Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Sevn posted:

Just curious, how many of you tea drinkers have tried some of the stuff from Taiwan? We get a ton of types of tea here, including the Tie Guanyin. There are a hundred tea shops in every city, not to mention the drink shops you can buy tea at. Taiwanese people tend to add a ton of sugar to their tea if they buy it at the tea vendor (understandable because it is very bitter), but I have come across a few oolongs and greens here that are pretty good.

According to Wikipedia, "Oolongs grown in Taiwan account for about 20% of world production." And I have definitely had some great oolong tea here.

Edit: One thing, before I came here, I had never heard of "oolong green tea", but I tried it when I came here. It is just oolong tea and green tea mixed together, though I am not sure of any ratios.

Edit2: Little trivia for you guys. In Chinese, green tea is, aptly named green tea. Oolong tea, on the other hand is 烏龍, which is "black dragon" or "dark dragon" tea.

When dealing with tea, Taiwan is usually known as Formosa, just like how Sri Lanka is always called Ceylon.

I've bought two Formosan teas (both oolongs), but I didn't think either were remarkable enough to deserve a second purchase. Do you have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cizzo posted:

I got some pretty generic Tie-Guan-Yin from Upton and I have to say, it's pretty good. I'm new to the world of teas outside of my own little world but this stuff is amazing. It almost tastes sweet as an after-taste. Definitely would recommend it to those who want to try something.

And Upton also gave me a free sample of Darjeeling Ftgfopi. No idea what this stuff is but hey, if it's free, I'll try it.

It's from the Darjeeling region of India, and is graded "Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe" (i= First Flush?) It also comically stands for "Far too good for ordinary people", because unless you drink a lot of tea you probably won't notice.

In general, the more adjectives the tea has the better it is.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Twining's loose leaf is reasonably good quality for the price. The orange tin is a pretty standard Ceylon OP, but I think the purple tin Darjeeling is a BOP and not that great. The Prince of Wales and Earl Grey are also fair quality.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

If you unevenly heat your water, it will show signs of boiling at a lower average temperature. One part can be 212, while another might only be 140. You can stir it together to even it out, but it will probably end up quite a bit less than 200. You can probably fix this by continuing to microwave the water for a long time after it starts to boil or by using a much lower power setting. But under normal use of a microwave I think most people would be under heating their water for black tea.