Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

yeah this is pretty individual and a general rec for a teapot isn't always going to work. That said, here's the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZSA84J/

I like glass teapots, and the spout on that one pours very well. It's pretty large though, so I would get smaller unless you're like me and mostly make tea to put in a giant mug/thermos and sip over the course of a day. Or multiple people in your household like tea I suppose.

I have this one and I like that it makes 3 cups and that I can use it on the stovetop. I use an infrared thermometer to tell how hot it is. However, the infuser basket can be a little small, preventing the tea leaves from opening all the way depending on what kind of tea you're making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I got some tea flowers, which are camellia sinensis buds harvested in Yunnan. The flavor isn't as assertive or piquant as most teas, but it's smooth and kind of smoky. Worth trying.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I want a pitcher for making iced tea by pouring hot tea over ice. I am concerned that if I use a plastic pitcher, the near-boiling water will leach out nasty chemicals but if I use a glass pitcher it might break due to the extreme shift from cold to hot. Is there a good pitcher for this?

e: I have a BPA-free plastic pitcher, is that good enough?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 12, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jhet posted:

Possibly not. Metal pitchers exist and would be great for this, but I would just use a sauce pan if I didn't want to buy something new.

I was thinking of getting a glass pitcher that says hot/cold, like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Ounces-Glass-Pitcher-Water-Beverage/dp/B01JGO8DHC/

Eventually it will develop a crack from this use but I'll bet I can brew a lot of iced tea before that.

Wait actually reviews are extremely bad on that one! Maybe metal is best.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Stuporstar posted:

Triton is a plastic that can take going from boiling to cold and is supposed to be super food safe. David’s Tea uses it for its iced tea pitchers. I think anything made from borosilicate glass can handle it too. I have a Primula glass teapot, that admittedly I haven’t tried making iced tea with though, just regular tea. But I have poured boiling water directly into pyrex (real borosilicate pyrex, DO NOT attempt with their soda-lime poo poo) ramekins filled with ice.

That’s one way of making iced tea, with a teapot and a pitcher. Make the tea in the teapot and then pour over the ice in the pitcher. By the time the liquid makes contact with the pitcher, it’ll be cooled enough to not cause heat shock.

I've been brewing the tea in a pot on the stove and pouring it into a glass full of ice, but I'm sure the glass won't last doing this. Isn't this the usual way to do it? I know there's cold brew options but it seems like brewing hot (65-100 C depending on the tea) will get me the best flavor.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

We use this for making iced tea. It works well. Went through one with a crack that never failed but we replaced preemptively. I'm pretty sure the crack itself was from me banging it against the counter.

Borosilicate Glass Pitcher with Lid and Spout - 68 Ounces Cold and Hot Water Carafe with Unique Diamond Pattern, Beverage Pitcher for Homemade Iced Tea and Juice. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HJ692V/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ANEW66AS0QBBQHD220AW

This worked out nicely. The pitcher's pretty well-designed though I don't necessarily trust the seal on the lid. I like to brew a little stronger than usual and immediately cool over a bunch of ice to preserve the flavor as much as possible, though obviously iced tea can't taste quite like hot tea.

Also I bought this teapot:

Hawkperson posted:

yeah this is pretty individual and a general rec for a teapot isn't always going to work. That said, here's the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZSA84J/

I like glass teapots, and the spout on that one pours very well. It's pretty large though, so I would get smaller unless you're like me and mostly make tea to put in a giant mug/thermos and sip over the course of a day. Or multiple people in your household like tea I suppose.

It's good because I can put it on the stovetop, but mine is 1400 ml instead of 1000 ml. That's not especially a problem but I wonder if other people noticed this? It took me a while to figure out why I was getting 6 cups of tea from a pot.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

When I brew decent tea I usually steep it a few times, and I've found that inching up the temperature helps the flavor of the later extractions.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Kestral posted:

Do folks have any recommendations for a stovetop kettle that isn't complete garbage? Looking to pick one up as a gift for my mother, who doesn't like the electrics for her own reasons that I'm not going to argue with her about, and it seems like the build quality on anything under $100 is just shockingly low now: everything I've seen so far has had reviews like, "the coating on the interior came right off into my water after four weeks," or "the hot water literally melted the plastic" with pictures to back it up. I'd love to know if I can get her something that will stand the test of time.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZSA84J

This one is good for both heating water on an electric stovetop and brewing the tea. I actually found it's about 1.5 liters, which is weird but whatever.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So there's a Chinese herb called Nuo Mi Xiang that tastes like sticky rice and companies in Yunnan province make pu'erh with a small amount of the herb. This is the best tea I have ever had, swear to god. https://yunnansourcing.com/products/2020-yunnan-sourcing-nuo-mi-xiang-ripe-pu-erh-tea-and-sticky-rice-herb

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

isaboo posted:

went to the local korean shop today and got some ti kuan yin, oolong, and corn tea.

never even heard of corn tea before. I don't hate it, but the smell is definitely better than the taste imo. there just isn't much mouthfeel or flavor, unless I brewed it too hot

I'm partial to roasted buckwheat or barley, as tisanes go

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You can also use em for Burmese tea leaf salad. Typically people will buy premade tea leaf stuff but you don't have to.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I went to the Russian grocery store and picked up a jar containing a "blend of Indian-Ceylon black tea and green sencha tea with the addition of flowers and rosebuds, jasmine, sunflower, mallow, pieces of papaya and mango". It's actually pretty good if you want tea that tastes like everything.

I've also been enjoying kukicha, Japanese green tea made from stems and twigs of the tea plant. I think I prefer it to "normal" Japanese greens.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PacketCharmer posted:

That just seems like it'd be a hopeless cacophony of flavors. Did they clash or somehow harmonize?

Pretty good actually. I brew it at 195 F so the green tea doesn't get bitter and honestly the mix of flower and a little fruit is pretty refreshing. It doesn't have that overwhelming flavor that flower petal tisanes can have.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Currently I get most of my tea from The Tao of Tea (I live near their shop) and Yunnan Sourcing. What are some other sites that have a large selection of good tea? Yunnan Sourcing has a really impressive variety but I want to shop around.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the best way to store a ripe pu-erh cake? I see that the general recommendation is not too hot or cold and low humidity. Could I just keep the cake in the wrapping and put it with my other tea in a kitchen cabinet?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

JNCO BILOBA posted:

At my shop we store it in Tupperware, at my home I have a cabinet specifically for ripe puer but I should probably make that airtight somehow.

But an airtight container will stop aerobic fermentation, right? It seems like I would want it to keep fermenting slowly to preserve and develop the flavor.

e: I don't know why I said pu'erh. I bought this white tea cake: https://yunnansourcing.com/products/2022-yunnan-sourcing-man-gang-tea-flowers-white-tea-cake

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 7, 2023

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been experimenting with hop extract added to tea, adding some bitterness and complexity. Are there any teas with more of a beer-like flavor that might scratch this itch too?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The extract goes well with barley tea and buckwheat tea. I'll have to try the roasted corn tea too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

In the US if you order tea at a coffee joint you're likely to get a tea bag in a cup with no way to dispose of the bag. Pretty annoying