Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Eeyo posted:

I bought a big thing of Alokozay "Vietnam Loose" green tea a while back. I've really grown to like it a lot, it's got a chocolatey flavor, it was very evident when I put some honey in it once. Are other teas grown in vietnam like that? Maybe there are a bunch of twigs in it or something, or maybe it's roasted. I just want to get something similar when this runs out/gets stale.

I can recommend the laoshan black from verdant tea, which has a lot of chocolate and malt flavors. It's out of stock right now but it looks like they are getting some in real soon. Their 5 for 5 deal is great value (5x5g of tea + a $5 coupon) but there isn't any date set on when that will be in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

What do people do with those single serving balls/wafers/cubes of tea? I have some "white tea dragon balls" i'm waiting to cool down after the first steep at 190 and I think ideally I would steam or rinse it a bit beforehand. Do people break them apart though? Will it tolerate a super long steep? Hotter water? Cheers.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Laoshan black or green smells like straight up vanilla heavy chocolate. Not sure this will help with your marital problems but maybe it's a start.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I picked up a cheap gongfu set and my review is that it's only interesting to me for maybe a third of the tea I have and it's easier to screw up say the initial infusion and then the rest of the tea is over or under extracted. For example I wouldn't use it for sencha because it would turn into sawdust soup or something, and stuff like western black tea will at best just taste like a properly western-brewed mug or teapot.