Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have a fairly bad problem. I really, really enjoy the white teas, and while I can get passable at home (over the course of a loving long time experimenting with dropping pieces of ice into the water to attain the right temperature, then working on narrowing down the steeping time) at work we've got a hot water tap (you know, the kind they slap on the side of a coffee machine, it typically has a red handle, the water is basically superheated) which I am almost positive shoots out water that has no damned business being that loving hot (it makes my local tea shop's Irish breakfast taste like a mouthful of sticks and grass after ~4 mins steeping) yet somehow isn't immediately boiling.

Basically I'm wondering if anyone has any tips so I don't have to look like a prick with a thermometer and a stopwatch as an alternative to the current "drown that grassy taste in sugar" tactic I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NihilCredo posted:

Wait, what? When I see cane sugar in stores (or in small packets in coffee bars), it's brown, coarser, and has a noticeably different taste from regular white beet sugar.

I can figure the 'coarser' part, but is the rest also merely a deliberate choice in the refining process, i.e. unrelated to the plant used?

Yep. The brown color is actually what didn't get refined out into molasses (which is the leftover gunk from making beets or cane into sugar).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

areyoucontagious posted:

I started drinking english breakfast tea and earl grey with a coworker, and now I can't get enough. I see people put milk in their tea- how does that change the taste? I'm curious to try it, but really I'm afraid of change.

It's amazing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

milpreve posted:

Making iced: Teavana's Snow Geisha, with a pinch of dried stevia. Light, cherry, sweet; perfect iced tea. I seem to prefer white teas iced, though. And only Snow Geisha because I work at Teavana and get to make drinks on my shift. I've also been having our Monkey Picked Oolong iced because I can't bear to throw down the drain our sample when it's made right.

Seconding monkey picked oolong for iced tea, it's amazing.

Maybe not as good as the Ceylon Star blend from The Tea Smith (possibly local to me, not sure) but that's probably the price talking.