Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

aldantefax posted:

Thanks! I'm debating what to do with the worn down portions of the table - refinishing seems beyond what I might be capable of (or rather how much energy I'm willing to expend on supplies right now), but I have some spare Sugru lying around so I could mold bumpers over the damaged parts that could blend in and also protect the areas from moisture.

You could try buffing some shoe polish into it, but it looks like it's worn instead of scratched so it probably won't work unless you rough it up and then you're getting towards refinishing and it's just not worth it.

@Thoht That's one of my favorite Darjeelings year after year. I'd buy it in bulk if my wife wouldn't make me sleep with it in the garage if I don't drink up the rest of my tea first.

Chamomile is a grass. It's why it tastes like grass. I can't be around it because it makes my allergies go WTF and it feels like my head got kicked for the rest of the day. I'm a fan of Hibiscus by itself. It has a sort of acidic/sour taste that's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DurianGray posted:

So getting back to tea, I bought this stuff called just "1776 Blend" from a tea vendor at a festival a while back and love it but of course the vendor doesn't seem to sell it on their website.

Google found me about a dozen other places that sell something with the same name for prices that vary from $2-5 an oz. and they look to be the same tea (some even have the same descriptive copy but different packaging). I'm not usually into blends other than Earl Greys so does anyone know if that's typical for the flavored or blended market? I guess they're all just buying this from a wholesale supplier and not mixing it themselves, so I'd love to find out who the hell the company actually making this stuff is.

Did you try calling or emailing the vendor you first got it from? They may be able to sell it over the phone or at least tell you where you can find it. My experience with small vendors is usually pretty good when you're asking to give them money.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm looking for some new Long Jing (Dragonwell) and want to see what else I can get out of that particular style. Anyone have any that they've really liked in the past? I'm not looking to spend $10/1oz or anything super pricey, but I would like something that's got some good leaves.

Edit: Never mind, I found some at teavivre.com that suits my needs. It'll just take a month to get here.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 15, 2016

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Astrotrain posted:

If you're in a country that has epost, consider paying a bit more for epost shipping from teavivre. I get orders via Canadapost epost from teavivre in under a week. It's only like 7 dollars too.

Also their dragonwell is pretty good. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Is that the USPS international option? I'd never seen that before and I didn't end up paying for shipping. It helps when I'm not in a rush. I'm finishing off some High Mountain Green from Taiwan and a few ounces of Chun Mee which is also pretty good. I also have a couple of cubes of Hei Cha that are tasting really good right now. I think it's because it's getting warmer and I have less interest in drinking a cup of hot black tea right now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Between 2 people we can go through 2-4qts of iced tea a day in the summer. Black, green, sweetened or not, it's yummy and refreshing on a hot day. I can drink hot tea 3-4 times on multiple infusions and I do about 1.5 cups at a time. Without multiple infusions it's maybe twice in a day.

I doubt that you can ingest enough oxalic acid in a day or week from drinking tea to really make a large negative impact on your body. Not to mention it'll get passed fairly quickly with all the excreting you'd be doing from drinking so much tea. Considering that many people have been drinking such a very large amount of tea for so very long, I strongly doubt that it'll be a problem. I've known people in the south who drink 4qts a day by themselves. Oxalates are the least of their health concerns.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Oh, you mean the super processed and crushed leaves that are done to the point of steeping for 6 minutes in cold water? If there's one thing in common there, it's the low grade tea that's been crushed up and put in tea bags and then drank at high concentration.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Zelmel posted:

The bigger thing for southern sweet "tea" is that it's insanely sugary. Like 1 or 2 cups of sugar per gallon.

It's why I'm surprised it wasn't something else that got him.

I lived in the south. I never knew anyone to put more than a cup of sugar in, but cheap tea never really was my thing. My octogenarian neighbor made real southern sweet tea, but it was wonderful and not those cheap bags and she didn't over-sweeten either. Sometimes we even got mint. It was wonderful. Also, everyone's grandmother apparently does it differently.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Astrotrain posted:

If you're in a country that has epost, consider paying a bit more for epost shipping from teavivre. I get orders via Canadapost epost from teavivre in under a week. It's only like 7 dollars too.

Also their dragonwell is pretty good. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I just got this package with the Premium Long Jing and the Tie Guan Jin. It took 10 days via China Post and it was the free shipping option. Otherwise it would have been $4. Good deal and I'm looking forward to drinking all of this far too quickly. They're taking preorders for this year's releases last I saw. Should be out soon if it isn't already.

Edit: The Premium Long Jing is wonderful too.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 27, 2016

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Crunkjuice posted:

I use a travel mug for tea at work since i don't have the time/space to properly do loose leaf tea. I went into teavana today just to check it out (super new to tea btw) and they showed me their contour travel mugs with infusers in them. Thermos makes this guy for 28 http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Insulated-Stainless-Tumbler-Infuser/dp/B00JTUUOW6/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen . Are there any other recommendations for these types of bottles? The teavana one looks good, but its 32 bucks and some of the reviews aren't super favorable for its durability.

Get the thermos one. I've never been disappointed by thermos, but I do exactly what that one does, but my system is cobbled together and I have to wait before screwing it on and going. I have a much larger thermos that I use for tea and it's been amazing. It will also keep your beverage warm for a fair bit of time. Every other to-go mug I have ever used keeps things drinkable for an hour or two. My thermos kept it within 5 degrees of temp for 2 days once. This one will not do that, but it will keep it hot for a much longer amount of time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Juaguocio posted:

It's that time of year again...

https://www.teavivre.com/sale/anniversary-celebration.html

"Lucky is also your power"

I have a love/hate relationship with this time every year. They have a lot of wonderful tea. Even going through customs, the delivery is really pretty fast. The Premium Long Jing is really very good. Their Tie Guan Yin is pretty green, and also pretty tasty. Sale starts August 2.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
For whatever reason, I decided to weigh my tea today instead of grandpa methoding it and now I remember why you're supposed to measure it.

It's either that or this Ceylon Black is really just resonating with my palate today.

Also, teavivre needs to have fewer sales, because I can't drink as much tea as I want to buy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Currently, I make iced tea in bulk using these paper filter bag things, but they always open up midway through steeping and I end up having to filter all the leaves out. My wife mentioned wanting to get me one of these tea makers for my birthday. Does anyone know anything about them? Teavana has these in a gift pack with some sugar and a tea tin for $35, which seem OK given that that thing's $30 on it's own. However, I see reviews saying the seals leak. I found a similar one from Adagio that has much better reviews, but it's the same price as the Teavana one and listed as 28 oz instead of the 32 oz. Does anyone have any opinions on these? Or maybe a better recommendation?

Can't you just tie the paper bags shut with cooking string? It works for me.

I have the Adagio one and it's very nice. It's easy to clean and everything comes apart easily enough where I wasn't concerned about breaking things. I'd go with the Adagio one just for that reason. I've never had it leak on me, and I pull it apart frequently after using it. So long as you keep the rubber gasket happy, it won't leak. I would have thought you could find replacement gaskets, but I can't find them on Adagio's website. I've had mine for a couple years and it's still great after regular use.

I avoid teavana like it's carrying the plague because of all their excess baggage in claiming health benefits, blending so much of their tea, and selling what I've found to be inferior product. That teapot might be fine, but I'd rather go with Adagio anyway.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Trabant posted:

Hello tea people. I have a preparation question that had no mention in the OP or last few pages: do you have a go-to way of making tea lattes? Internet points to two approaches: (1) brew a strong cup (twice the tea in half the water) and add steamed milk, or (2) brew directly in milk+water combination (in a saucepan?) and strain.

I typically don't like milk in my teas, but dig the Earl Grey lattes I've had. Plus I really want to see how Yerba Mate (I've been drinking Republic of Tea's whole leaf) would work in a latte.

I would brew stronger, and vary the amount of tea I'm starting with based on the amount of liquid I expect to have in the cup or possibly stronger even to balance the milk. I'm not sure how you'd make a latte by steeping it in a saucepan as that's not steamed milk, but the saucepan method is also something you can certainly do (and is often done with chai spiced teas).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Thanks! We ended up ordering some smaller amounts of a few different things, and we're going to bust em up and try em and then order more. For the puerh we went for the top seller - http://www.teavivre.com/ripened-aged-pu-erh-tuocha/ - because it seemed easier for us to share.

I'm definitely going to try yours next time.

That's somewhat odd timing, because that's what's in my cup this morning. It's not bad, but I've had better. It does have a bit of the funky woody and earthy flavors, but for my tastes, it's a bit tame. It's not bland, but it's single note doesn't leave me really wanting the tea often. It's a good introduction to pu-erh at least, but you'll find some better ones out there without increasing the price range much.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Yeah it's not my first initial introduction - I've bought poorly-labelled cakes from Chinese grocers before and had samples at tea expos - but it's the first time I've ordered any kind of "proper" puerh. My coworker is a total novice, and she might be turned off by too much funk. When I think puerh I tend to think of mellowed out black tea flavours - doesn't taste like twigs!

I'm about to make some decent long jiang for her and for another coworker who claim to dislike green tea, but who also confessed to only ever having tried Lipton bagged green tea.

Yeah, this doesn't taste like twigs, but it's just kind of a mild pu-erh. Makes me wish there was more to it. Multiple infusions, longer steeping, it all doesn't seem to make much of a difference for this one. When I saw woody, it's not a twig flavor either, it's a sort of flavor/aroma that reminds me of a copse of trees that have lost their leaves in autumn. Sort of sweet, sort of mellow, with a hint of the smell of old books.

Teavivre had some really awesome long jing this year. It was the Premium Long Jing that was just great. I enjoyed it for 3+ steepings, but they recommend a higher temp for brewing on their label than I used. Their temp was too high and I was getting off flavors because of it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Comb Your Beard posted:

Has anybody tried a large variety of jasmine greens? Teavivre has a few different options.

I was brewing this stuff mixed 50/50 with some cheaper jasmine green from the grocery store. Super floral. Sadly I ran out of my 1/2 kg.
Silver Jasmine Green Tea (Mo Li Yin Hao)
http://www.teavivre.com/silver-jasmine-green-tea/

Haven't had this, it's a bit more $.
Mo Li Piao Xue Jasmine Green Tea
http://www.teavivre.com/mo-li-piao-xue-jasmine-green-tea/

The pearls seem a bit more gimmicky, also I think they are more pure jasmine and less green tea taste, also more $. They look pretty though.
http://www.teavivre.com/jasmine-dragon-pearl/

I tend to get tired of tea varieties quickly but jasmine green is the one thing that has stayed with me. Also if anyone has any other sites than Teavivre.

There are a bunch of sites in the OP, but you'll still have to search through to find your jasmine greens. I don't care for the jasmine part and there aren't many greens that I really truly enjoy. The ones that I do really enjoy have mostly come from Teavivre with the exception of one high mountain green from the Tea Source.

Edit: You could also just search for greens and add some jasmine separately. You'll get more variety that way. Tea shops tend to not blend the very best because they often get over run by the the florals.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 9, 2017

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bees on Wheat posted:

Yeah, I tend to just add dried jasmine flowers to my tea, so I can choose how floral to make it. Same with chrysanthemums, roses, and other flowers. I think I paid about $2 for 1.5oz of plain dried jasmine at a Chinese convenience store last time I bought tea there. Then a week later someone gave me a bag of the same stuff, from the same store, "in case your poo poo isn't floral enough". My friends know me so well. :j:

Then again, I'm not terribly picky and will also buy the little $2 tins of jasmine and oolong teas there because why not? More tea, more variety, and if it's terrible, I'm not out much money. Some of my favorite daily drinkers are cheap things I've found at Chinese and Vietnamese markets around here.

On a related note, I may have made a resolution to drink most of the tea I already have before buying more. Then my husband bought me tea for Christmas.

Christmas is last year, you're still good for this year. I'm in the same boat. I have to drink out my drawer which became two drawers full of packets. I still reach for the PG Tips on a regular basis though, because sometimes you just need a mediocre cup of tea with a bunch of milk. Not all tea is the same quality, but you can drink them all. My wife brought me a couple tins of tieguanyin and long jing from Shanghai once and they were solid cups. They weren't amazing, but if you only drink amazing tea, there's no longer anything special about it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mojo1701a posted:

I even bought a cheap french press as my first teapot. It was lousy for coffee, but pretty good for tea.

The trick with using a french press for tea is to put the tea on top of the press so that you can filter and remove it when it's time steeping is up. Not the greatest when you're doing multiple infusions, but amazingly easy to clean and super simple for single infusions.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
TeaVivre is releasing Spring Teas and having a sale. There's a little quiz where you can win $10 off and you can enter their drawing for some free tea.

http://www.teavivre.com/sale/spring...ourself_png#st1

The spring teas are starting to get released too. Only the She Qian and Ming Qian Longjing are available so far, but I'd expect more by the end of the week.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Was just doing this little quiz, and looking at their tea storage recommendations and see they suggest storing tea in the fridge. Does anyone do this? I usually just keep things in airtight containers in my cupboard/a cabinet at work.

I keep them sealed in a cool and dry place in my cupboards. They do recommend refrigeration, but I've never seen anyone else say that. It's not probably the worst place to store it, but I don't have room enough for an refrigerator for my tea.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I'd like to buy my first Gaiwan set. I drink mostly Japanese teas but I prefer the Gaiwan to Japanese teaware. Does anyone have recommendation for a place to buy teaware online that isn't going to take 4 months to ship to the US from China?

TeaSource used to have a few Gaiwan cups, and the other US sites probably have something similar to this too https://www.teasource.com/collections/teapots/products/snow-white-gaiwan-teaset They ship USPS ground for what it costs them to send it, but it looks like it's just the one on their website now. SevenCups looks to have a few more, but I've not purchased anything from them before, but at least one other goon has. Check the first post for more links and options.

I know you don't want to wait 4 months to ship from China, so you should use TeaVivre if none of the options are what you want. It only takes a two weeks usually, and a few times it only took a week when I was living on the west coast. Their teas are good quality as well.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

You guys'll recall me asking about brewing iced green tea a few days ago. I forgot to post about it, but i tried both brewing hot and chilling, and brewing cold overnight in the fridge. Between the two, brewing hot produced a stronger, slightly bitter tea(almost definitely slightly over-steeped), and the cold brew produced a much milder, floral tea that was overall better, but didn't take to sweetening via simple syrup as well for some reason.

Anyway, I've got a few sample size bags of loose leaf black, rooibos, oolong, and white to try as well. Do the same general rules for cold brewing apply as well to all of those, or are they different between the different types?

Black teas, most herbal, and rooibos will all need to be hot steeped. You should account for the extra water you'll be adding in ice form, so I usually go double strong for it. Oolong I would also brew like normal but stronger, but I'm not sure how it would taste after sitting in the fridge. Unless it's a green oolong, it probably won't take well to a cold steep.

Best way to find out what you like is to make a bunch of mason jars full of samples and go from there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

vermin posted:

I've been drinking cacao nibs steeped in water in a teaball cause it sounded like a good idea at the time.

Anyone else done this before? Would there be any health benefits or are health benefits from tea generally malarkey? Would you consume the spent nibs or just throw them out?

Since they're beans I guess technically they'd be a coffee.

The only 100% verifiable health benefit of drinking tea is that it's capable of hydration* due to all that H2O you're steeping it in. Anything else is just pop culture 'science' until you see something with scientific data with repeatable results.

*There's caffeine though which is a mild diuretic and will encourage you to express that hydration.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Iced tea words

There's a good amount of chatter about this only a page back. You can do anything from cold steeping to hot steeping and then chilling. Sun tea as you've already figured out is another option, but the key to good tea is starting with good tea. Find a tea that you like that is also hopefully fairly cheap and use it.

The thing that I tend to like is brewing a nice tea stronger (regardless of method of brewing) to make up for the ice that I'll be using. So if I'm doing 3:1::tea:ice, then I'll want to make the tea while considering the additional water in the ice. I start with a ratio of 3 grams to 6 fl oz. The good stuff I usually have unsweetened.

Sometimes I just want the sweet, and in that case Luzianne cannot be beaten. I do 2qts of it to 1/2 cup of sugar. I know some will go a full 1 cup, but goodness me that is just too sweet for my northern taste buds.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

effika posted:

Part of it is the leaves themselves-- salmonella is a contamination concern.

Mostly E. coli. Salmonella isn't really going to hang out on the tea leaves, but it could in untreated water sources.

Sun tea is mostly fine. It does place the liquid in the temperature zone where bacteria like to grow, but they'd first have to be there, then they'd have to deal with the effects of the chlorine in most people's water sources, and then they'd have to actually reproduce. I'd be more worried about the spigots on those sun tea containers getting full of bacteria from not being washed well with a decent surfactant.

I'm not really sure why you'd need to do it though. Just pop the tea into the container and leave on your kitchen counter in the dark or in the refrigerator. It'll taste pretty much the same. I always figured it was a "I have no space on my counter, go put this outside on the porch" solution to needing it made.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

Picked up these two at Wal-mart:

Grabbed the rooibos based on recommendations here, and I saw the loose leaf EG, so I got that on a whim. I may go back for some Chamomile or others next week.

If you like the rooibos, I'd recommend finding it from most anywhere else. There's a bunch of online tea shops in the first post that will have it in herbal blends, and they'll all be much better than anything Twinings does. They'll be loose options and many just a little more $/serving, but it's herbal, so you can just stick it in a travel mug with a mesh basket and dump boiling water in on it and be fine.

Some of those shops will also have some other decaf options, and tons of loose leaf everything else to pick from. Quality of it will also be better than Twinings. Grocery store tea bags tend to not be great, unless your goal is to brew something overly strong and drink it with milk/sugar. That's when I reach for Yorkshire Gold or PG Tips. They're very near the same price/bag as Twinings, but still for me taste much better with milk and sugar.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

If I wanted to fill a 32oz tumbler with Earl Grey tea, about how many teaspoons/ounces of leaves would I use? I've got a scale.

Greens I normally start around 170-180F and adjust from there. Oolongs I start around 195-200 and most Black teas are just off the boil.

My rule of thumb for mass is 3g to 8oz of water. Some need a little more, some are spot on. I've never needed to go less than that ratio. I used to routinely make a 68oz thermos full of tea and scaling up with that ratio brought me great success regardless of which tea I'd decided to make for the day. Oolongs and greens I would mix 1st and 2nd steepings and do 32 fl oz at a time. Black teas needed the full scaled ratio.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

What are the odds that this is actually legitimate LBZ?

http://teaurchin.com/shop-for-tea/puer/lao-ban-zhang-2017-spring.html

Last I heard it's basically impossible to get it and 99.99% of LBZs on the web are fake. This one is very young, seems like a reputable retailer, and the price seems accurate.

Might be, but it's not going to be the high quality thing you're looking for. I just wouldn't spend the money without knowing for certain. Sort of the same concept as buying an expensive older bottle of wine. You can't know for certain what you're getting unless you buy it from someone who takes the time to give it provenance, or buy it young yourself from the manufacturer.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

justFaye posted:

Wonderful! I'll get a Finum. Thanks!

I have a couple of the smaller size Finum and at least one of the larger size. Indispensable. I think you'll be happy with the purchase.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

RE: Water dispenser/heaters, they are OP as heck. Where I work is a coffee equipment place, and I'd say about 1/4 of the commercial contracts include some kind of water heater for tea solution. Sometimes a standalone model w/ cooler, sometimes built into the machine (e.g. BUNN drip brewer). People love those things.

You might want to mention that they tend to not make good tea if you just use it straight from the dispenser. I'm all for those things existing, but temp control is just as important for making good tea as it is good coffee. They just tend to be different temps.

In other news, I've started roasting coffee based on info in this thread. I'm using a 20 year old air popcorn popper to do it and it's actually turning out okay. Trying to dial in weights and times is a process and I'm starting to think I should have ordered 5# of the same bean just to really figure it out. It was my wife's idea, and she's pretty interested in that part of it too. She's not a big fan of the air popper, but it's too early to upgrade past the popper.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^^ This is apparently the tea thread not the coffee thread and Scaramouche posting here threw me entirely.

For penance in my thread confusion, I got a postcard in the mail that TeaSource is adding a Free Finium filter to orders over $30 until Oct 15. Use PCFILTER17 at checkout. It is the small one, but I have two that I use frequently that are at least six years old and still in great shape. Some light discoloration to the plastic, but nothing too terrible. I know there are others in this thread that really like this infuser as well.

It's this one:
https://www.teasource.com/collections/tea-infusers/products/small-finum-stainless-steel-tea-infuser

It looks like they have some Japanese greens on sale this month too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I adore those little Finum filters, I have four of them. When I just want a big cup of assam and I'm not feeling like faffing with pu-erh cakes and gong-fu and poo poo, this is where I go.

Yeah, they get regular use. The tea that TeaSource sells is not at all pretentious, and most of it is just a solid drink regularly without going broke sort of product. They do have a few more expensive teas, too, but it's mostly very reasonable. Shipping is whatever USPS charges them, so the costs are to you what they are to them.

The owner does like his big bold black teas (your Assams and Keemun for the most part), and I like the ones he sources. Some of those black blends (the ones with just tea) are regularly taking up shelf space for breakfast and the flavored blends all make pretty good iced tea.

Most of the greens are just fine, but I tend to buy my greens from TeaVivre instead.

I'm not associated with them, although I did work there for a month about 7 years ago before my wife got a job not in Minnesota and we moved away. In that month though, they made me drink about 85% of the product, so that was my first real experience in the world of tea.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Munkaboo posted:

How important is water tds and quality compared to coffee? I'm assuming not nearly.

You can certainly filter it, and the tea will probably taste better. Unless you like how your water already tastes in which case it probably won't matter. If you don't like how your water tastes to start, then you probably won't really like what it does to your tea and you should get a filter for brewing tea (and to drink water too).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

There's a larger size too. Pick the one that fits your pot.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

These guys came by the office:
https://teabot.com/

Startup for commercial/industrial loose tea vending. Interesting solution, they're using a high end boiler instead of a thermoblock and the whole thing is ordered by app on a bolted on tablet. The app is nice and lets you mix and match to your hearts' content. It seems ludicrously excessive, but there are actual use-cases for boutique mass servings of tea like this in the commercial world, think large employee campuses and high foot traffic/browsing areas like high end stores and dealerships. What impressed me is that their pitch wasn't about "disrupting" anything, they almost spent more time talking about the quality of the tea and how it was ethically sourced than the machine, which shows they've done their homework on the sourcing side at least. The tea itself was pretty nice and fast though I only tried a boring pre-made recipe.

That looks really cool and I almost want to order half a dozen and then start by putting them around the city in places. How do they deal with steeping times and the leaves? I'm kind of assuming they stay in the cup until the consumer removes them (if they remove them)?

I do imagine that if the one guy comes from a family with a tea shop that they'll be sourcing tea well, so that's really nice. Personally, I love that this makes K-cups look primitive.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I found a little sample package of this High Mountain Taiwan oolong http://www.teavivre.com/taiwan-high-mountain-oolong-tea/ in my cupboard. I wish I had drank it sooner. It was sealed, and still very floral and just a little sweet. Starting to get a little stale, but only just.

I just love how each different tea is a surprise in flavor based on so many different factors. Makes me sad to think that companies blend it all together to make something consistent and much more boring.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

kirtar posted:

High mountain oolong is pretty much my go to right now if I decide to use the tiny pot and cups. I think usually the third steeping is my favorite.

It was good for 5 steepings yesterday. The middle ones were definitely awesome. Would probably have been good for more, but I think 5 small pots of tea (or one large coffee mug size) is probably enough for one afternoon and evening. Short steepings was where it was best of about 45 seconds - 1.5 minutes. I will definitely be adding this to my next teavivre order.

Honestly, I didn't expect to like it as some of the greener oolongs don't really do it for me. Sad that I left it for as long as I did before trying it now. Honestly, I think it's that there are so many tea places in the US that just blend them into fruity blech that I never see the good stuff.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Abilizer posted:

I've recently discovered I really like tea and want to buy a kettle for home. Searching reviews I'm having a hard time finding one that won't rust/melt/leech chemicals after apparently short lengths of time at every price point. Even brands that usually coincide with high quality. I'd love something pretty but at this point I'll just take something functional I won't have to replace every few months. I'm okay with spending a good chunk of money on a kettle if it's really worth the price but a kettle that's more than $100 should last years, not months. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

But a $20 kettle. I've had a random Hamilton Beach for 3+ years by now and there's no rust or anything. All you really need in it is something that heats water to a boil. Unless you're planning on using it for pour over coffee, and then you're pretty much looking at a BonaVita I think. The gooseneck and even temp control are really unnecessary. Just use a cup and a thermometer if you want to get precise for things not wanting water at a boil.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fknlo posted:

What are some good teas for cold brewing regular old iced tea? I've been hooked on iced tea from Quik Trip for years but recently moved to a place without any QT's and haven't found anything comparable so I'm going to start brewing my own. I bought a couple of these brewers and will be starting with the breakfast teas I already have.

Try different teas in a variety you already like, then try making them cold. The more you try, the better of an idea you'll have when it comes to origin and style of leaf. Don't go buying anything that's $20/4oz or anything, but $6-10/4oz is a good place to start. There are a bunch of links to online tea shops in the OP, and most of them have good black teas to try. Without knowing what kind of tea you like, it's really hard to give recommendations, but this one is pretty decent and cheap enough to drink it a lot https://www.teasource.com/collections/china-black-teas/products/teasource-classic-iced-tea-black-tea .

Same for the greens, but I'm really in love with the ones TeaVivre has had the last couple years. Chinese greens not Japanese, but there are plenty of other shops that carry Japanese greens to make iced.

I should mention that TeaVivre is giving away free samples for a couple more days. No purchase necessary I think?

Cold brewing is super easy, just add water and pop it into your fridge overnight and remove the leaves when you're happy with the flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I also got coupon codes for TeaSource in my email this morning.

Free Shipping over $50 with SHIPTEA17 and $5 off a $30+ order with TEAGIFT17

There's also their tea of the month sub if you're into that thing for $10 off with GIFTSUB17 (It's an okay sub, but not really worth it unless you really like trying random things.)