Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Good evening tea thread. I'm in the market for a proper teapot, but I'm kind of at a loss w/r/t all the options out there. I'm looking for something that's good to use interchangeably between types, everything from earl grey and herbal teas like spicy rooibos blends to green tea and hōjicha and so on. Now, I know that unglazed pots are bad for this since it will absorb the oils and tastes from steeping, so you'd want to have one pot for one specific tea, but other than that I'm at a complete loss. Should I get something with a filter/strainer or without? Would cast iron be best, or should I go with some fancy modern glass or stainless steel type thing? Or glazed ceramics/porcelain type teapot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Thanks a bunch. Its intended use is most primarilly at home, so I'll just stop overthinking it and just find something with an aesthetic that makes me go "yes! this is what I want" without breaking the bank. I'll probably tumble down the rabbit hole sooner or later, so I'll just keep those fancy old chinese pots on the backburner for now.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

glomkettle posted:

Another thing to consider is how quickly you're going to drink the tea. If you tend to leave it sitting for longer periods of time and very slowly working through it (particularly with a larger pot), you'll want to put a little thought toward heat retention. Looks are definitely #1 though to begin with.

I'll probably go through a couple or three cups or so per serving, and I guess somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes per cup? What's a simple ballpark ranking of material as far as heat retention goes?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'm using a teaball type infuser already, but m noticing that I usually drink more than just one cup at a time, so I figured a teapot would be more practical since I could just pour another cup instead of having to boil water again for each successive serving. A strainer where the tea floats around freely in the mug wouldn't really change much as is, since I would still have to fill up and turn the electric kettle on each time anyway.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Even still, I want to prepare more than one cup at a time, which is the reason I'm looking for a teapot in the first place. I'm already sometimes and sometimes not resteeping, I'm already going on a "cup by cup basis". I want something more, not a different way of doing the exact same bloody thing.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone know what type of oolong Palais des Thés' "butterfly of Taiwan" is, other than highly oxidised? http://www.palaisdesthes.com/en/butterfly-of-taiwan-252.html

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I bought a hagi ware teacup from a japanese shop called Thés du Japon, and they were kind enough to send me a free sample of a Sencha which was pretty good http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=374

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

oh, and Yunnan Sourcing is running a sale on oolongs these days (add oolong12 to vouchers at checkout for a 12% discount), so I went ahead and grabbed a few teas. I followed that wuyi-guide from teaDB and made sure to get one from each of the three varieties they recommended (shui xian, da hong pao and rou gui) in addition to a couple of other things. hope I dind't make a mess of this

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/anxi-oolongs/2639-premium-jin-xuan-milk-oolong-tai-hua-gao-shan-tea.html

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/oolongtea/3378-roasted-aa-grade-dan-cong-oolong-tea-mi-lan-xiang-spring-2015.html

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/wuyimountainrockoolongs/3459-5-years-aged-da-hong-pao-oolong-tea-from-wu-yi-mountain.html

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/wuyimountainrockoolongs/3485-phoenix-village-hua-xiang-shui-xian-oolong-tea-spring-2015.html

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/dan-cong-oolongs/3500-king-of-duck-poo poo-aroma-dan-cong-oolong-tea-spring-2015.html

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/wuyimountainrockoolongs/3501-wu-yi-shan-rock-tea-classic-rou-gui-oolong-tea-spring-2015.html

ulvir fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 29, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hello milk oolong I love you

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

are any of you able to identify this mini tuo? I bought a bunch from a rather small vendor in Norway, and the only things they mentioned about it was that it was a 2010 sheng pu-erh from the Wuliang mountains. I kinda want to know what I got, but since it's my first try at raw it's more out of curiosity than anything else.

1st angle

2nd angle

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

agadhahab posted:

http://www.runmingtea.com/prre009-2010-spring-wuliang-mountain-mini-raw-pu-er-tuocha-p-1387.html

Looks like you picked a good one for a blind first try. It's even organic!

thanks. I've never heard of Runming Tea before, are they reputable?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ah, cool. thanks

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've finally run out of a generic COFCO-made ripe pu-erh I bought last spring, so I'm looking for something else. which of these would you recommend?

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/2016-yunnan-sourcing-pu-erh-teas/4014-2016-yunnan-sourcing-immortal-monkey-wild-arbor-ripe-pu-erh-tea-cake.html
http://yunnansourcing.com/en/2015/3533-2015-yunnan-sourcing-green-miracle-wild-arbor-ripe-pu-erh-tea.html
http://yunnansourcing.com/en/yunnan-sourcing-teas/2268-2012-yunnan-sourcing-yong-de-blue-label-ripe-pu-erh-tea-cake.html
http://yunnansourcing.com/en/2012-yunnan-sourcing-pu-erh-teas/2076-2012-yunnan-sourcing-man-tang-hong-te-ji-ripe-pu-erh-tea-cake.html

I'm kind of leaning towards the 2016 one or possibly 2015 (first and second link) since I haven't had any arbor-type teas yet (as far as I know), but the other two will be 12% off, so I guess I could use some extra input on this

ulvir fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 16, 2016

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

I would really recommend a few years aged ripe pu cause the freshly pressed stuff is likely going to be funky and need some airing out or you'll be tasting that familiar fishyness that comes from the pile fermentation procedure. Personally I can barely tell the diff between halfway decent ripe pu and the old arbor/ancient tree stuff, it's usually more important to pay attention to the leaf grade used in the blends, like imperial grade will be made mostly from buds, which infuses really, really fast and has a very up-front punchiness, and huangpian large leaf will have more lasting power and generally be on the mellower side. Good blends use a mix of different grades that will balance out throughout a gongfu session.

fwiw crimson lotus's iron forge was my favorite daily drinker shou for a while. I can't really comment on YS's ripe selection since I mostly get cheap shengs from them.

so generally speaking about 2 years and older? guess I'll look into the iron forge. it might be just above my budget, but at the same time it's nearly twice as heavy as most other cakes and bricks, so it looks like I get my money's worth at least

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've liked every pu-erh I've been having up to now, so I can't imagine not liking the iron forge. I'm leaning towards spending a few bucks extra to get that one.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

went ahead and ordered it, so it's gonna be a long-assed time until I run out of ripe pu-erh again. might post a short review/trip report once it's in, if you'd like

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

re: Crimson Lotus's Iron Forge

I've only brewed it western style so far, but I really like this one. the earthy aroma is a lot more appealing than the fishy aroma from my previous ripe. gonna give it a gongfu brewing tomorrow in hopes of getting some more nuanced tastes out of it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

yeah I noticed it stayed pretty much the same throughout, with only a minor change in aroma from the 5th steeping, where the earthy smell fades ever so slightly and you get a little hint of fermentation. wasn't too much difference in taste between western and gongfu-brewing either, to be honest.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

out of curiosity though, how is the procedure for grandpa brewing exactly? like grams per ml and so on.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

as long as it's within the same day it's no problem. I've never resteeped the day after, but I imagine the worst that will happen is that it'll taste a bit bland maybe

when doing it how we're used to in the west, I get about three rounds from the same handful of leaves.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Uhh I'll usually just put about 3 grams in a coffee mug, pour hot water and keep refilling once it gets halfway down. Add more tea when it starts to weaken, keep drinking till you're done. Not very complicated!

Ineffiable posted:

The real answer is you just dump a teaspoon of leaves in a mug and then use boiling water.

If tea is too weak, keep adding half a teaspoon until you have desired flavor.

thanks.

Ineffiable posted:

Grandpa style is basically hardcore gently caress the rules style, just asking for parameters goes against the entire spirit of it.

I was mainly asking just so I could avoid ending up with something incredibly nasty (like bitter and really overbrewed) if I were to try it out

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I picked up some of their raw pu'er minituos.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

DurianGray posted:

Hey everybody!

It's been great to see this thread keep chugging along for nearly 5 years (!?). Since it's been a while, I'm looking to maybe update the OP and would love to know if you guys have any recommendations, or if there's anything else you'd like to see on there. I've noticed a few links to vendors seem to be dead now so I'll probably be removing some of them if I can't find a working link.

(I did just add Teavivre since I noticed it wasn't on.)

Taiwan Sourcing, Yunnan Sourcing, Crimson Lotus tea and White2tea should deffo be added on there.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

you can also go hog wild with pretty cheap 25g samples on White2Tea

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jhet posted:

but for my tastes, it's a bit tame. It's not bland, but it's single note doesn't leave me really wanting the tea often.

that's the exact same experience I have with their raw minituos. if I drink it I usually oversteep it on purpose just to get some sort of flavour out of it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

wow, White2Tea will have a new steady customer from now on. out of the 6 samples of raw puer I bought I've tasted 5, and every single one has been great so far.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just pick up any ol' pot you can find, either glazed porcelain or glass, and buy an additional strainer if the pot comes without a basket infuser. no need to break the bank if "all" you want is a cup of earl grey or something similar. just avoid cast iron pots, they have a tendency to make the tea taste burnt.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

some people who are crazy into aging puer tends to use modified fridges and winecoolers as humidors, but that's the exception

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

buy a kintsugi repair kit

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if you think the tea tastes good, then that's good enough

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

japanese houjicha (green tea and stems which has been roasted) and dark roasted oolongs such as da hong pao, rou gui, shui xian and dancong also have low-to-very little caffeine content and they all taste delicious. so you could give those a try too.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

5s steeping is more than enough, imo. if you want to explore further on I can recommend 2016 Daily Drinker, Tyler and Poundcake from W2T. all available as samples so you don't need to dive right into a cake blindly. also might want to mess about with different ages as well if you can. aged sheng tastes different to young sheng, and so on. and then there's ripe

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ordered a whole bunch of samples from W2T's 2017 teas. I'm looking forward to taste this one in particular. I've tried Yiwu-area sheng before and I really loved the taste.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

For reference I usually go with 6-7g of tea in a 100ml container. It really is a lot of leaves compared to any other method.

but it seems to grant a whole lot more cups of tea than the western way, so i find it pays off in the long run. Plus you can let the pot and leaves sit overnight and carry on brewing the next day.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

basket infusers are pretty great for those situations where having a teapot around isn't doable (like work or whatever)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’d love to try a 90's (or older) puer sometime, but I have a really hard time justifying the cost.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just got the 2017 year of the rooster off of Bitterleaf Teas. it came in a cute cardboard gift box :3: they were kind enough to throw in a free sample of a mengku puer as well, which I'm drinking now. its kind of astringent, like a green tea, but then there's this cooling, sweet aftertaste with just a slight bitterness right at the end. am I right in assuming this is a characteristic of mengku area, or what?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I think it goes with anything else, the quality's only gonna be as good as the vendor you go with. White2Tea's is interesting, apparently they dip pretty often into the private reserve stock that's not sold in their web store, but it's pretty steep at $30 a month.

there's apparently been a few times where W2T gave an entire cake of puer

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Without knowing much about specific tea names, is this a good or bad thing

this is a good thing. between 200g-357g worth of what I’ve heard is pretty good tea for about 30 bucks

for reference: most of their cakes that they sell regularly goes for at least 50 bucks or more. but this has only happened twice or so from what I’ve read, so I don’t think it’s a regular thing. I don’t subscribe to any clubs myself personally. I assume there’s more in it for the vendor with this kind of thing than the customer.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the scent can vary. ripe is supposed to smell a little bit fermented, but if it smells like fish and/or outright nasty even after a couple of weeks, then it’s really poo poo quality.