Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Stuporstar posted:

A lot of bulk food stores also tend to carry it, if they have a tea section.

I also recommend buying empty teabags for chamomile, cause it gums up tea strainers like nothing else

Seconding the empty teabag recommendation. Nothing has been harder for me to get out of my mesh strainers than chamomile and rooibos (which are also great blended together).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Platystemon posted:

IDK if you have different mesh or different rooibos than I do, but it’s no problem to remove as long as I don’t let it dry.

Must be a lot different since it's actually easier for me to get it out when it's dry (I can kind of rub/gently grind the bits so they'll fall through). When it's wet the little bits get stuck through the holes and are too swollen to just rinse out.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

hifi posted:

What do people do with those single serving balls/wafers/cubes of tea? I have some "white tea dragon balls" i'm waiting to cool down after the first steep at 190 and I think ideally I would steam or rinse it a bit beforehand. Do people break them apart though? Will it tolerate a super long steep? Hotter water? Cheers.

Those ball/pearl teas, I've always just used the same as any loose leaf of whatever type of tea it is. The balls will open up with the hot water, and I can usually get multiple steeps out of a lot of them since they don't always tottally unfurl on the first steep, so there's still a good amount of flavor left for a second or third steep.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

What is Yorkshire tea made of, anyone know? An English friend is saying it's the "true brew" but it's not sold here and I don't want to import it. Can I blend it if I know what tea types they use?

Looks like the box says it's a blend of Assam, and some Kenyan and Rwandan-grown teas. I thought about ordering some (US Amazon has it - I think I only ever see PG Tips in the tiny British section of the grocery stores around me) to see if it's similar to anything else. But then I remembered I really don't like Assam so I probably wouldn't drink all of it.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

aldantefax posted:

I went on a first date with someone who took a whole thing of tea and ate it in front of me and I was like “well okay then”

They opened conversation afterwards with “so I went to college for economics and I think there should be poor people”

And I was like “so about this tea”

:dogstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

tokin opposition posted:

Having bit into some of the yellow stuff, I think it's dried lemon, but I'm not sure. The ratio I'm thinking of is:

3 parts lemongrass, 3 parts peppermint, 2 parts licorice, 1 parts apple and 1 parts lemon peel

Does this seem at all reasonable to you, my fellow "tea" drinkers?

Looking at the photo and ingredient list, I think the yellow stuff is mostly the licorice root and maybe some apple pieces. It doesn't list citrus peel at all so unless it's breaking food labelling regulations there's no lemon peel at all.

If the ingredients list is compliant with US regulations, it's also actually listed in order by weight already. So you might want to use that as a guideline for your ratios and have mostly licorice root, then dried apple pieces, then a tiny bit of peppermint and lemongrass (by weight at least). And since there's no lemon peel listed in the ingredients but you did taste something similar, that makes me wonder if they added some lemon-type flavoring to the whole thing (which would fall under the mysterious "natural or nature identical flavor" listing).

(I also loathe licorice root personally lol, but I hope that's helpful for you.)

e: spitballing here but I would probably start with something like 40% licorice root, 30% apple pieces, 15% peppermint, 15% lemongrass and see where that gets you. (If it's missing some citrus flavor after that you might need to add some citrus flavoring). I'd also recommend using a kitchen scale, or use this as an excuse to get one if you don't already have one.

DurianGray fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 17, 2024