Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Wow both Yunnan Sourcing and Teavivre are awesome haha, I've mainly ordered my tea from TeaGschwendner, but I can easily see myself ordering a whole bunch from Yunnan, they have tangerine stuffed tea! It's crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well thanks to this thread I have ordered my own first yellow tea, https://shop.tgtea.com/China-Yellow-Dragon-00541-100/7120/. It's waiting at home and am excited to try it out for the first time tonight!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Why is it a good idea to rinse pu-erh? I've seen the advice and even followed it but never thought about it until now.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My partner looooves Tejava, but it's hard to get with the whole quarantine. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of tea blend would be replicate that taste when iced?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does anyone have any nonconventional picks for teas that stand up to milk and sweetener? Chais as a whole, obviously, and Irish/English breakfast and certain Earl Grey blends. But if there’s anything else out there, I’m all ears; sometimes at breakfast I want to drink a stout, sweet tea and not wait fifteen minutes for it to cool.

I drink an East Frisian blend most days. It's quite stout, I don't usually add much to it but I know the tradition is cream and sugar, and when I do have milk to add it's quite nice.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

If anyone ever wants an intro to puer, red, white or oolong I’m always down to send samples. Shipping is cheap but slow from Taiwan

I don't know red tea, I assume you don't mean rooibos?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Postman posted:

Trying to expand into teas. I love brewing coffee and all of the different tedious ways I can do it, so I'm very open to any methods of preparation or serving. I'm also pretty open to anything in terms of flavor profiles.

Right now I have a bunch of tea bags I don't really like, and a tin of Harney & Sons Mutan White that I got as a gift with this infuser. I like the white tea a lot. I've also got some cast-iron tea pot with a mesh strainer in it that I bought locally as part of a set. I've never used it based on the assumption it's supposed to be used to make a larger quantity of tea, and I'm mostly just doing a couple brews with the infuser.

I guess these are my questions:

Besides the list in the OP are there any online vendors I can check out, and do you recommend anything specific? I'm happy to try out a wide variety to get an idea of what I enjoy most.
Are there any baseline weight ratios I should be starting from, or will that vary depending on the type of tea? Am I wrong in assuming tea is a little more forgiving than coffee in terms of ratios?
Any other brewing/serving methods I can try out? I read a little bit about gongfu and it seems up my alley. As long as it's not a huge expense or a gimmick I'm interested.
Do I need to look into anything specific for storage, or will whatever starting stuff I get likely come in the appropriate containers?

Looking forward to boiling more leaves.

I've found that water temp also plays a huge role in how the finished product tastes. For black teas I tend to prefer water just off the boil, there's very few things I like less than black tea brewed with the hot water spout that comes out at 190, at the same time there are green teas that taste glorious at that temp. Essentially don't be afraid to try different water temperatures for your teas and see what you like.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Where's a good entry point for oolong? I've mainly had out in Chinese restaurants and really enjoyed it when it's actual tea leaves. But just checking online there's a whole lot of variety which left me a bit wrong footed trying to figure out where to start going a bit deeper.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Mine has been an organic Shui Hsien (Xian), from Fujian Province but not on Wuyi Moutain. Its very modestly priced but has a very complex flavor that, once I learned how to brew it (thanks for folks ITT) it has really paid off well. It is apparently your standard "restaurant tea" but it tastes so much better than any I've had before. I'd be perfectly happy to settle on this as a daily driver but the experimental spirit says try more! My next will be a more expensive rock oolong from Wuyi, and then we'll see where we go from there. (Phoenix perhaps?)

Awesome, thanks, I'll check that, are you brewing it Gong Fu style?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My partner got me the breville one touch tea maker for a gift. I don't know if not having used it I would have bought it for myself not having owned it, but I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Trabant posted:

quote:

In its research, the PG Tips found that 85 per cent of tea drinkers leave the bag in to brew for under a minute, while a staggering 45 per cent bin their teabag after less than 30 seconds.

Come on

It's not tea, it's hot leaf water!