Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's been my experience too. A simple mug infuser has been my office go-to for years. I rarely go for a third steep though.

That said, I haven't been in the office since mid-March and recently became full-time remote so... I don't know, maybe I can get all fancy now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Stuporstar posted:

This Finum strainer is my favorite. I like it because the basket is big, fits in a teapot or mug, and has a little hat to keep the heat in.

Is that what it's for? Because I've only been using it as a coaster once I take the strainer :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Mini pu'erh bricks! :3:

I straight up forgot I got them a long time ago but hey, that's actually a good thing in this case.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
For what it's worth, tea which is either naturally superfine (e.g. rooibos) or gets dusty towards the bottom of the tin (all of them) tends to escape any ball/spoon contraption I've used.

The absolute best solution* I've found has been the Finum brewing basket. You can get them from a bunch of places, and they're absolutely worth more than the $10-12 you'll pay for them.

* for single cup brewing, although I imagine they'd work in pots too.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

jetz0r posted:

For tea stuff, I tried out this sampler and really like the russian earl gray (lemon grass, orange peel, and tea), and french earl grey (hibiscus and tea). Anyone have some suggestions for similar teas that I should try? I like the hearty black tea plus lighter citrus or flower notes in those two.

They're my go-tos for nearly all flavoured teas, so I've pitched them before (and probably bored everyone at this point) but you might want to try stuff from Harney & Sons and Mariage Freres.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I gotta ask about this:

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

•Spent leaves: try throwing your spent leaves in the fridge after a hot session with a quality puer, red, or white. Many people have reported good results with red teas doing this.

I don't doubt it, but I have to assume that (a) the quantity and time will be significantly different vs doing it with fresh leaves, and (b) you probably don't want to mix different spent teas?

Not gonna lie though: I'm tempted to mix up spent leaves from like a vanilla black tea and a rooibos and just see what happens.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Irony.or.Death posted:

What I've been doing, as a reference point, is throwing my post-session leaves in a thermos full of water and then just putting that in the fridge until I feel like drinking something cold. This usually ends up being between 8 and 72 hours later - you can certainly get away with less to have a drink that tastes like more than water, but I'm "done" with the leaves at this point so what do I care about precision?

Just did this with a small jar and some Harney black vanilla tea. Small stakes!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I've bought from a nearby place: https://catspringtea.com/

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

BrainParasite posted:

A place to hide money from your government of choice.

I like tea and watches. What does it say about me that my (consumption) hobbies have bribery and money laundering undertones?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Would it be too on-the-nose to get a "winter blend" with Christmas-y spices etc. for your kayakers?

I lived in western NY for 5 long-rear end winters and a cup of one of those would really hit the spot after trudging through the snow. Back in the day I went through one of these (out of stock) and settled on a couple of a permanent rotation. Of course, I don't remember which ones -- I've since moved to TX and haven't had the same impulse for wintery teas.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

isaboo posted:

How long do y'all allow your freshly steeped tea to cool before drinking it?

I know very hot drinks can cause esophageal problems, but I read somewhere that letting it cool too much will destroy the flavor profile.
Six minutes was the suggested time based on SCIENCE

Do you have preferred cooldown times for different teas?

I've been drinking mine with milk since I started exclusively WFH last year due to, you know, The poo poo.

Anyway, even a small splash of milk brings it down from scalding-hot to pleasantly-hot.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

StrixNebulosa posted:

too much tea

:thunk:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
First time I've heard of these pots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EePjNxfkOg

quote:

A zisha teapot typically holds one cup of water and can cost between $150 and $90,000.

There are "it is believed" qualifiers about what makes these so special. Get that Taster's Choice guy in here, let's blow this thing wide open!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Gonna place an order for the sticky rice pu'erh from Yunnan Sourcing -- any other recommendations so it makes the shipping worthwhile?

Nowadays I mostly drink black and pu'erh teas, so maybe a sampler?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Can anyone recommend a teapot for western-style brewing? I find myself drinking 2-3 cups in a row and the boil-steep-drink-repeat cycle would be fine if I weren't so frequently on calls.

Since my cups are spread out over 30-45 minutes I think many teapots wouldn't really keep the tea all that hot, which is why I haven't really looked at them so far but hopefully I'm wrong. I'd be using a Cuisinart water kettle and have a couple of brewing baskets, so having a built-in one isn't necessary. Ideally it would be dishwasher-safe though.

(I'd actually like to support a ceramicist local to ATX, but teapots do not seem to be a thing with most of them)

Comedy option but also holy gently caress this is a great Cronenberg-rear end teapot:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you all for the suggestions!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You're not wrong, a tea station at my desk would be ideal. The catch is in my tiny office/desk situation where every horizontal surface has been spoken for. Having a place to brew but also keep milk, honey/sweeteners, for leaf disposal... it's just not in the cards at the moment.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Paris is excellent. I also like their Vanilla and Earl Grey Supreme.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I've enjoyed this chai recipe a lot recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxLm0jmazq8&t=72s

(timestamped to the "real deal" recipe; I personally prefer leaving out cloves and instead adding cinnamon and nutmeg)

However, it's a faff to make when you're dealing with Zoom calls and a profoundly needy/ancient dog, esp. given the multiple boilings that need attention so the stove doesn't turn into a complete disaster area. Is there any somewhat respectable chai "just add hot water" concentrate out there anyone could recommend?

I have no delusions about a concentrate being as good as the real deal, esp. because the real deal involves evaporated milk which is a total cheat code. This would be more of a "satisfy the craving" kind of substitute.

And despite asking for concentrate suggestions, I highly recommend making this when you have the time. It's a delight, if potentially ruinously caloric... like all good things in life :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh, that's clever! What spice quantities do you use when making that? I usually need a starting point to adjust from, kinda like the YouTube video I linked.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Those are good tips -- thanks! I was thinking more along the lines of how much (for example) cardamom you use per a can of evaporated milk, but it's also most likely a matter of personal preference.

It's the kind of thing that's tough for me to gauge since I'll crush 4-5 pods to use when doing the hot brew version, so to me :iiam: how much that would translate to when doing the cheat version.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I went looking for a teapot myself a few months (?) ago, forgot, but started circling one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1801-16US4-Teapot-Stainless-Filter/dp/B00E99MPRO/

There are also a few other possibilities listed here:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-teapots-4154706

But given that I haven't actually pulled the trigger on any of them, buy at your own peril :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks, I went with the one at the top of the list on spruce eats because it comes with a cozy for the pot. We'll see what we get!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074N9NGCP/

Awesome! Post a review when you get a chance please :)

FAT BATMAN posted:

Hello! My throat is sore. What’s a good tisane/blend to try so my throat doesn’t hurt so much?

If you do like licorice (I only do when I'm sick because... :iiam:) I found that the hideously-named Throat Coat works well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

H110Hawk posted:

<<review posts>>

Thank you :tipshat:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm a big fan of Harney, with the caveat that I only drink their black teas, almost always of Indian origin and flavoured. Couldn't tell you what their other offerings are like.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

aldantefax posted:

I resteep a teabag usually up to four times ask me anything

How Dutch are you?

https://dutchreview.com/culture/heres-the-tea-dutchies-have-no-idea-how-to-drink-it/

(I know you're not, just sharing... that)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Eeyo posted:

Anybody have a preferred place to get loose leaf chamomile? I've been drinking some before bed but I'd like to get some high quality loose tea to drink.

I was introduced to Harney & Sons' chamomile recently. I had only bagged chamomile before but this stuff has entire flowers:

It's the most fragrant chamomile I've ever had. The taste is nowhere near as strong, but I don't think it's supposed to be.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's not what SoUncool is looking for, but this chat reminded me of Arabia Finland and their stuff from the 60s. Just look at this:

I love it. One day, when I'm not living in a cramped shoebox...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Reading this and making :chloe: faces:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/pg-tips-tea-60-seconds-b2411220.html

quote:

Tea enthusiasts are up in arms about a new teabag in the works from PG Tips, which promises to brew in just 60 seconds.

But! I can't even blame them for making a quick-brew version of their trash tea when:

quote:

In its research, the PG Tips found that 85 per cent of tea drinkers leave the bag in to brew for under a minute, while a staggering 45 per cent bin their teabag after less than 30 seconds.

Come on

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'd suggest finding a place where you can try that kind of preparation first. If you're lucky / live in a large enough town, there may be a tea house where you can try stuff out before dropping coin on something that maybe isn't your thing. And it would show you how it's supposed to be done, assuming the place is any good.

I say that because I've found over the years that I much prefer the combination of Indian teas and Western-style preparation. If I had tried gongfu first, I don't think I would've kept going. Very much not trying to dissuade you from trying it though -- you might find the exact opposite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I like Harney & Sons, although most of their popular stuff is India-sourced and western-prepared.

But if you find a loose leaf you really like, you can always make your own tea bags with it.