Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

I've tried Golden Monkey, but it's a bit pricey for everyday drinking. I'll order some samplers and see if I can find something to expand the repertoire. Thanks folks.

Unlike English black tea blends, these will also taste good with multiple steeps. I get 3-5 in a day no problem with a western style steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

I have a dumb, super-noob question but is there any difference, flavor-wise, between English Breakfast and English Afternoon? A friend of mine brewed some Afternoon tea for me that she got at Buckingham Palace that was super good but my local grocery store seems to only have Breakfast (from brands like Twinings, Stash, etc). I tried looking online but the closest difference I could see is that Breakfast tea is "stronger" but I'm not sure what they mean by that.

Sorry, I know grocery store tea bags are probably frowned upon here but I'm on a bit of a budget right now :shobon: I really like Twinings' Lady Grey tea and am a big fan of Earl Grey in general. I'm not sure what brand Buckingham Palace sells...I'm willing to bet it's probably Twinings, or something, but I didn't check. In any case, I just really loved the flavor of the Afternoon tea and was wondering if Breakfast tea's flavor was similar.

It will taste different depending on the blend of tea put in the mix. There is no standard recipe across companies or named types, so find one that you like and drink that one. My favorite budget bag tea is Yorkshire Gold. Just try them one box at a time, and keep buying the box that you like the most.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I started doing iced tea again because it's spring, so I'm drinking about 1-2qt a day. That's 18g of tea in my batches, so 3-6 in a day right now.

Reusing leaves counts definitely, but if you're using a gaiwan your serving size is probably about half per brew.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

TheSpiffingBrit mentions Yorkshire Tea in pretty much all of his videos.

The pics he uses are always the stuff with the red label, but apparently there is also Yorkshire Gold?

My local stores also only seems to carry PG Tips (even Wegmans!), so I'll probably order a box from Amazon just to try it out.

Yorkshire Gold is tasty. It's a lot different than PG Tips which I find to be a much thinner tea. YG has more body, and doesn't get astringent like PG Tips does if you leave it a little long. I'd also call YG more earthy/malty. World Market is the only place I've seen it in a grocery section.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

angerbeet posted:

There's an Irish lady at work and she goes nuts for Yorkshire Gold. I enjoy it, but I think she's also just sick of the huge bag of Red Rose orange pekoe teabags that gets bought for office use.

Just by myself I go through 4 boxes of the 160 bag boxes in a year. It is a solid daily drinker. I've kept it in my desk to brew at work before and it was entirely worth it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been experimenting with hop extract added to tea, adding some bitterness and complexity. Are there any teas with more of a beer-like flavor that might scratch this itch too?

I've heard of some Assams and Keemuns being referred to as malty, but it's more malt adjacent. They would stand up to the hop extract pretty well as they can be big bold teas. Could always try it with some smokey lapsang souchong for an interesting option.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It's PG Tips, it's better to just throw it in the trash and drink the water.

PG Tips is around D tier bagged tea for me. Right down there by Lipton. Lipton's saving grace is that it makes okay iced tea that's cheap.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

For the same price i think you'd be better served with a Yunnan Sourcing sampler like this or maybe this.

Also don't feel like you have to start out doing gongfu brewing - if you're just trying to figure out if you want to get back into tea, a less involved method should at least be enough to tell you if you want to dive deeper. Good tea will taste good no matter the preparation method.

I'd probably start with the second sampler posted here. Probably a little more accessible and easy to brew if you're just getting into it. I routinely go with the grandpa method and just put the loose leaf in a glass and add water of about the right temperature and drink. However, I'd grab a decent basket filter and just start with Western style unless you're in love with the routine of gongfu brewing. I start at 3g per 8oz of water, but usually end up around 4g for that 8oz of water. There's a ton of options out there, and most of us even have our favorite bagged teas too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Framboise posted:

What are some good bagged teas to go for? My job has me on the road for most of the day, and the place I usually take my clients has hot water to use, but they charge 75 cents for teabags that you can get from the store at like, 20 for $3. Kinda dumb and not very tasty.

I just go for the big box of Yorkshire Tea Gold, because it’s strong and bold with the flavors. But try different ones. There was a mediocre bagged oolong I found once that was passable too.