Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I just bought loose leaf tea for the first time in a long time. Is there a major difference between Assam Banaspaty and Assam Doomni?

I like my tea with a tsp of both milk and sugar, so I pretty much skipped over Darjeeling teas (so I’ve been told, it doesn’t mix well with milk).

If I like English Breakfast teas, are there any other types of tea I’d like?

I’m just flying by the seat of my cuffs here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks a lot guys. There’s a lot to take in with tea, apparently. All I used to drink was Lipton Yellow Label and Yorkshire Gold. This is a whole new world.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
What's a good price-to-quality ratio for tea? How far is too far when it comes to price? I'm talking Assam, Ceylon, or Yunnan. Mostly.

I've spent $100 on tea easily at David's Tea, I just spent $170 at Camellia Sinensis. I just wanna find a happy medium so my fiance doesn't murder me in my sleep for killing our budget on tea.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I just made two decent orders. From Harney & Sons:

- Supreme Breakfast
- Paris
- Chocolate
- English Breakfast
- Pumpkin Spice HT
- Vanilla Comoro

And from Upton:

- Organic Wiry Green Tea
- North Tukvar Estate First Flush
- New Zealand Oolong
- Premium China Yunnan TGFOP
- Yunnan Golden Monkey Supreme
- Japanese Sencha
- Organic English Breakfast Blend
- British Blend Sampler
- China Yunnan Rare Grade

Anything I should look at for my next batch? I’ve never experienced Oolongs or Pu Erhs. Nor have I had any white teas that weren’t pomegranate flavoured. Or matcha. Direct me, my friends. My wallet is yours.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Canadian customs has held my Upton Tea Order for almost a week now. I just want it already.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

gamingCaffeinator posted:

That is just fine! I'm really glad you found one you like!

Now I have a question though. What exactly is the difference between English, Irish, and Scottish Breakfast teas? I've tried all three and haven't been able to figure it out, and Wikipedia is unhelpful.

I might be wrong, because I don't really know and am taking a guess, but I'd guess that it'd be the combinations of different types of tea.

Might be wrong though.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
What’s the best bang for your buck re: gyokuro and matcha? Who sells the best quality for a non ridiculous price?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Boba Pearl posted:

Does anyone have a good Chai Tea recipe?

I use the one from Priya's cookbook, Indian-ish:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/chai-formula

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
What’s the best everyday Sencha?

I get confused by all the names since they still don’t mean anything to me.

Currently buying from Camelia Sinensis in Montreal. If another tea vendor sells a better or more cost effective sencha, let me know.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I just ordered my first real Japanese load:

- 50g Gyokuro Tamohare ($65CAD !!!)
- 100g Sencha Yame
- 100g Sencha Ashikubo

I’m going through Camellia Sinensis in Montreal, and have no idea the differences between the types of Gyokuros and Sencha. There’s so many options with no real definition as to why the gyokuro I bought was $65 for 50g when another one with a different name, Gyokuro Shizuoka, is only $16 for 50g.

This type of tea is still very new to me.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
So, the gyokuro tamahore from camellia Sinensis was super nice. Really gentle green tea with a very vegetal flavour. My wife doesn’t like it, but I think it’s great. Low caffeine, as well. 14mg per 250ml.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I have two separate Senchas with the same order. One from Yame and one from Ashikubo. So we’ll see how she feels about them.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
What’s the best green for cold brewed tea? I can’t imagine my Sencha would transfer well in cold. The steamed spinach doesn’t sound as pleasant when cold, lol. A Chinese green?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Normally, I don’t pay much attention to the sample packs companies add into my tea orders, but I was bored with Sencha two days ago and tried a longjing sample pack and, WOW!

I loved it so much I immediately placed a 500g order of more of it (as well as some bancha).

I’ve been searching for a green tea like that. I also bought two wulongs with that order:

- Bai Hao
- Lingtou Yuan Wei Dancong

Still haven’t delved into wulongs too deeply (and haven’t even looked at Pu’uerh yet).

So this was a fun purchase.

Stay safe, y’all.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Can someone more knowledgeable help me out?

I have both a Kyusu and a gaiwan set. The tea place recommends for both (with their respective teas) multiple infusions of very short times (30-50sec) and me and my fiancé are noticing that they don’t bring as much flavour, even over multiple infusions.

For example, a Sencha ashikubo steeped for 35 seconds in the kyusu doesn’t have the vegetal flavours from 2min in the teapot. Both are 4g of tea.

Another example is a Meng Ding Huang Ya yellow tea I bought- some of the infusions in the gaiwan are 5g at 20 seconds or so. The flavour is light and barely noticeable, whereas a 5min brew at 80C of 3g in my teapot has a nice solid sweet flavour with a woody after taste.

How am I loving this up?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
We haven’t been rinsing the leaves prior. I warm the gaiwan (and kyusu) and the cups, but never thought to do the leaves. That’ll make the difference?

The gaiwan is smaller than an apple and 5g of Meng Ding Huang Ya takes up about 3/4 of it.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Officially ordered my first pu-er tea and a gongfu cha (sp?). I’m excited. I’ve never tried a pu-er and I’m falling in love with wulongs and am now diving into an all Chinese tea journey.

This is fun.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Gongfu = kungfu
Cha = tea

That's the style of tea brewing you want to practice. In gongfu tea the brewing device is a lidded bowl called a gaiwan or a small teapot.

Welcome to the leafy side

https://camellia-sinensis.com/en/product/5579

This is what I assumed was called a gongfu cha, but I guess it’s just a small teapot.

These are the pu-ers that I bought. I have no idea about anything about the names or how good years are but I simply liked the explanations of their taste. Does anyone with knowledge know if I made a good choice?

https://camellia-sinensis.com/en/product/4450
https://camellia-sinensis.com/en/product/4457

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Hey guys. Weird question. My girl doesn’t really like tea but she likes those canned iced green tea drinks. I know it’s mostly sugar and what not, but I was trying to figure out what type of green tea would make the closest flavour profile.

I’ve thought that a sencha would make a delicious iced, but not sure. Looking for any advice.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
My girlfriend and a lot of the people I grew up around (Native) grew up on the rez. That means a lot of them grew up with nothing more than yellow label or red rose. What types of teas should I buy to try and open their eyes to the world of tea?

Cuz it's a struggle to get her to try anything but red rose. I was able to talk her into yorkshire gold and it was a struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

aldantefax posted:

What do you have reasonable access to? There are good teas at most every price point from most every preparation method, with or without sweetener, etc.

we live in northern ontario. around here, we don't have tea shops, but I have access to these guys for a pretty decent price: https://camellia-sinensis.com/en