others because of the techniques used to cure or "roll" them. Like a Dragon or Phoenix Pearl sort of tea is going to be super densely packed compared to something like say this http://www.adagio.com/green/earl_grey_green.html?SID=9f1f4898c4c8f1b9931062347846f4ae green tea where the leaves are hardly compressed.

This is a reason why some people use kitchen scales to measure out their tea instead of a tea-spoon. Personally, I just eyeball things and use trial and error to figure out what I like, but if you've got something that you really want to make sure you're making consistently, a reliable measuring system is a good idea.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Arcturas posted:

I haven't ever used them, but I can't imagine direct exposure to heat would hurt a cast iron pot. Honestly it'd probably be fine for most ceramic pots if you're careful or are willing to lose the pot if necessary. The cast iron isn't going to break or be damaged in any way - there's no way the fire will get hot enough to melt it or anything. With ceramic I'd just be worried about scorching the coating, or if the pot's exterior did a poor enough job transmitting heat that thermal expansion led to cracking.

Plastic pots, obviously, don't do it.

I think the problem with that is that a lot of "cast iron" teapots now come with enamel coatings on the inside, and sometimes paint on the outside. I honestly have no idea what kind of effect direct heat might have on the enamel. I guess there's a chance it could crack if the outside metal is heating differently than the enamel inside.

Ante, just keep in mind that tea pots and tea kettles are different things with different purposes. Think about it like this. You cook stuff in a pan, and serve it and eat it off of different plates. You don't put a plate on the stove to cook a steak. So, you don't put teapots on the stove either, only kettles.

So yeah. Heat the water in a kettle of some sort (electric, or stove. Don't put an electric kettle on the stove.) THEN pour the hot water into your teapot, or even directly into your mug or cup with the tea leaves. Tea light candles usually come with glass teapots (at least that I've seen) and the idea is that they just keep the tea warm and look nice. They're not intended to be used in brewing anything.

e: And if you're still in the market for a cast iron kettle, antique stores usually have some (at least where I live), but they might need some work before they're clean enough to use. Just make sure that the inside is cast iron and not coated in some way and you should be fine.

DurianGray fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 12, 2013

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I actually didn't know that you could even get powdered mate. I've only ever had it in sort of a crushed leaf looking form before and it never really struck me as bitter, just really earthy. Wikipedia is saying that the "Chimarro" is also called "Bitter Mate"*, so that's probably the cause of the flavor rather than just the preparation. Good to know it's not a deal-breaker for you though. I know it would be for me.

*Sort of? I guess it's a regional name too or something.

DurianGray fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 15, 2013

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I don't know if this really affects anyone here or not, but Adagio just got a Cease and Desist from Warner Brothers over all the Harry Potter themed 'fandom blends' on the website. They're encouraging people to rename and change the artworks on the effected blends.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get more C&Ds in the future from other IP rights holders. Personally, I thought it was really weird and kind of off-putting when they suddenly went whole-hog on embracing the fandom stuff with the custom blends (and the 'shipping' discount thing, what?). I'm not even sure if you can find a blend that isn't part of some fandom or another the way they have the page organized now.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Jasmine Dragon Pearls are usually greens from my experience, so make sure your water is around maybe 180-190F or so. I'd start on the lower temperature end with the Ti Guan Yin as well, most of the ones I've had are oolong-ish, so if a lower temperature isn't doing it for you try a slightly higher one. TGY should give you maybe 2-3 good resteeps (at least), so don't be afraid to experiment with subsequent steeps.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
http://ratetea.com/topic/caffeine-content-of-tea/21/ This page also looks like it has some more detailed information on caffeine amounts in different types of tea. At any rate, no tea leaf is going to have nearly as much caffeine as a typical cup of coffee does.

Oh man, a pound of tea is a lot to have laying around when you don't like it :( I usually never get more than 4oz (a quarter pound) at a time and even that can take me a while to get through. You might be able to swap it with someone else. There are a few tea-specific forums I've seen where people do that a lot.

As far as the Thai tea, it looks like they mostly just use a really strong ceylon brew and some sugar and canned milk or coconut milk is added to the top. (I'm assuming you mean this stuff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_tea ?) The local Thai place I get it from just uses sweetened ceylon and coconut milk I'm pretty sure.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Archer2338 posted:

On the other side of the coin, which tea has enough caffeine for it to be a coffee-substitute in the morning?

Regular actual teas aren't going to have all that much compared to coffee. You'd probably have better luck with yerba mate, it's got a hell of a lot more caffeine than tea does--almost as much as a cup of coffee.

And the people wondering about the fruit fermentation stuff, you might want to look at the homebrew beer thread, too. They use a lot of the same supplies from the sound of it and might have suggestions on dealing with pressure and sterilizing your stuff. And there are some beers that use fruit anyway, so that probably isn't outside their realm of knowledge. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437782

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Lady Truck Driver posted:

Tried the Laoshan Black again with less tea than the website recommended (1 1/2 teaspoons instead of a tablespoon) and it was much better. I can appreciate the malty quality now, even if I don't taste coconut milk or caramel like I was hoping. I'm still not very used to it, because I'm not used to black teas, but it's good. Apparently I just like it weaker 'cause I'm I puss.

I tried some iced Guayaki guayusa and it was not tasty at all. Maybe I should try giving it another chance? Is it better hot? I was also under the impression up til now that guayusa and mate were the same thing, for some reason.

If you don't have much of a palate for black teas, it can take a while to notice some of those other flavors. You'd basically just have to drink lots and lots of different black teas to notice those kinds of things, and even then, like other people said, some of those flavors are subjective. If you like greens or something else better, don't feel like you have to develop a palate for blacks. Drink what tastes good to you :)

And apparently guayasa comes from a slightly different species of holly plant than yerba mate does. I think I've had both of the Guayaki cold drink versions of those (you mean the bottled ones, right?) and they taste almost nothing like hot yerba mate does. It's not as nearly bad as say, Brisk canned tea compared to real tea, but you can draw some parallels. The hot stuff is REALLY earthy and takes a little getting used to, at least for me it did.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I've never been to a Peet's (looks like it's mostly a California/West Coast thing?) but they do sell the coffee out in Virginia. I checked out the steeping instructions for some of their green teas on their website and the home brew instructions do look a little bit odd. They all say to boil the water, then let it cool down to a specified temperature (never heard of that technique before and quite a few of the temperatures seem too warm for greens) and to steep anywhere from 3-5 minutes (!!!!).

If you're getting your tea at a store/cafe or whatever, I wouldn't be surprised if they do just use boiling or pretty near boiling water to steep it in. That's a big reason almost I never get anything but black tea at coffee shops (and sometimes even self-proclaimed tea houses :( ) because they always use the stupid boiling water tap! To be fair, there's a good chance they just don't have a slightly cooler tap for greens and since most coffee places don't sell much tea anyway it's just not a priority.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Hey Richmond-area tea friend :hfive:
I wish we had some actual tea places out here too. You'd think the local hipsters would be all over that kind of thing. There was that rather short-lived Realitea place on Cary St. For a while (toward VCU campus) but I never got a chance to go there before it shut down :( The only place I know of around Richmond that seems to still exist is called Feathernesters but they seem to be more of a home-decor place than an actual tea house.

There are actually a good amount of tea rooms/houses in the Shenandoah Valley area, oddly enough. There were two really great ones within about 10 miles of where I grew up for a few years, but they've both since shut down. One of them was what got me into loose-leaf tea in the first place, too!

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Hipsters do like their coffee, that's a good point. I know mate has gotten hipster-popular lately though, you'd think that would bring some in to the tea fold.

What's the deal with so many tea places multi-tasking their businesses? The really good ones that I mentioned before that are closed now, one was also sort of an antique shop, but it was mostly stuff like fine china and tea pots which at least made sense. The other place was in a house (turned commercial property) that was also an amazing yarn shop.

Anybody know if this a common thing outside of Virginia at all? I've been to a few other tea places there were seriously just tea and food, but that was in Delaware or Maryland or something.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Steve Yun posted:

I used to heat up water in my borosilicate pot and just assumed you could do the same for cast iron, but I guess not!

There is a such thing as cast iron kettles, but I really only ever see those at antique stores or in my grandma's basement. I'm talking about the kind that people would hang over a cooking fire to boil water back in pioneer days or whatever.

Probably not what you'd want to be making tea in, though. Modern cast iron pots are usually only for brewing from what I've seen.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

But Not Tonight posted:

Is it possible to save the leaves for later, if I only want a cup or two, and they still have a few brews left in them? I'm not talking for days, maybe just a couple of hours. Would they be fine just hanging out in the infuser until I'm ready to use them again, or should I put them in an airtight container?

You can absolutely reuse them later, especially if it's just a few hours. If I know that I'll want another brew within a few hours of the previous one, I'll usually just leave them in the infuser/pot until I get around to it. If, say, you're brewing some up in the morning and want to do a re-steep later that night, it would probably be a good idea to put them in a container of some sort just to keep the potential for more oxidation lower.

Just be sure not to forget to throw the leaves out when you're done with them for the day/night. I have several pots at several different places and forgot to clean one for a few days. It was... pretty gross :(

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I would certainly look at some Jasmine Pearls and Jasmine Phoenix/Dragon Pearls since they look to be pretty similar style-wise. They might not be quite as good as the Buddha's Tears, of course, but you could probably find an affordable alternative that's pretty close :)

Most of the Jasmine Pearls I've come across were also made with green teas I'm pretty sure, but they are usually on the lighter side so that the jasmine flavor can come through.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I looked at the Teapigs site and fiddled with some conversion calculators (I'm bad with grams to ounces and had to check what pounds to dollars is currently at) and at least to me it didn't look that expensive? Is tea generally even cheaper than that in the UK? I'm genuinely curious. From what I saw it looked like you could get quite a few of their teas for something like $14 for ~1/2 lb. of loose leaf which is a great deal compared to what I usually pay or see being charged in the US.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I have a few basic ceramic pots that I use all the time and a yixing that I use incorrectly (I just use it as an everything pot--there's not single style of tea that I put in it specifically. I don't really care about seasoning it because I'm a heathen). I also have a tiny glass pot that I got as a gift. It's pretty, but it looses heat so quickly that you have to drink fast or get stuck with cold stale tea.

Honestly, I just go for pots that either look nice or have the right capacity for the amount I want to drink at one time (usually 2~ cup pots). Heat retention is also good to note depending on how fast you tend to drink your tea.

Not to say that they can't when they're used properly, but I've never noticed the materials making a hugedifference, especially compared to how much of a difference temperature, time, and amount of leaf makes.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Listen here, honey. As a bona fide Southener let me tell you that all you need to get yourself is some generic store-brand black tea (a lot of it will just say "Orange Pekoe". It doesn't really mean much, it's just trying to dress it up fancy). Luzianne is OK, but really any common black tea should work.

There's a lot of ways to go about making Southern Style sweet tea but the one thing I've seen consistently is taking a lot of bags and steeping them in a relatively small amount of water for a long time (10+ minutes). This makes a concentrate (very important! the more tannins, the better the sugar works) that you can dilute some with plain water, add sugar to, and then usually pour over ice. Since it should still be fairly concentrated at that point, the melting ice doesn't water it down too badly.

My Great Aunt who has lived most of her life in Appalachia pours boiling water into a mason jar with about 8 standard size tea bags and lets it sit for about 10-20 minutes. It's still pretty hot at this point so it's good to add the sugar in then, next she pours it into a pitcher with tap water, then that (still a bit warm) is poured into glasses over ice. Fresh-picked mint leaves and lemon slices served on the side.

That aside, I've found that the best fancier loose-leaf teas that have the right taste for making sweet tea are probably Yunnans and Ceylons, but that gets a lot more expensive than just using the generic store-brands, obviously.

And this might be obvious, but you can really only use white granulated sugar and a lot of it. There's a reason that diabetes is horribly common in the deep south. Any other sweetener like brown sugar, honey, raw sugar, artificial sweetners, etc. just don't taste right for a traditional sweet tea.

DurianGray fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 4, 2013

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
The Dragon Pearls are a Yunnan, I'm pretty sure. I got Adagio's Lapsang about four years back (one of my first loose teas!) and it was waaay smokier than I had been expecting/wanting, having had the tea before, and I love that bonfire flavor normally.

I actually ended up leaving the tin open for an hour or so to let some of the smokiness dissipate and it was much more bearable after that. Not sure if I would do that now, but it worked as a solution to having way too much smokiness at the time.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I have two of the ManaTea ones from the same company. Got one for my birthday over the summer and a second for Christmas :3:

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

detectivemonkey posted:

e: ^^ beaten! Find yourself a red tea.

Haha! That's a great idea!

detectivemonkey posted:

It has razor-sharp edges on the design, and one hits exactly where I need to put my thumb for leverage when pouring.

Oh no! Maybe some really fine grit sandpaper would be a good thing to get to take care of that? I've gotten cut on ceramics/ceramic glazes before and it's not a good experience :(

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

The Rev posted:

1.Besides an electronic kettle, is there anything else that is mandatory or highly recommended? I drink tea when I am in the mood for it – I don’t need it first thing in the morning, or precisely at a certain time.

2.When attempting loose leaf teas, is there any special instruction other than steep at x minutes at y temperature? Also, is it true you can reuse tea leaves more than once? If so, how do you go about saving your leaves for the next use?

3.At work we have a nice filtered hot water machine, it puts out 175-190 degree water, can I make loose leaf tea using this machine, or do I stick to bags?

4.Is there a good starter pack from one of the OP’s websites that is often recommended? If it makes any difference, I would prefer to drink my tea plain, no added liquids/sugar/honey/etc. (I do enjoy the Chai, but I see that as more of a dessert-ish drink) I am more in the market for drink at work/with lunch/with dinner types of tea. For bagged tea, I have enjoyed black and green teas, but I am up to try just about anything you can recommend.

Sorry for the long post, I am excited for better tea. Thank you, Goons!

^^Just beat me! I'd forgotten that Upton has samplers, I'll have to try some!

Hey there! I'll try to answer your questions in order.

1. It sounds like you already have a kettle (the metal 'teapot') so you don't have to get an electric kettle if you already have a stove-top kettle. Electric kettles are nice, but I don't think they're a must-have if you already have a stove-top one that works. You probably don't want to steep tea in your kettle, just so you know :) You might want to look at getting a cheap ceramic teapot though if you don't have any pots. Many of them will come with little mesh steeping baskets so you don't have to worry about those tea balls. I've personally never liked tea balls all that much, they cramp the tea and are not fun to clean out.

2. The only other thing besides time and temperature is the amount of leaf you're using. Typically this is one heaping teaspoon of leaf per cup (or 8 oz.) of water. Some teas are more densely rolled than others so you might want to tweak that according to taste. You absolutely can reuse tea leaves! Typically you don't want to keep using them longer than maybe the same day you first steeped them (and I just leave them in the strainer until I'm done with my current cup of tea, then heat the water and make another pot). There isn't really a way to 'save' them longer than that, but I think some people will put them in an airtight container and put them in the fridge for use in the near future (like the next day). They will get moldy if left out too long.

3. You certainly can! Black teas might need a little bit longer to steep since the temperature is lower, and you might want to double check the temperature if you're trying to make more finicky things like greens or whites, but there's no reason you can't use is with loose leaf.

4. Are you in the US, or somewhere else? Honestly, I would say find a site that ships to your area of the world and poke around and get some samples and see what you like. Most sites offer samples, I know that (assuming you're in the US) Adagio has sample packs of various types of tea, usually sorted by green, black, oolong, etc. that are good for a crash course and not too expensive.

Does that cover everything?

Edit to say: I just added a bit to the OP about the difference between pots and kettles because it's come up before and so now there are reference pictures.

DurianGray fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 7, 2014

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I probably average out to having 3-4 cups of tea a day.

I have a ton of samples hanging around because I'm really bad about only drinking half of the sample and then forgetting I have it.

I mostly end up buying a few favorites every 4ish months in 3-4oz increments or so. Right now my regulars are genmai cha, Irish breakfast, a yunnan or yunnan-like, assorted chais, and this very specific Russian Earl Gray blend that a local tea shop makes. Those I will go out of my way to replace when they run out. I have a ton of other stuff I like a lot but just don't drink with as much regularity as those five.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I would say keep playing with times and temperatures until you find something that tastes good to you. I usually start on the lower end of times and temperatures when I have something new that isn't a black tea.

Hahah, Chinese Sencha. Yeah, I've certainly seen some teas that go more by the style than where they're grown. It can get kind of confusing, but as far as I'm aware most of the Japanese teas are designated by style rather than where they're grown. Chinese and Indian teas go more for the region as designating what it's called.

There are some teas that go more by the specific subspecies of tea bush than the region or style, so you can have Ti Guan Yins from places other than the Fujian province for example. I guess it's a lot like wines in that way? Some are designated by the specific grapes (zinfandel, merlot, etc.), and others by specifically where they were grown (Bordeaux, Champagne, Burgandy, etc.)

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

General Emergency posted:

I recently bought some Pu Ehr and that stuff literally smells like horse dung. It's tasty and all, but is it supposed to smell like that? I mean it is fermented plants in the end so maybe it makes sense.

I know the pu ehrs I've had have all had a pretty strong 'barnyard' aspect to them so I wouldn't say it's entirely out of place. Is it a specifically fecal smell, or more of a "I just walked through a horse stable in general" smell? The latter is more what I would expect/be comfortable with. I grew up in the country though, so farm smells mostly just remind me of home.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Fluo posted:

Could the OP add these three sites please? :)

Just did, thanks for that! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

ReptilePicasso posted:

Finally, I want to buy a gaiwan so I can use it as an alternative to my french press and look like ipman while drinking tea. Any suggestions? I see a bunch of them on Ebay for around $10 bucks but I am not sure whether that's the best place to buy one. Also, since I am buying a gaiwan... Can somebody quickly explain what exactly is the right way to prepare gongfu tea? Most of the websites list the amount of tea in teaspoons or by how full the gaiwan is so it would also be great to get weight measurements! Thanks everybody

$10 seems like a good price to me. I mean at the end of the day you're buying a ceramic bowl with a lid, it's nothing super fancy. I've never done gongfu before, but as far as getting weight measurements you'll probably have to figure those out for yourself for the most part. The majority of tea retailers I've seen assume people have measuring spoons, but not that they have kitchen scales that go into grams, so when you do see brewing instructions it's almost always in teaspoons.